Snow Cloud Skies

Steam Engine Trails

I’m shivering, a frightened animal, trapped with its back against the wall. Everything is cold, so cold. I shut my eyes tighter, wishing. I want to be back in my hot air balloon, flying away from this all; I want to watch my spinning rainbows. I don’t want to be here, in the unpredictable outside. I can feel my chest tighten, my breaths are fogging and pulsing, leaving steam engine trails.

You pull me back, tracing patterns on my spine. I’m crying crystal shards onto you. My hands are tangled in the fabric of your clothes; my face is buried against the skin of your neck. “Breath,” you say, warm breath ghosting over my skin. You’re a personal safety blanket, keeping me warm, keeping me here. I grasp you tighter, shaking and shivering, I’m begging: Can’t we just go back? Back to my land of circling suns and singing rainbows? Can’t we just stay safe and warm together? Be safe where the cold and the monsters can’t reach us?

But, I do as you say; your scent spinning in my mind. You’re a veil over my eyes, hiding the horrors in this world. With soft hands, and an unforgiving grip, you hold my arms, turning me away from you. I clench, and cry, but you persist; a strong and silent wall.

It’s an eternity before my heart is calm; my knees are weak, my stomach purged. You hold me, tilting my eyes to the heavens. And from snow cloud skies, falls a downy tear.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, are you loving it?