Status: One of Two, Completed

The Night Shift

At the club

William sniffed and nodded. "I can't I....I have to go," he said uncomfortably. Gabe looked at him curiously and Will ignored him, dressing quickly and striding quickly to the door. "Whoa whoa, guapas, where are you going? What's the hurry?"
William didn't turn back, just throwing over his shoulder a brief. "I can't. I have to go." Gabe's silence was more than Will could take, so he offered him a quick, "I'll see you at work, yeah?" before grasping the cold, damp door knob and twisting it.
Back outside the club, he leaned against a wall, to catch his shaky breathes. Idiot, idiot, idiot....you just fucked Gabe... you idiot. Even worse you let Gabe fuck you...idiot, idiot, idiot.
Will bumped the back of his head off the wet wall with every word that pounded through his head.

"Idiot, idiot, idio-" He cursed himself.
"Will?" Bert appeared out of nowhere, cigarette in hand, from the shadows near the back of the club. "What's wrong?"
William looked him up and down disdainfully. "And what were you doing?"
Bert blew out a ring of smoke into Will's vague direction and answered. "I think you mean 'who'."

Will winced from Bert's crassness and waved the smoke away from his face. "Didn't need to know that," he said as he watched a male figure emerge from the shadows where Bert had been and walk away, limping proudly.
"And I'm fine. Nothing wrong." Will added, crossing his legs and arms, leaning against the wall and feeling the damp sweat soak into his shirt.
"Ok, then you wan-"

"I FUCKED GABE."

Bert's mouth opened, his jaw dropping in slow motion. "GABE?! YOU FUCKED GABE?! ...Wait, who's Gabe?"
Will exhaled through his nose irritably. "The orderly I work with?"
Bert trapped his cigarette between his lips and said; "Oh, him! Good for you! ...Finally."
Will kicked off the wall, scowling down at Bert with his best "There-Will-Be-Death-Preferably-Yours" glower. Bert looked bored, and blew smoke into his face, long since immune to the glares of his roommate. "What do you mean, 'finally'?"
Bert looked him up and down, happy to have to the superiority now. "You wanted him for ages, Gee and I actually had a bet going."
Will sniffed at him haughtily and Bert rolled his eyes. Then his pants started to sing a Hannah Montana song. "You're vibrating." Will pointed out, and Bert sniggered at him before fishing his phone from his jeans pocket. "'lo? G-gee? I...I can't hear you....Go in the....INTO THE BATHROOM GERARD I CAN'T HEAR YOU...No, they're done now, I'm talking to Will....His name was Gabe..." Bert flicked his eyes up to Will's and announced; "Gee says everyone in the club heard you two fucking when the DJ box cut out on power." He returned to the cell while Will blinked in horror. Bert added. "He says he's proud of you." Bert went back to listening to his cell. "Yeah...no....hold on," He quickly gripped Will low neckline and dragged it down, examining his neck and collarbones. He said into the phone; "About three. No...Yeah...Hold on," Bert looked back at a shocked Will and said; "Gabe is looking for you. He asked Frank if he saw, and I quote 'a really tall, skinny, gorgeous white guy, with longish brown hair and huge chocolaty eyes.'"
Curiosity overcame him and Will asked. "What did Frank say?"

Bert shrugged and relayed the question to Gerard. After a minute, he replied; "He asked if it was William and Gabe said yeah, so Frank said he hadn't seen or heard anything since he heard Gabe screaming your name in the bathroom." A tiny, tinny voice echoed from the phone and Bert repeated after it; "He said Gabe went really red and blinked at him and went awa-Oh, hey Frank. Yeah...Three, at least. Frank says Gabe went home."
Will nodded stiffly and screwed his eyes up in embarrassment. Idiot, idiot, idiot...

He spat on the ground and Bert looked at him in shock. Not caring to explain, he just said briskly, "I'm going home," and finished mentally to get even more drunk and pass out in the bathtub. Then he couldn't bear that idea and quickly changed it; alright, I'll pass out on the couch. His right eye twitched and he thought, oh, fine, I'll just get really drunk and go to bed.
No matter what the emergency was, nothing warranted getting so drunk you passed out in a bathtub, in Will's superior opinion. That kind of thing should just be left to the guys like Bert.

The next morning found Will huddled behind the counter he was supposed to be working at and gently massaging his temples. Unfortunately, all the alcohol in Will's flat had decided it would be much comfier in Will's stomach. And really, who was he to refuse such a siren call? Through his fingers he saw green scrubs run past his work area and then run back. A hand plopped a cup of cool water and a smaller cup of pills on the counter. He looked up gratefully at his saviour. Gabe. The grimace that overtook his face was supposed to be a grateful smile, really, but he just couldn't be arsed trying again. The small centipedes tap dancing on the inside of his skull agreed. He opened his dry mouth to thank Gabe and ended up with an eloquent; "Nuuuergh..." He swallowed the cotton in his mouth and gracelessly downed his water, popping the painkillers in too. Gabe was nodding encouragingly at him. "Nuuuergh indeed."

"Uggghhhhh...Er, I mean, don't mock me." Will said, looking at the cool marble countertop. It looked so cold and inviting. He pressed his forehead against it.
Gabe half smiled at him. "Um, " he whispered, clearly trying not to hurt Will's head further. "Do you ...need anything?" Will looked up at him in surprise. No one offered to get Will stuff. They all knew he was too proud to take anyone's help. It was well-known throughout the hospital that William Beckett was a Good Apple. That meant he came into work on time, he did his rounds, he wrote up his paperwork, he never skipped or swapped shifts, he didn't get drunk on work nights, he didn't need anyone's help, and he certainly didn't fuck co-workers. Will winced into the counter. Gabe was slowly making Will a rule-breaker. Will propped his aching head up on the corner with his elbow on the surface. Slowly Gabe Saporta is turning me into Bad News. Oh, god, Will thought, and lay his head back down again, the human equivalent of burying his head in the sand. I'm gonna end up like Bert and Gerard... Will thought, not unkindly. Rule-breakers who flouted the law and did whatever they wanted, in and out of work and general Bad Apples. Will moaned into the marble sadly.

An hand gently touched his back. "Uh, Bilvy? Do you want....do you want me to go?" Gabe asked.
Will didn't think. He just nodded briskly and Gabe went. A small piece of paper fluttered down to the countertop. When Gabe had gone, he read it.

Will, bebé.
I know you're upset about what happened with us last night, but I don't know why.
Movimiento dentro de ti era incluso mejor de lo que pensé que podría ser...

The Spanish words sent a little thrill through Will's stomach and he glanced around defensively, in case anyone could see.
... I want to do this properly, call me, ángel por favor.
G.

Will hunched protectively over his note and gently folded it into his pocket.
By the end of the day his note was placed carefully into the silver box he kept on his nightstand, and it was weakened at the folds and the ink was fading from having a fingertip run gently over the words.

The next day wasn't his shift, so William stayed at home, slept much later than usual and had Mars bar pancakes for breakfast. All in all, it was a very unusual day for Will. He accidently walked in on Bert and Gerard making out and he didn't even run to wash out his eyes, merely rolled them and walked (quickly) back out of the room (before they could see his crotch, which was taking an unfortunate interest in the proceedings).
He even had the good grace to help (i.e. watch) Bert cook dinner and instead of chastising him the whole time for doing it wrong, Will just smiled at him and went to set the table.

Halfway through the Fettucine Alfredo , Gerard piped up; "So, when are you seeing Gabe again?"
His good mood swimming away, Will said testily. "At work tomorrow."
Gerard brandished his fork at him. "You know that's not what I meant."
Will stabbed at a piece of pasta and Bert frowned. "Hey, I slaved over a hot stove for you bastards, the least you could to is not kill my food."
"It's not alive." Gerard pointed out, and gave it a quick poke with an anxious; "Is it?"

Grateful for the diversion, Will eased out of his seat and tiptoed away. He got about two steps before Gerard called after him, waving his fork again. "You think we're finished with you young man? Get back here."

"Stop fucking acting like my father." Will snapped, irritated at being caught and sat back in his seat.
Bert clapped his hands, in what can only be described as glee. "I like this guy already. He's gotten you to loosen up!"
"I am plenty loose!" Will defended himself, haughtily ignoring Gerard's snigger and Bert's; "Why, is he coming over?"

"I'm not even dating him." Will sniffed.
"Then he's good for you." Gerard predicted.
Will both shook his head and raised an eyebrow. Gerard elaborated; "You, in all my knowledge of you, have never just fucked a guy you're not dating. This Gabe dude...he's made you have fun. You're more relaxed, and that's good for you. So, I've decided we like him. You may fuck him again."

Will interjected. "You're not my pimps! You can't tell me who to fuck!"
Bert got up from the table and handed his plate to Gerard so he could do the dishes, and said; "We may not be your pimps Bilvy, but we are your friends. Date him. He'll be good for you. And if not, I'll break him."

"Thanks."

"Anytime."

In work the next day, Will was rushed off his feet. There had been a bad accident in the near town and the city hospital was overflowing. A double decker bus had turned over and crashed through the rail, skidding straight into traffic. Will didn't know what to do, he was running everywhere, picking up intubation supplies and grabbing gauze. He was sweating and itching to do something more useful. He couldn't help anyone, all he could do was stand there and hand doctors whatever they needed even though he was burning to say no, no, you need to intubate now, now, now.

He was exhausted, hours later and the ambulances had finally stopped piling up outside the doors. The patients were in surgery or waiting, if they could for treatment. They had had to bring some patients to another hospital outside of the city. Will was ashamed to find his relief at the thought of heading home after a double shift. He couldn't take these stupid doctors with more ego than sense and he needed to rest so badly, he was sick of it. Sick of death and all-knowing roommates and Spanish boys who made you a Bad Apple without knowing it and sick of his job.

He was almost out the doors of the hospital when it got too much. He ran into a closet full of old cardiac and medical equipment and sat down and sobbed.
He cried for the torn up teddy bear that little girl's parents wouldn't be able to save, and the little boy the doctors couldn't save and himself because he didn't want to be saved.

He cried, into his circle of arms and lap and wet the knees of his jeans with his tears as the door opened and an orderly with bright blue scrubs ran in. He didn't see Will until he had wheeled away an Anaesthesia machine. He turned back to close the door and his eyes fell on the small crumpled nurse in the corner. "Will?"
"...Will?" Gabe walked forward, gingerly stepping in front of William, He looked up wearily.

"Shit." Gabe bit his lip, and stood back up, motioning at Will. "I have to bring this to 203, I'll be back, stay there, I'll be back in a minute, I promise." He disappeared with the machine, hurrying.
In a few minutes, true to his word, Gabe was back. He clicked the door shut behind him and sat beside Will, close enough that their knees touched. "You're sitting really close to me." Will pointed out, drying his eyes. "I've had my dick inside you, I don't think you need to worry about our knees touching," Gabe bickered. Gabe shifted behind him and pulled Will onto his lap. Will didn't protest, far too tired to argue that Good Apples didn't get so close to their colleagues. Gabe didn't say anything and it was ok, because nothing needed to be said. Will was rational enough to understand that no amount of crying would bring back the people who had died today and tonight. After a few minutes he realized Gabe was still holding him and gently rubbing his back. "I've stopped crying, you don't have to do that," Will whispered, embarrassed. Gabe ignored him and kept stroking, after a while Will gave up trying to fight and just lay back against his chest. Gabe replaced his hands on Will's arms, still stroking soothingly, even though Will didn't need to be soothed.

Will realized it was remarkably warm in Gabe lap, and comfortable. "You're better than a chair," Will informed him. "You're snuggling me," Gabe countered.
"What?!"
"Oh, I thought we were trying to embarrass each other," Gabe said, nibbling on the side of Will's neck.

"I got your note yesterday," Will remembered. "You did?" Gabe asked in surprise. "You never said, I thought you wanted to forget about it."
Will's brows furrowed. "Then why did you come in here?" He asked, gesturing lazily to the closet they occupied with no others but machines. He felt Gabe shrug against his back. "'Cause you needed someone to snuggle."

"That's it, I do not 'snuggle', for the love of God..."

Will's body shivered with the laughter that came from Gabe's chest. "Sure you don't, bello."
Will harrumphed, and sniffed. "Like I was saying, I got your note. It was very..." Will thought quickly. It was kind of sweet, he supposed but the Spanish had been more drool-worthy than anything. Maybe it was both. "...Sweet and s-sexy. I think I'd...um..."

"You wanna go out with me." Gabe nodded into his back. Will twitched in minor irritation. "I never said that!"
"No, but you were thinking it."
"Whatever. Idiot." Will sighed and Gabe smiled against the warm skin of his shoulders. He could feel his breath through the thin cotton of his shirt.

Will thought, in the warm, comfortable dark closet, with his back pressed tight against Gabe's chest and his hands being stroked and played with by calloused, dark fingers.

Maybe breaking the rules wasn't so bad.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like comments. (hinthint) ^.^