Status: Updates in between Saturday and Sunday GMT time

School Will Never Be the Same

Chapter 5

“Here, is your drink and your meal is being cooked as we speak.” I smiled walking away. I was tempted to look back, see what he was doing now but I convinced myself not to or it may destroy me. I moved onto serving my tables. I went to pick up Gerard’s meal from the kitchen. His name is perfect for him. It’s kind of old fashioned yet unique. Which is a bit like him.

“Ok, he checked you out girlfriend,” I ignored Kevin with some plates on my tray. “Where are you going? You need to talk to the teacher who has a crush on you.” Kevin called as I walked out the kitchen. He thinks everyone is checking out everyone. “Look I know you think I'm making this up,” I nodded and was about to talk while he followed me to the bar to pick up a drink order. “But this time, he watched you leave and I don’t mean in a teacher way.” Since Kevin couldn’t follow me to tables, I stuck with the customers for most of my shift. Well I didn’t go over to Gerard or Mr. Way or whatever that much. I'm still not that sure of why he’s even here.

I began to wonder over to one of my other tables, check on things and what not. “Natalie!” I heard someone call. I turned around to see Mr. Way flagging me down. I took a subtle deep breath and walked to his table, with the compulsory smile on my face. Customer service is a big deal, so us waitresses have to appear happy. We’re like poshly dressed Barbie dolls serving food and drinks to customer, hoping for a nice large tip.

“Is there a problem, Gerard?” I asked. He hadn’t finished his food yet, so this call could be for anything. Gerard smiled and put down his knife and fork.

“Um, yeah, could I have some ketchup and do you think you could meet me outside the entrance at the end of your shift?” He lowered his voice. I gulped not sure what was going on now. No teacher asks you something like that in a lowered voice. I nodded and walked away in a hurry. Kev saw the panic on my face and gave me a wink. He did not reassure me.

By the end of my shift I wanted to shit a brick. Mr. Way, or Gerard or whatever shouldn’t need to speak to me on a Saturday, he teaches me in two days time, what can’t wait for two days? I pulled and did up my trench coat and got my bag. It was coming up to around 6, I do lunch and then leave just before the dinner rush. I half hoped he wouldn’t be there and I half hoped he would. I’ve never felt more torn about one person in my life.

“Natalie?” He was leaning against the wall by the entrance, finishing off a cigarette. Personally I don’t smoke, but I don’t kick up a fuss when others smoke around me. I walked over stopping when I could smell the smoke. It’s December so it was starting to get dark, I kept my glasses on so I could see Gerard. “I didn’t know you wear glasses,” he smiled stubbing his cigarette with his shoe.

“Yeah, I began wearing contacts to school half way through year 9, I was teased quite a bit when I was younger.” I shrugged. It also tends to make my life easier, I don’t have to constantly take off and put on glasses. But I reserve contacts for school only. Gerard frown and stepped away from the wall.

“I just wanted to talk to you real quick about a couple of things.” He said, he nodded towards the picnic bench nearby. I struggled to swing my leg over since I was wearing a skirt. “First of all the last piece you did in my class.” He pulled out my sketch book from his bag, “is the best yet, an A in fact. Keep up that and you’ll get into any university you want.” I smiled and flipped the page where I last did my work. I did wonder why he carried my sketch book with him though. “And if you do want to apply to uni then there’s a couple of thing’s I may be able to help you with, but we’ll talk about that when you know if you want to go. And lastly I just wanted to make sure you don’t have the wrong impression about me.” He looked down at his hands which were placed together in his lap.

“What do you mean?” I asked. I'm not sure what impression I have about him right now, so I don’t know if I can have the wrong impression about him right now.

“Why I came here today, that I'm not stalking you or anything,” he said, still no eye contact. “So do you need a ride home?”

“No, I drive my cars just over there.” I nodded to my car and began to get over this darn bench. He walked me to my car and next came the goodbye.

This goodbye was one of the most awkward ones I have ever had. Neither of us knew whether we should shake hands or just leave it. I got in smiled and closed my door. Gerard knelt down and waved, leaving for his car. I sat back into my seat and let out a long breath. Why does he have to be the guy who can have some kind of weird effect over me? Why can’t it be someone my age, in my year? Someone I have a small chance with.
♠ ♠ ♠
Year 14- is the year which you stay on after year 13 if you haven't finished a two year course in year 12 and 13 because you did retakes in year 12. Hope thats cleared things up. There won't be year 14 in this so don't worry too much. Sorry its sort.