A Wolf's Heart

6

Darin’s POV

Makani is up to something. I’m not sure what exactly, but she has a secret.

At first, I thought she was feeling the effects of just waking up. Then, I thought she was sad because of the distance between her and Paul. Not that she knew anything about imprints.

But then she started getting more distant. She tried to act normal. But when she was deep in thought, she wouldn’t look me in the eye. If she did, I would be able to read her like an open book. That’s when I knew she was hiding something important.

But I got my answer when I was being shaken awake by a certain Edward Cullen.

“She’s gone!”

Makani’s POV

I miss him. I really do. Playing with Darin and Red was never the same when all I could think about was him. Paul, I found was his name.

Paul… It was the first word I have ever spoken. The feeling of his name on my tongue sent shivers down my spine.

That feeling made me realize that I needed him.

And I needed to find him.

I had to think about escape. I had a protective alpha, vampires who didn’t sleep, and a hybrid who thinks I’m her best friend. Simple right? Actually, I found that it was.

I said I was going hunting and took Red with me. Then I told him I was leaving and that he had to go back without me. He reluctantly agreed and promised not to tell Darin of my whereabouts. And off I went with a smile on my face.

~~~

Tracking him down is hard. I have no idea how to start! He was gone for three whole months and I was not a solitary animal. Living in a pack your whole life made you like that. I felt completely lost and cold.

But my heart was moving my feet. It felt a pull and I trusted it. The pull never weakened.

Days and weeks and months past and it got colder. Then finally a blanket of snow covered the ground. I decided that it was time to make warmth, and I did using a deer’s hide.

Trudging through snow was never fun. When I was with the pack we would always cuddle for warmth and protect the ill. And that wasn’t fun. But it was still something that made us a pack, and I didn’t mind.

Now that I’m alone, I see how much I loved that.

I see visions of the cubs playing in the snow, growing older each day. I see the elders telling stories and watching the cubs eyes shine with amazement. I see the pack and I fighting off an irritated bear at the mouth of a cave. I see us mourning for the loss of a sister that same day.

Everything was done together. A pack. A family.

Suddenly an overwhelming feeling of weightlessness filled my chest. It felt like it was soaring.

I pulled the deer’s hide closer to my body. I see a form up ahead. I walked closer to the sleeping beast. I saw that his coat was silver and was covered randomly in little splotches of snow. I found him.

I dropped to the ground in a burst of happiness. I felt whole again! I crawled over to his sleeping form and cuddled into him. I sighed contently.

I found my Paul.
♠ ♠ ♠
i know it's short. And it was a long wait...
I think i finally know where this story is going though...

thanks to everyone who actually commented!

i would love more :) and constructive critisism is welcome :)