‹ Prequel: So Close Yet So Far

Meant to be

On My Own, Here I Go

"This is the bathroom, I just put up that pretty shower curtain there." Stella says giggling, "And in the medicine cabinet we have toothpaste and aspirin. Oh look Jakob uses Gillette brand shaving cream, makes his face smell really good by the way."

Stella runs through her new apartment with her camcorder. She just finished setting up everything in the bathroom.

"And here's Jakob trying to set up our bedroom furniture," she says coming into their bedroom where Jakob is sitting on the floor with pieces of the bed frame scattered around him and the instructions on his lap.

"Oh no, not the camera," he chuckles. "These instructions are hard enough to read already without a distraction."
"Maybe you're reading the Spanish side," she jokes.
"Nope, this is as English as the instructions are going to get," he laughs, "And I lost the Alan key."
"Jakey, its to your left," she giggles. He turns and sees it there. He snatches it and starts to assemble the bed frame.

"I'm glad you find this amusing," Jakob says rolling his eyes as he finishes up.
"I do," Stella says still holding up the camera.

"Put down the camera I need your help with the mattress," he says scratching the back of his head. Stella places the camera on the floor and heads over to help him move the mattress onto the bed.

"And back to the camera." Stella laughs as she goes to pick it up
"I'm starting to hate that thing." He laughs. "And now for the dresser."

He grabs his pocket knife and opens up the box with the pieces of precut wood and screws.
"Oh look Stella!" He yelps as he runs up to her. "These instructions are in legible English! Get a shot of this."
"Well I'm turning off the camera for now." Stella announces, "going to make some supper."
"Mmm what's for supper?" Jakob asks as he separates the pieces of the dresser.
"Spaghetti," she says simply.
"Okay," He says, going back to his assembly.

*

"So do you really want to have a baby?" Ramona asks her husband.
"If you do," he says as he gets ready to go to work. He goes up to the bed and kisses her lips gently.
"Good because I stopped taking the pill," she laughs.
"Thanks for informing me," he says rolling his eyes. "What if I said no?"
"Well I'm not pregnant yet," she says as she gets up. "We'll save that for tonight."
"How about all week, just to be sure," Joey laughs.
"Good plan." She pecks his lips gently, "You're going to be late."
"As are you," he says grabbing one of his file folders.

He leaves the condo within minutes and Ramona goes to shower before going to her desk to work on her advice column.

*

"How do you think they're Stella and Jakob are doing?" Mike asks his long time friend Billie Joe.
"They're fine," Billie reassures. "They've got their jobs, their apartment and Stella is pretty responsible."
"What about Jakob?" Mike asks cocking an eyebrow.
"He's grown up a lot since May, sort of remind me of me when I found out Adie was pregnant with Joey."
"Oh great," Mike laughs into his hands. "Ahh I still find it hard to believe that little Hero is all grown up and-"
"You're just going to depress yourself man," Billie says calmly. "Joe and Ramona got married. I was expecting my first grandchild to come from them, you know but then its my youngest son, who's still in college. At least you still have Travis."

"Travis doesn't want to have anything to do with me, I mean up until Stella was sixteen she still hung out with me from time to time," Mike recalls, "We'd have movie night and stuff but Travis is different, he just likes his space."
"I told you, you'd only end up depressing yourself."

*

"Does this mean we're grown up?" Stella asks as she and Jakob sit on the couch with their dinners.
"What?"
"We bought furniture, we're renting out an apartment, having a baby. Does it mean we're grown up?"
"I don't wanna grow up," Jakob says childishly. "We're just, umm, teenagers with more responsibility."
"Never pictured this when we were in high school," she sighs.
"Well I don't think anyone pictures responsibility when they're in high school."

"Sure as hell didn't picture getting pregnant right before graduation."
"So things didn't go as planned," Jake says optimistically, "Aren't you glad it was with me and not some one night stand?"
"Yeah," she laughs, "I love you Jakob."
"Love you too," he says sweetly as he pecks her lips.