Three Ways to Disappoint your Parents

1.

1. Tell them what you want to do.

When I was in year four, I told my parents that I wanted to draw. I wanted to be and artist! TO begin with, my parents were proud of my decision, but when it began to sink on the thought otherwise.

For my eleventh birthday, they bought me some canvas' and paints, a sketchbook; you name it! I'd never painted before so i thought I'd give it a try... two or three paintings in and I couldn't do it! I now have a pile of unused canvas' under my bed collecting dust. Today, I have seven sketchbooks full of drawings. for my fourteenth birthday they got me a book called "Drawing From the Right Side of the Brain" and it taught me so much! Except that your parents don't like it when there are paint stains on your carpet and you haven't been doing your homework because you've been drawing.

Two years ago, I decided that U want to go into animation... my parents have supported me, but aren't too keen on this idea. For my Birthday last year they bought me a MacBook Pro; they regret it now i can tell, I'm on it 24/7 and they can't stand it! It's not my fault I'm good at computers and I'm creative.

2. Tell your parents you want to learn the bass.

When I was in grade four I decided that it would be a great instrument to learn; my parents on the other hand did not. They decided that piano was the instrument for me because my sister was learning it.

However, I didn't start piano until I was in grade six because I was too shy and scared to start and tell them that I couldn't read music. Piano was great, I loved it; last year I even completed two practical grades and two theory grades... but I also spent all my birthday and christmas money on a bass guitar.

My parents didn't like this idea and would not get me lessons, so i bought a book and taught myself. I was a quick learner and impressed my parents, until I told them that I needed a new guitar because the one i had was cheap and I needed a fifth string. Surprisingly I got a new one for christmas.

3. Not feeling like you can trust them.

This all started in year one. My class and I saw a blimp in the sky and thought it would be a great idea to run outside and chase it. This behaviour managed to get our names in the "behaviour book" which was a very scary thing for a seven year old.

For three months I didn't tell my parents because I felt that they would yell at me and I would get into even more trouble.

One night at dinner, i broke down into tears and my parents didn't understand why. My mother wasn't upset at all... okay, so that's a lie; she was. My mother was upset that I didn't feel like I could tell her these things. Other things happened, but not as big as this, and time and time again I disappointed them.

***

I suppose there are two sides to each of these stories, one positive; that i didn't disappoint and the truth is, when you say things to your parents and you don't live up to their expectations you feel this emptiness inside you that won't go away. To me, that is disappointment almost beyond measure. Even if they understand that you aren't like your other siblings.