A Wolf's Heart

3

Makani’s POV

Running with Red made everything seem normal. Like my family wasn’t dead. No, just me, Red, and the forest.

We spotted a deer drinking peacefully from a lake. She was alone so it was easy. Red let me lead.

Completely soundless, I ran over to her. At the last second she saw me and tried to run but I threw my arms around her neck and tackled her to the floor. Red was right behind me and he bit at her throat, cutting off her breathing. She still struggled like mad and managed to kick my head.

But finally she fell limp. We both ate until our bellies were both full. There was still a huge slab of meat so I carried it on my shoulders. We raced back to Darin, laughing and yelping on the way.

When we knew we were close we started racing. Red gracefully leaped over every rock and weaved through all the trees. I did just the same.

I saw the house and me and Red were tied, at last second I threw the meat off my shoulders and right in front of him. He stumbled and yelped in surprise while I laughed and crashed through the bush of the finish line.

I searched for Darin and he was laughing at our antics, as usual. Standing next him were big unfamiliar men. They were all dark, big, and scary looking. But they reminded me of Darin so it didn’t worry me too much.

One looked at me in the eye and something in his face changed. And if I actually lived with humans, I would have known what it meant. But I didn’t.

Then Red landed beside me, looking gloomy and mad. He pounced on me and we wrestled on the ground. He was snarling and I growled back. He bit my shoulder, but not too hard. I, in return, bit his ear and didn’t let go. He whimpered but didn’t loosen his hold, he bit down harder. So did I. He finally gave me back my shoulder, so I freed him as well. Then he pounced again and licked me all over my face.

I giggled and shoved him off me. I looked at Darin to see him talking to those people again. His back facing us. I looked toward Red and we made a silent plan. Silently, we crept closer and closer. The others noticed and sent us confused looks. Once Darin turned to see what they were looking at, we pounced.

He landed with an audible ‘oomph’ and we landed on top. He sent us “a look” and we smiled innocently back. Then I gave him a big sloppy kiss on the lips.

He was ripped out from under us.

Me and Red tumbled backwards. I could hear the cracking bones of two people shifting. I looked up to see Darin in his wolf form and a unfamiliar gray wolf. They looked angry.

The need to protect my alpha was strong, I can’t lose someone else. I jumped in front of Darin right as the gray one swiped.

Long claws penetrated my skin, on my left side. It was deep and the blood poured out but I stood my ground. The growls immediately stopped.

The gray one, his eyes; sorrow, regret, pain. It hurt to look into those eyes as they filled with tears.

Darin growled in back of me, a growl of anger. But before he could attack, the gray one turned and took off into the forest.

Darin turned me around and laid me on the ground. My blood still poured, I was losing a lot. The last thing I was awake for was a pale man walking toward me and the most sorrow filled howl of a wolf.

Paul's POV

My chest was tightening, my breath hitched in my throat. Visions of her filled my mind; her on top of him, her kissing him. Her eyes filled with hate, she needs to protect him. Her eyes filled with pain, the gashes were deep. I hurt her.

I kept running. I imagined how she would crumple, how hard would she fall? I imagined the pools of water in her eyes finally overflowing; each drop was a slice to my heart.

I saw the blood pouring out, creating rivers of red. How much blood can a human lose before…

I howled in deep agony. My own eyes overflowed. All my fault. I hurt her!

It hurt even more when I realized how far away she was from me.

But I didn’t stop running.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short...comment???
:)