A Wolf's Heart

9

Makani’s POV

The fire that went through my body was at an immense, tortuous temperature. But oddly, I wasn’t on my knees begging someone to put out the fire. No, I’m not masochistic. But the emotional pain was enough to overpower the physical pain. And the fire just fueled my anger.

The visions clouded my sight once more and the fire rocketed throughout my body, even hotter then before. This time, I heard cracks and snaps of bone breaking. My own bones were making that noise.

Even if I didn’t understand fully what was happening in front of me, I knew enough.

The couple in front of me stared in wide-eyed terror, when just before, they were a tangle of sweaty arms and legs. Just before, they moved at a steady pace as one. Just before, they were in a world of intense pleasure. Just before, My Paul was making love to another human, in the middle of the forest.

I felt little pin pricks on every inch of my skin. My body was morphing right in front of the couples eyes. Growls erupted from my chest, my clothes tore right off my body, and fur grew from my skin. Once the transformation stopped, I was up and ready to attack the girl.

When I was about to pounce, Paul swung the naked girls form in back of him. And he stood in front of her protectively.

My emotions were out of control.

Anger, jealousy, grief, sadness, and loss.

He stood in front of her to protect her from me. He wasn’t mine. No, he was hers. I lost him to her.

I took a couple staggering steps back, shaking my now large head. I watched my tears flow down my fur and off my muzzle, before finally hitting the ground. I watched my sadness reflect in his own eyes.

Then I took off. Through the bushes, I kept running.

Finally, as the sun was almost set, I stopped at a stream to relax. Looking at my reflection in the stream, I confirmed what I already knew was true. I was a wolf. Just like Darin.

But my fur was pure white. Above the water I stood at a height that I knew was slightly larger then Darin’s. My paws sunk into the soft mud ground under my weight. I was amazed at the power I felt. My senses multiplied and I saw with clear clarity the vastness of the forest.

Though the power was obvious, one look in my eyes could tell you how weak I really am. Sadness coated my usually bright brown eyes and made them into dull, milky, brown orbs.

There was a rustle behind me. I turned and fortunately it was only Red. I forgot we went hunting together before that happened. Red stepped forward and rubbed his small body against my new large one. How did he know it’s still me? Well, I’m glad he did.

He nudged me and said he wanted to go back. I was a little scared. How would Darin react? I said I wanted to wait a little. He agreed.

When he snuggled into my side I realized something. I lost everything. I lost Paul, who I now realized was basically my world. I lost my family, which seemed like a simple pinprick next to Paul. I only had Red and Darin. If, of course, Darin accepts me like this.

Thinking about Paul brought tears to my eyes again. But now there was no anger toward the girl, so sadness and sorrow was able to take over my entire being. These human feelings allowed me to change back.

I felt a lump form in my throat and it came out in heart wrenching sobs. Tears blurred my vision and flowed down my cheek. Red tried to comfort me. He licked off my tears and snuggled me real close. I pulled him tighter and rocked back and forth on my knees.

He allowed me to basically squeeze the life out of him. I heard him whimpering as he cried with me.

At least I have Red. That brought a smile to my face. I let him go a little and put our noses together. I gave a little laugh and licked him. He did the same.

I stood up and jumped into the stream to clean off a bit.

Red and I walked towards the house with a little bounce in our step.
♠ ♠ ♠
Who expected that to happen?! I DID!!!! :D

I'm sad that i didn't get much feedback :(
but i decided to try and update again so sorry if it's crappy.

Thanks to the one person who commented on that last chapter!