A Wolf's Heart

4

A she-wolf the size of a horse ran through the forest, a pale man right beside her. But they moved fast. So fast you would think it was just the wind.

But no one could miss the ghostly wails of the baby in the man’s arms. The man, whose face was covered with panic, tried to calm the crying baby. With little success, he ran faster.

Faster and faster the couple and baby went. The wolf’s eyes were panicked and pained. The man tried to show courage, but he knew they had no chance.

They glided through the forest, over every root and under every branch. The baby’s screams bounced off every surface and echoed through the trees.

Together they skidded to a stop. At a stream, they gently placed the baby down.

This stream was too deep in the forest for human contact but it was too late to turn back. The gentle sound of the waterfall did little too calm their nerves.

The wolf phased. In its spot a women stood. Tears already formed in her eyes The man saw this and wrapped his arms around her.

No words were spoken, all hope is lost. The wind picked up. Blowing in the direction they were running. Taking the baby’s cries and scent with it.

The women knelt by the baby and whispered softly.

“Copilul meu. Partea şi lupul vampir şi jumătate, va fi puternic. Vei fi numit Makani, care au scăpat cu vântul. Să spiritele noastre ghid vă.”

The couple shared one more embrace. The women was sobbing, the man looked like he wanted to.

“Our baby girl,” Then they took off the same way they came.

The baby’s eyes looked up. Her wails finally stopped. Her eyes locked onto the animals that were slowly coming her way.

She couldn’t hear the violent screeches hundreds of miles away. She couldn’t see the blood pouring out of her parent’s body. She couldn’t feel the terror that her parents felt.

This baby, so filled with innocence, didn’t know of the war that was happening because of her existence.


Then, Makani woke up.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's short :P
comments?
:D