‹ Prequel: So Close Yet So Far

Meant to be

Worries

Jakob, Stella and Audrey get home to their apartment later that week late in the evening. They put Audrey in her room where her crib was set up waiting for her arrival. The second they left the bedside she started crying.
“I’ll take care of it.” Jakob says to his exhausted girlfriend.
“Thanks babe.” She says as she goes off to their room.

Jakob picks up the infant and starts to rock her in his arms.
“I love you, I love you, I love you so.” He starts singing, “I love you more than you’ll ever know.” He hums a bit, “Please stop crying, stop crying little Audrey, so we can all get some sleep.” She calms down a bit so she’s only letting out a small whine, “I love you, I love you, more than you’ll ever know.”

She finally shuts her eyes and Jakob places her carefully back in her crib. He steps lightly back to his and Stella’s room. Stella was already fast asleep, from the past two days of experience he knew she was going to have to wake up every few hours to feed Audrey.

He got undressed and slipped into bed where he soon fell asleep.

*
“Do you think they’re going to be okay?” Adie asks her husband as they lay in bed.
“They’ll be fine,” Billie Joe grumbles, “We were fine when Joey was born.”
“Brainstew.” She replies.
“Sleep deprivation aside, they’ll be fine.”
“But-“
“Adie, you know as well as I do they’re a hell of a lot more mature then we were at the age.”
“How can they be more mature than us if Audrey was an accident!”
“Joey was an accident!”
“We were married, so that doesn’t count.” Adie protests.
“He was conceived before we were married.” They both stay silent.

“So are you sure they’ll be okay?” Adie asks one last time.
“Yeah, and if not, they’ll call us.”
“Yeah.”