Status: If you haven't already please read the authors note in Chapter 46, just want to clarify things with you guys :)

I Don't Even Know His Name...

Chapter 4: Wishing for Something Missing

It’s around 1:45 in the morning to be exact; I’ve been sat here counting each second for awhile now. Exhaling I gave up at around 427 clicks of that infuriatingly slow clock. Don’t judge me, it’s the only thing to preoccupy my mind seeing as my phone is practically out of battery. But there is nothing else to do here but worry, or fear the worst. Both options are persistent in my brain. Though my eyes feel heavy, sleep is not an option right now. Just to add to the dark mood in this place the sound of rain pelting against the window panes filled the air.

It was slightly soothing for awhile just to forget that this is happening, that maybe this isn’t real. At least not for a few precious moments. It reminded me of vague memories of me and Alex. One time we were so hung up about seeing this new film out in the movies we ditched school. It was probably wasn’t one of the best ideas we came up with. Not only were we caught trying to sneak into an R rated movie are parents found out. And to top it all off we had to walk in the pouring rain back home as punishment. The theatre is 10 blocks from our houses. So it was simple to say we were both screwed. Though I felt pretty shit the day after I couldn’t help but feel closer to Alex afterwards. Plus it was one of the funniest experiences I’ve had. The ironic thing is that I can’t even remember the name of the movie that we were hyped about.

A rumble of thunder forced my reminiscing to end as the fear crept all too familiarly into my head. Is he okay? Looking up my eyes landed on some familiar figures in front of me. They both looked startled their eyes fixated on my shirt. Furrowing my eyebrows and glancing at my shirt I found out why. My once white t-shirt is now stained in dark scarlet. So that’s why the receptionist checked me out. Great now she probably thinks I’m some kind of twisted serial killer who gets a kick out of staring at hospital patients. Wow fuck my life.

“Don’t ask, please” my hands tightly intertwined as my body tensed. Mr and Mrs Gaskarth glanced at one another and sighed softly

“It’s okay Jack, we know what happened” Silently I thanked that paramedic from earlier, he saved me from an incredibly difficult rendition of earlier events. Almost on cue Zack and Rian arrived through the hospital doors. They looked pretty drenched but I received the same fearful stares from them both as they approached me. I guess it’s time to tell them, no matter how hard it was going to be. Rian cautiously approached me, my gaze falling to the floor whilst my lips trembled. The overwhelming urge to just break down was hard to ignore.

“D-dude what happened?” His voice was shaky Zack by the side of him knelt down beside me. Those stupid tears fell down my cheeks.

“Some bastard tried to rob us, we d-didn’t have anything on us, s-so he shot A-Alex” the words fell from my mouth and my body fell into Rians hands. Finally feeling some comfort in the fact that I wasn’t alone. Also Rian wasn’t the type of guy to complain about someone crying all over him which helped a lot.

“T-this is a-all my f-f-fault, this is a-all m-my f-fault” Zack held my shoulder tightly his voice stern but reassuring

“Jack don’t ever think that this was your doing, none of this was” the eyes of all the patients waiting here were burning into my body, but come on if they just went through the same predicament I’m sure they would have the exact same reaction. Being absorbed with the company of my friends Alex’s parents sat beside us in the waiting room. Occasionally they would go up to the secretary nervously asking for any news and would always return none the wiser. Whereas my eyelids kept drooping, soon I gave in falling almost immediately into deep sleep. Zack let me borrow his jacket as a make shift blanket whilst my body led awkwardly over two chairs. It seemed to work as time passed through empty dreams.

Yet it was short lived as a sharp elbow prodded me in the ribs. Rubbing my eyes my vision cleared, my back hurt from the seats but I put this aside as I spotted a nurse walking in our direction.

“Excuse me, are you here for Mr. Alex Gaskarth?” A general mumblings in agreement was our response as it was now at least 2:20, we had no energy whatsoever.

“I am pleased to say he is currently in a stable condition. We have operated on his wound and he is showing pleasing signs of progress” my heart skipped he was okay he wasn’t going down without a fight.

“However after coming round we have discovered he had a secondary wound to the head. Most likely from when he fell. We have treated it but we are afraid that he is suffering from retrograde amnesia” My throat became dry.

“Wait, what the hell is retrograde amnesia?” my voice was quiet whilst my brain was clouded with questions. She shifted uncomfortably in front of us her eyes darting to each of our fearful gazes.

“If it gives you any indication of how serious this is he couldn’t even recall his name after recovering from the operation. I am so sorry”
♠ ♠ ♠
A definition of retrograde amnesia is basically that the person cannot recall some or all of their life or identity prior to trauma to the head
So this why I named the story the way I did
And why my sumary of this story was so vague as I didn't want to give too much away
My update is kinda late seeing as I have exams next week so wish me luck :P
Shout out to my commenters Fangs Up and Jalex Barakarth and my 37 readers out there you guys are amazing!

Would make my week if I get some more subscribers
Really enjoyed writing this one especially the part with the secretary :L Poor Jack
Also on a random sidenote I'm really loving this song called Dance or Die by Family Force 5. Just thought I would inform you :P Anyone else into it? xXx