Status: Updates in between Saturday and Sunday GMT time

School Will Never Be the Same

Chapter 4

“Ok class today I'm setting you guys an assignment,” Mr. Way smiled clapping his hands together. Some of the more up tight students groaned when he said this. Which made him frown a little. “Hey, hey, it’s a good assignment. You’re going to need a fresh double page spread.” I flipped my page over, my doodling had started to take over the page. “I am going to hand out a page with some art on, I want you to choose one of them and do your own interpretation and as they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so opposite I want you to fill the page with as many words relating to the picture as possible.” As I listened to Mr. Way I actually paid attention and became excited at this assignment. I have decided I'm going to make this one count. I'm going get my best grade for art this time. Well best with Mr way teaching.

I took the paper and the one I liked the best. I began work as soon as I knew what I was drawing. I blocked out everything around me, especially Mr. Way. I have to ace this if I want to prove I can get through this A level and get into university.

“How’s it coming along Natalie?” Mr. Way asked from behind my shoulder. He made me jump a little, I wasn’t paying attention to him, which is unusual. I nodded and smiled. I could feel his breath on my hair and his hand rested just by my shoulder. He was almost touching me. “Well that’s good to know, this looks like it could be your best work for me yet.” He walked away and it took a lot of my restraint from watching him go.

I was working today, Saturday, I like working weekend, more tips, more hours, more money. I dressed in the compulsory uniform of white blouse and black skirt. I pulled on some flats and my hair into a pony tail before leaving in my car for work. I had also done my make up neutral, again it’s the policy of the restaurant.

“Hey Natalie, get your apron on, it’s already busy out there today,” lunch had just begun so I didn’t expect things to be any other way, Kevin turned around to keep on cleaning glasses. Kevin is the one guy friend a girl needs, a gay friend. You can check guys out with them, you can cry on the shoulder and they can cry on yours and you can bitch about your ex’s with them. Every girl needs one and I love mine. “And there’s a cutie on one of your tables, he’s definitely straight. Get in there girl.” I smiled, tied my apron around my waist and pulled out my notepad. I walked over to my table and guess this was the one Kevin was talking about. I couldn’t see the guy, I hadn’t put my contacts or glasses on. But his blurry outline was hot. As I walked closer I popped my glasses from my pocket.

I stopped, a waiter stumbled around my narrowly avoiding losing the plates on his tray and my mouth stood wide open. Mr. Way was at my table. Alone. He was looking around at the other eaters. I thought he was joking, just being nice. I didn’t think he’d show. I squashed all hopes though. He wasn’t here for me. He was here for food.

“Hello, my names Natalie, and I'll be your server for today can I get you a drink.” I didn’t look at him. I couldn’t bring myself to see him clearly for the second time.

“Natalie?” I heard him ask. Ok time to act surprised. He did. So he was here for food. I knew he was. Why did I even let the idea of the possibility of him wanting to see me even slip into my head?

“Mr. Way?” He bought my surprised act and smiled.

“Natalie call me Gerard outside of school.” He smiled. He looked down at the drinks menu and while he did I looked at Kevin. He was giving me a thumbs up while I gave him the slit throat. “Natalie.” I whipped back round with a smile. “I would like a diet coke and burger and chips.” I wrote it down fast and left with a smile.

When I got back to the bar and collapsed in defeat.

“Natalie, he’s cute, just your type maybe a touch older. Go for it.” I shook my head with my face in my hands. “What’s up, honey?” He asked patting my shoulder. I looked up resting my chin on my arms.

“He’s my art teacher Kev. That guy teaches me. I told him where I worked this week and then he ends up here on my shift. But he didn’t know I was going to be here. And every time with this guy I build myself up. I have to stop.” Kevin smiled sympathetically and gave me his drink order.

“You got the rest of your shift to get to. Happy faces. And remember the rest of your tables also need serving.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this while watching he's just not that into you and I don't know why it urged me to write this chapter.