Status: Have A Good Portion Written Already

Valiant Crimes

Chapter 15

If this were a Hollywood movie the man would have run after the woman and both characters would have made up but no such thing happened. Rita opened her front door to see Ross near tears holding the chocolate cake. Never had Rita seen Ross cry but when it happened it broke her heart to see it happen. The night was filled with Rita letting Ross cry on her shoulder. Ross was hurt terribly; Aldo practically ripped out her heart and stomped on it. She had waited for him for so long even if she thought he was dead; if that wasn’t devotion what the hell wasn’t?

Ross hadn’t slept with Dominic or any man for the matter; intimacy had been ruined by the Nazis and she hadn’t the mental strength to endure what it took to even try. It didn’t help that her back was scoured with scars making her feeling self conscious and ashamed. Then there was what her first husband had done to her that made things ten times worse and Ross felt she was doomed for a life alone. How does one even get married again after your first husband killed your own father and used you to gain power? In Ross’s mind you don’t even bother trying.

Having fallen asleep at Rita’s Ross thanked Rita for her company and headed back to the house the next morning. Of course being a man of his word, Aldo was nowhere to be seen; all traces of him even being there were gone. Sadly even after his hurtful words Ross’s heart still ached for Aldo and she found herself in the guest bedroom clutching onto the covers only to lie between the sheets that still had his scent lingering on them. New tears sprung to Ross’s eyes and she began sobbing until her own sobs lulled her to sleep.

Two weeks passed and Ross hardly ate or slept. Rita was the only person that made sure Ross ate enough to sustain life and even that was hard. Ross was in her bad place, only thinking about terrible moments like her father’s death, her capture in France, and every other thing gone wrong in her life. All repressed memories flooded her mind and Ross ached all over.

Dominic had called Ross to see how she was but Rita answered telling him to come over because Ross was getting worse now that she couldn’t hold down what little meals she had. Being that Dominic cared deeply for Ross he didn’t hesitate to race over to Ross’s home in his car. Rita met Dominic at the door with his medical bag in tow. That was something else about Dominic, he was a doctor.

“Dr. Hayes I don’ know what to do, Miss Rosaline just ain’t been the same, she hardly eats and when she does it comes back up then if she sleeps she wakes up screaming like someone hurt her,” Rita rants worriedly.
“Where is she?” Dominic questions.
“In her bedroom, sleeping but I don’t know how long that’s gonna last,” she answers sadly. Dominic merely nodded and headed to the back of the house where Ross’s bedroom was. As soon as Dominic saw Ross’s frail frame wearing a strapped night gown his heart dropped to his stomach. Her face even while sleeping looked troubled and bags had developed under her eyes, whilst her usual olive skin looked colorless. It broke Dominic’s heart to see her in such a state and to make matters worse Ross turned on her other side to sleep with her back to him and Dominic immediately saw the scars.

“I haven’t had the nerve to ask her about those, terrible things this girl has gone through, terrible things,” Rita says softly as she stood at the doorway looking at Ross’s sleeping frame. They stood there in silence for a moment before a scream erupted from Ross whom thrashed about in her bed. Dominic was immediately at her side trying to hold her close to his body so she wouldn’t hurt herself but she fought back fiercely upon the strong arms that held her. Ross pushed away from him and moved to the far corner of the bed with her knees to her chest breathing heavily looking at Dominic wide eyed.
“Rosaline what happened to your back?” Dominic found himself questioning. Ross looked away from Dominic and focused her attention on the ground. She no longer could string this wonderful man along with her lies, Ross had to tell the truth.
“I wasn’t a nurse in the war,” Ross says meekly.
“Then what were you,” he inquires.
“An agent for the government,” she replies.
“They wouldn’t put women out in war,” Dominic states not believing her words.
“It was a criminal exchange, I speak German, French and Spanish, so it was only natural they wanted me,” Ross sighs.
“Criminal exchange?” Rita says looking at Ross.
“My real name is Rosaline Thrasher, I was in prison for being the leader of a mob in Philadelphia and some other crimes as well,” she states mumbling that last bit.
“Did they do that to you in prison?” Dominic asks.
“No, I was captured,” Ross mutters.
“By who?” Dominic demands wanting to know who hurt Ross in such a manner.
“Nazis,” she says leaning against the headboard of her bed.
“Oh Ross,” he says placing a hand on top of Ross’s hand causing her to flinch slightly.
“Don’t feel sorry for me, they’re all dead, Aldo and the boys made sure of that,” Ross responds.
“He rescued you, that’s how you two met?” Dominic replies connecting the dots.
“More or less, it doesn’t matter though, its so much easier for you men to come back from the war but me I have to act like I never was there because women aren’t seen as killers, maybe for me its harder because I did some pretty terrible stuff,” she says with feeling.
“You’re not a killer,” he reassures.
“Really Dominic? How can you be so sure? I’ve killed more men than I can remember and I was damn good at it, you may think I’m harmless but I am far from it,” Ross states seriously.
“You’re sick,” Dominic says tenderly.
“I’ll be fine, just my conscience growing back,” she retorts. Dominic looked at Ross, in a different light, all this time she was lying but he couldn’t understand why she’d lie to him.
“Why have you been lying?” he finally questions.
“Because I wanted to a fresh start without the criminal records, press, or war, but I realize now it’ll always be apart of who I am no matter what I do,” Ross replies seeming to realize it just at the very moment that he had asked. She realized she was making herself sick, that she was making herself miserable. After the insistence of Dominic he checked her vitals to be sure she would be okay and he only recommended a bath some whiskey and a good night’s rest causing Ross to let out a soft chuckle. In the strangest of ways he seemed to understand her.
“Dom, thank you for everything,” Ross says sincerely giving him a hug. Dominic savored the hug still having feelings for Ross but he knew she’d never return his feelings.

The next day Johnny arrived with Grace and their baby boy Daniel. Upon seeing the baby had the same golden eyes as herself it seemed to make Ross glow with pride. Nothing made her happier than to see that her nephew had the same eyes as her and her late father. Another week passed with them visiting and when they left Ross was a little saddened only wanting to play the violin for little Danny again. But alas she was alone again. Soon she found herself wanting to socialize and see old friends when she received a call from her good friend Frank Costello. He had called to say he was in the area with a couple of fellas and perhaps he could stop by to see her. Of course Ross agreed having owed her freedom to Frank being that he pulled some serious strings to get her out of prison.

Frank Costello was a New York gangster and now the undisputed Boss of the Luciano crime family; he was into the white collar crimes which meant gambling, loansharking and construction so Frank and I were pretty tight because we didn’t believe we needed to sell drugs to make the money. He and the guys showed up around nine at night with big smiles. Ross engulfed the man in a hug having it been so long since the pair had seen each other.

“Ross it is an absolute joy to see ya,” Frank smiles twirling Ross around in his arms. The pair were good friends and Frank pretty much played the overprotective older brother role to Ross. Frank heard about how Ross had been cooping herself up in this house hardly going into the city unless it was an absolute emergency; he had decided he would treat her to a small vacation to go to the Kentucky Derby, that was happening the upcoming weekend. The group played poker, ate some fresh cherry cobbler Ross had made and drank whiskey.

“It’s been too long Frankie,” Ross says with a bright smile.
“I agree darling, me and the boys were on our way down to Louisville for the big derby, we’ve got plenty of room for one more,” Frank replies.
“The Kentucky Derby?” she asks looking at him a bit wide eyed surprised it was already May.
“Yes its already time for it,” he chuckles knowing what she was thinking.
“Oh hush you,” Ross responds playfully shoving Frank.
“But honestly doll, I want you to go with us, you need to get out in the world, and I promise no funny business,” Frank says putting his right hand up for emphasis.
“Well it has been a long time since I’ve gone to see a good race,” she admits thinking over the proposition.
“I’ve got box tickets, and we can sip on Mint Juleps like there’s no tomorrow,” he adds trying to sweeten the deal more so that Ross could not refuse the offer.
“You make it so hard to say no to you Frankie,” Ross says giving Frank a look that said she had given it.
“We’ll leave tomorrow mornin’ darling,” Frank smiles brightly knowing he had won.

The trip from Pennsylvania to Kentucky was a long one but a fun one nonetheless. Frank wasn’t lying about the box seats at the derby. It was the race of a lifetime and Ross betted on Assault; the winner of the whole Kentucky derby. Frank and the group were ecstatic as Ross was as they all collected their winnings. Having the time of their lives, Frank suggested they go to Florida for some sun and sand. High on life, Ross agreed and they all began driving to their destination.

“Hey, Ross we gotta stop here for the night,” Frank says as the car slowed down in a small town Ross had never been to. It was already getting dark and the driver pulled into a dirt driveway that led to a medium sized home with its lights on.
“That’s alright,” Ross reassures with a tired smile.
“These are some good people, so no worries,” he replies. Once the car had stopped and we got out of the nice car to approach the house. Frank knocked on the door only to have it opened by a sandy haired man with familiar blue eyes that smiled brightly at Frank.
“Charlie Raine, it’s been too long,” Frank greets with a smile. Ross was only half way up the stairs when she heard this and she tripped falling right on her face.
“Damn you alright doll?” George one of Frank’s guys asks helping me onto my feet.
“Just fine Georgie Boy,” Ross responds quickly. She was convincing herself that Raine was indeed a common name.
“Those Mint Juleps finally gettin’ to ya doll?” Frank inquires cheekily.
“I’m tired, you all know I can hold my liquor just fine now quit the teasing,” she says giving Frank a playful glare. They all chuckled and we entered the cozy home.
“Who’s this lovely lady Frank, she your bird?” Charlie asks upon seeing Ross.
“Nah, she’s one of the fellas except smarter and prettier to look at, this here is Ross Thrasher,” Frank chuckles as the guys gave weak protests. Charlie looked at Ross wide eyed; this was the woman his older brother Aldo had been moping about. Seeing her in person Charlie now knew why his brother was so hung up on Ross.
“It’s a pleasure to finally meet you Miss Thrasher,” Charlie says with a smile.
“Finally?” Ross replies a bit incredulous.
“Ross you are a bit famous,” George teases.
“Infamous is the correct term but that’s neither here nor there, it’s nice meeting you Charlie,” she responds quickly.
“Hey Aldo we got guests!” Charlie yells causing Ross’s eyes to grow wide.
“Ross you okay? You’re lookin’ a little pale?” Frank questions sounding concerned.
“Yeah I’m good; I just remembered something,” Ross says a bit frantic.
“Let’s have a chat outside,” Frank suggests placing his hand on the small of Ross’s back as he led her out the door. Frank sensed that Ross was lying and he wanted to know why she’d be lying to him. Well he had a good idea of why she was lying, this was a bit part of his plan. You see Frank knew the Raine family and he knew both Ross and Aldo had a thing going but neither wanted to admit because they were both too proud and insisted on being miserable. Once they were outside Frank gave Ross an expectant look and she merely looked back at him blankly trying to keep her game face on.
“What?” she says throwing her hands up.
“Doll, I’ve known you long enough to know you’re lying, I want you to go to Florida with us and have some fun, you deserve some fun,” Frank says looking at Ross intently.
“Damn it why do ya have to use that look on me?” Ross questions with an exasperated sigh.
“Because I know it works now relax nothing’s gonna happen to ya when you’re with me,” Frank smiles putting his arm around Ross’s shoulder and kissed her forehead.
“Don’t patronize me Francesco you know I could beat you up any day,” she counters teasingly.
“What every man wants, a woman who can beat them up,” he laughs.
“If only that were true,” Ross chuckles lightly. They went back inside to see the guys had moved to the kitchen sitting playing poker at the table. Ross’s heart was beating frantically seeing the back of Aldo’s head. She decided she could act cool around Aldo and be polite just for Frank. Ross didn’t have to acknowledge him if she didn’t want to.
“Ross you still in for the Sunshine state?” Fred questions looking up at me with his dark brown eyes full of hope. He was a big guy with a good sized gut but good humored.
“As long as you keep your shirt on,” Ross replies. The guys let out laughs including Fred.
“Can’t promise nothing; want me to deal ya in?” Fred responds with a cheeky smile.
“Sure that is if you can deal with losing,” she smiles doing her damn best to ignore Aldo’s presence. Ross took a seat between George and Frank. The cards were dealt and the game began. Sometimes unable to resist Ross would fleet her golden eyes to look at Aldo in her peripheral vision; he looked so different yet still the same. She acted like nothing was wrong and shared drinks as wells as stories about the old days when she was boss.
“How you ain’t got a husband, I just don’t know,” Vince one of the younger men of Frank’s crew says looking at Ross. Frank shot him a fierce look knowing Ross’s mishap with marriage in the past. Ross had already tuned out as her eyes glazed over as she took bigger drinks of the whiskey letting the warm alcohol burn as it slid down her throat. She had to go to her good place.
“What? I’d marry her in an instant,” Vince says not being the smartest ones of the group.
“Did you know that in Alaska there are days that the sun never comes out?” Ross says aloud more to herself than to anyone.
“That’s depressing,” Vince comments.
“Kid you don’t know shit about depressing,” she says with a chuckle as she swirled around the amber colored liquor in its glass, “Try getting married to the future murderer of your father, now that shit will fuck with ya for life.”

Ross chugged the rest of her whiskey as the men just gawked at her whilst she poured more whiskey into her glass. Aldo wasn’t expecting to learn that sort of information let alone see Ross tonight. He watched as Frank halted Ross’s pouring of the whiskey whilst George smacked Vince upside the head for mentioning anything.

“Leave the kid alone, not his fault I married a conniving power hungry son of a bitch, that’s all on me,” Ross says keeping her composure.
“Shouldn’t be bringing things like that up anyways,” Frank states glaring at Vince.
“Seems to me you think I’m made out of glass, Frankie, I’m done with this, let’s finish this game,” she replies calmly.

As Ross ordered they finished the game whilst Aldo could not help but gage Ross’s every move. Aldo knew how well Ross could mask her feelings from the world around her, he knew because she’d done it to him when they were in France. By the end of the night Ross was shown a bedroom which unbeknownst to her was Aldo’s. Aldo slept on the couch and Ross hardly slept well; as the familiar smell of Aldo kept up into her nostrils. Her body ached for him but her mind told her that he was an asshole keeping her from searching for him.

Sleep deprived and very cranky Ross got out of bed then dressed in a high waist black pleated skirt with a white strapped summer top then a dark purple cardigan on top to cover the scars. She left her hair down in loose curls and strapped the knife to her thigh it its holster then slipped on her simple white sneakers to complete the look. Ross left the room and saw Aldo sleeping on the couch confirming her suspicions that it was indeed his room.

After a few moments standing there looking at Aldo’s sleeping figure Ross headed into the kitchen for a glass of water. Charlie was awake making a pot of coffee when Ross entered the kitchen.

“Coffee?” Charlie offered to Ross as she sat down rubbing the back of her neck.
“Sure,” Ross replies in her raspy morning voice.
“Ya don’ look like ya slept very well,” he comments.
“Well enough,” she shrugs.
“Here ya go,” Charlie says setting a cup of coffee in front of Ross.
“Thanks Charlie,” Ross responds.

The silence was pretty bad and Ross could stand it for much longer.

“Has he been okay?” Ross found herself asking. Charlie smiled inwardly hearing the trace of concern in Ross’s voice over his brother.
“He’s okay, I know he’s still hung up on ya,” Charlie replies honestly. Ross let out a scoff of disbelief.
“Yeah I’m sure,” she states sarcastically.
“Hey there doll, I see you are all ready to go,” Frank says coming into the kitchen.
“Just about, I’m going to get some fresh air,” Ross counters drinking her coffee as she stood up.
“Alright,” Frank replies with a yawn.

Ross went outside on the porch and stood there taking in the lush green Tennessee scenery that was really quite beautiful. Sipping on the hot coffee Ross noticed the nice black car driving down the dirt driveway. She watched the car stop behind Frank’s car and the familiar looking men stepped out wearing suits. It was Vito Genovese’s crew. Vito had been pissed off because while he was in Italy Frank became the head boss of the Luciano crime family. Ross knew Vito was pretty persistent and ruthless; so were his followers and she knew this wasn’t going to be the friendliest of visits.

“Well, well, well, if it isn’t Ross the Boss Thrasher,” Roman Vito’s right hand man says upon seeing Ross standing on the porch.
“Roman,” Ross responds curtly acknowledging him.
“You’re looking good,” he says licking his lips as he looked her up and down. Ross ignored his wandering eyes and just gave him a bored look.
“Can I help you?” she questions as Roman showed no shame in what he was doing.
“Frank keepin’ ya warm at night now?” Roman asks.
“Is that really any of your business?” Ross counters.
“Just a question, because you know I wouldn’t mind takin’ you out on the town,” he says getting a little too close to Ross for her liking.
“You know what I’d love you to do?” she inquires.
“What’s that?” Roman replies with a smirk.
“Take a hike,” Ross states turning away from him.
“Oh come on baby, just give me a taste of what you gave Owen, he always said you were great in the sack,” he eggs on. Ross’s blood broiled with anger at the mention of her ex-husband’s name and the fact he was speaking to her in such a derogatory way.
“Don’t test me Roman, I’m not in a good mood,” she warns through gritted teeth.
“Or what darling?” Roman counters touching Ross’s arm. This was Ross’s limit and she set down the cup of coffee on the ledge then grabbed Roman’s hand swiftly twisting it back and slammed his face into the railing of the porch. Roman let out a loud groan of displeasure as he cursed at Ross.
“I may not be in the business anymore Roman but I have no qualms putting you in your rightful place, speak to me like I am some common day whore again and I’ll slit your fucking throat,” Ross says in an eerily calm voice that meant business, “Now apologize and I won’t be tempted to break your arm.”
“Fine, I’m sorry,” Roman groans. Ross released Roman and he stood up straightening his clothes glaring at Ross intensely.
“What’s your business here anyways?” she questions looking at him without batting an eye.
“Payin’ Frankie a visit you got a problem with that?” he retorts defiantly.
“Nope, just got a problem with that attitude of yours,” Ross counters picking up her cup of coffee and headed back inside.
“Aren’t you going to invite me in?” Roman snarls.
“No I don’t think they allow dogs in the house,” she says before shutting the screen door behind her.

Most of the people awake heard the conversation that occurred outside some even watched as Ross had slammed Roman’s face into the railing without a second thought. Charlie was among the people and he couldn’t believe such a small woman could be so threatening but all the while he saw what made Aldo be so in love with her; she’d never take his shit. Aldo heard the commotion and he looked at Ross who just entered the house; he wanted to beat the devil out of Roman and was damn near to it when Charlie placed a heavy hand on his shoulder to make him stay behind. Frank was quick to go outside to see what Roman wanted whilst Charlie urged Aldo to go talk to Ross. Aldo glared at his brother whom kept pushing him forward towards the kitchen where Ross was standing with her back to the men.

“You two look like idiots, I can see your reflections in the window fighting behind me,” Ross states without even turning around as she drank the rest of her coffee. Aldo was still pretty bitter about things and he stood up straight staring at the back of Ross’s head.
“Well we all can’t be perfect like Dominic Hayes,” Aldo retorts.
“Of course you’d say something like that, going to call me a whore again Raine?” Ross counters not missing a beat as she turned around glaring at Aldo before heading towards the room to gather her things.
“I didn’ call ya a whore,” he reprehends following close behind her.
“No I believe the statement was ‘ya couldn’ keep your legs closed long enough to wait for me’” she retorts mocking Aldo’s Southern accent in the process.
“Yer the one that went and got a boyfriend,” Aldo accuses.
“I didn’t go and get anything; I thought you were dead, are you not aware of what dead means?” Ross snaps, “I wasn’t aware it was against the law to try to move on with me god forsaken life.”
“It is when ya left me in the dust,” he counters.
“Could you be any more of a selfish bastard?” she says furiously glaring at Aldo with much intensity.
“Yes,” Aldo says as he pulled Ross into a passionate kiss. Both Aldo and Ross were so wound up and angry at one another that when they kissed it was fiery and violent. Ross hand a strong grip on the front of Aldo’s shirt tugging him closer to her and Aldo’s hands roamed from her waist to her hips pulling her closer. The pair were all over the place shoving each other into walls as they assaulted each other’s mouths both demanding dominance. In the midst of it all they both pulled away for air.
“You such an asshole,” Ross says breathlessly.
“In that report for the Commander you said I was a brave man fighting valiant crimes,” Aldo adds with a smirk.
“Yeah well I was taught not to speak ill of the dead,” she says, “You’re still an asshole.”

Ross was unable to hold in the smile that formed on her lips and Aldo smiled back at her then brought her in for another kiss. This time the kiss was less harsh and gentler. Finally all tension and pride had melted away and the pair were in their own world only to break away to look into each other’s eyes that held nothing but love and devotion. Their valiant crimes finally had paid off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello my lovelies this was the finale hopefully it was to your liking, I even sprinkled in some real mobsters and events that happened in that time. It was an absolute joy writing this tale and I know you all enjoyed it as much as I did. Thanks again! :)