If a River Could Talk

1/1

The trees that thrived on our banks swayed slowly with the breeze, dropping their leaves onto Our surface. We watched as they got carried by Our current downstream. It is very peaceful here, not many venture this far into the forest that surrounds Us. Only one family ever comes here.

The soft crunch of pebbles called Our attention to the Family of Four that spent their days sitting on Our banks.

“Veronica! Stay away from the water!” her mother yelled as the toddler ran towards Us. This family had been coming down to Us every week for the last year. We have watched Veronica grow so much.

“But Mummy! Look! Fishies!” she cried pointing deep within Us to the small fish that lived lazily in Our depths. “can I go for a swim!?” she asked excitedly. Her mum looked warily at the tall man behind her, who eventually, after a lot of screaming from Veronica, put down her older brother and went to her side.

As Veronica waddled in Our shallows We worried; a lot of sharp rocks lay in the way of the young girl. We made slight currents and rolled dangers out of her path. We would never let her come to harm. Not her. Not our sweet little Veronica.

--- 10 years later –

It had been years since The Family of Four came to visit Us. We wonder how Veronica is?

A voice as soft as a chime floated along the breeze towards Us. “Hurry up! You take so long!” the girl cried with laughter.

“Why are we in this dense place anyway?” a young man complained. A few short moments later two teenagers emerged from the trees and walked to our edge.

“I used to come here all the time when I was little.” The girl proclaimed as she sat on a rock that rested on Our bank. “I have really missed this place, the water, the trees - it’s so peaceful here. Why did I ever stop coming?” she sighed as the boy walked up behind her, feet crunching on the stones. He wound his arms around her slight form as she leaned into him.

“It’s beautiful Veronica.” He whispered into her ear. So that’s Veronica? She looked up at the boy, their lips meeting.

Oh how We’ve missed Our Veronica, and how much she has grown. We rippled softly as her feet stepped into Our edge. She kept walking until the water was thigh deep, all the way We moved harm from her way; just like we did all those years ago.

--- 5 years later ---

Veronica has been visiting Us more often now, how glad We are when she steps through the tree line into Our site. As long as she’s with Us, We know she is safe. Our little Veronica, all grown up.

Sometimes she would bring the boy she has grown attached to, sometimes she’s alone, but today however she isn’t alone.

“I have a surprise for you.” The boy said with a smirk as they packed up their picnic lunch.

“What is it?” she asked grinning playfully. Her smile widened as the boy got down on one knee.

“Veronica Stanley, I have been yours for 6 years now, but have loved you for much longer. You are the only woman I have ever loved, and I plan to keep it that way. Veronica, will you be my wife?” he asked, pulling out a velvet box and opening it, revealing what lay inside.

“Of course!” she said through the tears running down her face. He took out the ring and slipped it onto her waiting finger. When he was done she pulled him up and enveloped him in a kiss.

Our little Veronica, all grown up.

--- 5 years later ---

Since the proposal, she hasn’t returned. We know she must have a good reason, but We do miss her.

Laughter drew our attention to the tree line. As we saw Veronica and the boy walk out of the trees We rippled with excitement. With them was a very small little girl. She immediately ran towards Us, just how Veronica did when she was small.

“Jess! Stay away from the water! Wait for one of us to get there!” she yelled to her child. As if We would let anything happen to her! She is Our little Veronica’s child. She is Our Jess.

Veronica lifted Jess into her arms and walked into Our depths; letting the water come up to her waist, not caring if her clothes got wet. As We did, We always did, We rolled the stones and nudged the fish, We look after Our Veronica.

“Guess what Jess?” she said looking deep into her daughters eyes.

“What mummy?” Jess replied intrigued by Us lapping at her feet.

“I used to come here when I was your age, all those years ago, nothing’s changed.” she smiled happily.

“Did you like it here?” Jess asked looking up at her mother.

“Oh, yes, that I did.” She said looking over Us and into the trees. “you know, everyone that has walked into this river has always complained about stepping onto sharp rocks, but I have never stepped on any. Not one.” She said her eyes glistening.

--- 2 years later ---

A few years passed, but We weren’t worried. We knew she would show up sooner or later.

Noises approached us from the trees, noises that were new to Us. No laughter, no voices, a different sound. She was crying.

Veronica stepped out of the trees and sat down on Our bank.

“They’re gone. They’re just … gone.” She said as she fell to her side. We couldn’t bear to see her like this! We pushed Our currents to lap comfortingly on her hand. She opened her eyes and looked at Us as we touched her hand, she moved her hand and used it to lift her body, leaning over Us and looking at her reflection in Our surface.

Clear liquid leaked from her eyes, and as the more drops hit Our surface We saw more. More memories, more emotions, more … love.

We saw her as a child, walking in Our shallows, never tripping or stepping on rocks, and she being happy. “The magic of the River” she called it all those years ago, magic that stopped her from hurting herself.

We saw her bringing her boyfriend here and then sharing their first kiss, We saw it all from her eyes.

We saw the proposal and felt her happiness as she said yes.

We saw her bring her family here as her daughter first starting to explore life. We felt her happiness to bring her child here, as her mum had brought her here.



We saw as the two cars collided, We felt the crash. We felt her desperation to see if her family were ok. We felt her sadness when they were not.

Our Little Veronica, all grown up.

Ageing still, but no one to age with.

As Veronica cried into the night, We couldn’t take it anymore, We cried and the heavens opened, rain fell; wetting everything.

Except for Our little Veronica, who stayed warm and well. We would never harm Our little Veronica.

--- 10 years later ---

It had been so many years since that night. We desperately wanted to know if she was ok. We worry about her a lot now. As long as she is with Us, We know she is safe.

Veronica emerged from the trees as the sun broke the horizon. She sat down gracefully at Our bank and looked deep within Us.

She placed one hand into Our Shallows and breathed out a sigh of relief.

“Thank you.” She said with a smile on her face.

“Thank you, for everything.”
♠ ♠ ♠
There you go. :)
please comment and tell me what you think of it!

=D