Status: Completed!! ^_^

Crash Into My Arms

Never Accept A Ride From A Stranger

Mum and Burke returned later in the evening. I kept the suitcase I had found in my room, Dad’s things belonged to me, Mum had no use for them, and they were all I had left of him. But I was not happy that Mum had hidden it from me, as if she were trying to erase my father’s existence, as if he had never lived at all.

“Mum?” I asked for her attention after she had put her bag down.
“What?!” She snapped at me.
“I have to talk to you about something.”
She twisted her face up at me. “What do you want?”
“I want to know why you didn’t tell me about Dad’s suitcase.” I said, folding my arms.
“What suitcase?”
“Cut the act, Mum, I found it in your wardrobe.”
“What were you doing in my room?”
“Looking for a blanket, it was freezing.”
“Did you go to school today?” She asked.
“No.”
“Why not?”
“Because it was snowing.” I explained.
“So you just decided to stay home, okay, well, you’re grounded.” She smirked.
“Mum!” I snapped. “You completely just dodged the fucking question I just asked you!”
“Don’t you talk to your mother like that!” Burke cut in.
“This has nothing to do with you, stay out of it!” I spat at him.
“Don’t you fucking talk to me like that!” He growled.
“Or what? You’re gonna hit me? Because I know much you would just love to hit me.” I sneered.
“Don’t test my patience.” He warned me.
“I know how much you would just love it if I didn’t exist, then you and Mum could fuck off to England together like you so badly want to.” I continued, pushing him, seeing if he would live up to his threats.
“Miseria, back off.” Mum warned me.
“I know how much you would just love to have me killed, you’ve already severed my relationship with my mother, so why not, Burke? Why don’t you just get me out of the way?” I tested him.
“Watch your fucking tongue, girl.” He growled.
“Do it.” I narrowed my eyes at him. “Go on, show Mum you really are the monster I know you fucking are. You filthy, scumbag, Pom!” I snapped.

He lost his temper, and with an angered growl, he smacked me clean across the cheek with the back of his hand. I was only a tiny thing, and the force of the blow sent me to the ground. I looked up from the floor, my breaths heaving with the shock of the sudden impact, before hoisting myself up off the ground.

I shut myself in my room, slamming the door and locking it, grabbing my backpack from the floor and tipping out my schoolbooks. I circled my room, pulling clothes from my wardrobe and drawers, packing away anything that I deemed useful; My phone, my wallet, pain killers, my water bottle, and stuffed it into my bag.

“Miseria!” Mum’s voice called from behind the door, as she repetitively pounded her fist on it. “What are you doing?!”
I ripped the door open. “Getting out of here, I’ve had it with you, and your filthy excuse for a boyfriend!” I spat, pushing past her and leaving the house.
“GET YOUR FUCKING ASS BACK HERE, NOW!” Burke yelled from the front door.
“BURN IN HELL YOU FILTHY PIECE OF SHIT!” I yelled back, turning on my heel and storming off up the driveway.

He continued to yell at me, but I just flipped him off and continued on my way. A few blocks away, I began to notice a black car following me. I quickened my pace, but not enough to show that I was afraid. My efforts failed me, as the car sped up and slowed to a steady pace once it caught up with me.

“A pretty little dame like you shouldn’t be wandering the streets by herself at this hour, not lost are you?” Said the driver, winding down his window.
“I’m just fine, thank you.”
He stopped the car.
“Let me take you back to my place, get’cha outta the cold.”
“I’ll be okay, really.”

His expression became annoyed, and he opened the door and got out, walking towards me. I had no option but to run, and dashed away as quick as I possibly could. Three minutes later I was gasping for air; I had never been a strong runner, and I had asthma, which didn’t help make it any easier.

But still, I pushed on, being out of breath and dying for a drink of water was a lot better than being raped. I scanned my surroundings, looking for something, anything; a weapon, a familiar house, an alleyway to turn down and get through quick enough to lose him.

I found myself on Max’s old street, if Terry was still up, I could run to her for help, I decided to give it a shot; if worse came to worse, I knew where Ben, Max’s younger brother, kept his skateboard, and could use that to either hit him or speed up my escape.

I ran up the driveway, and started hammering on the front door, yelling out for help. The man came to the end of the driveway, but fortunately enough, the porch light flicked on, and somebody began to open the door.

“Fuck!” He spat, and ran for it.

Terry’s familiar face greeted me as she opened the door.

“Miseria?” She spoke, her expression surprised. “What are you doing here?”
I looked up at her, just as I broke, and tears began to run down my face.
“Oh god, sweetheart, what happened?” She said, unlocking and opening the door, wrapping me up in a hug.

I didn’t respond, but instead began to cry. Terry led me into the lounge room and sat down on the couch, allowing me to cry on her lap.

“Shh, sweetie, it’s okay.” She cooed, stroking my hair and rubbing my arm to comfort me. “You’re safe.”