‹ Prequel: So Close Yet So Far

Meant to be

I shall call this chapter Batman for no particula

"So, I think I should go back home in two weeks." Ramona says as she and Joey walk around downtown Toronto.
"But you're only due in five."
"Yeah, in case the baby comes early," she says rubbing her stomach, "I don't want the stress of her being born here."
"Alright." he sighs, "But what if she's born before I get back home?"
"Well, you take the next flight and see her as soon as possible." she mumbles, "I just want to be able to give birth then take her home, I don't want the stress of a plane ride and-"
"Yeah, I get that." Joey says distractedly as he sees a familiar figure walking towards them.

"Joey? Joey Armstrong!" the familiar figure exclaims, her lean body practically springs forward to hug him, tossing her long blond hair as she went, "Its been so long."
"Uhh yeah." he says uneasily, "This is my wife Ramona, and Ramona, this is Brooke."
"Nice to meet you." Brooke says happily, "Awe! You're having a baby, boy or girl?"
"Girl." Ramona says proudly, "So how do you two know each other?"
"Oh well, we went out for a while in college." Brooke says carelessly, "Don't worry, I'm not a threat, I have my own husband."
"Oh is that right." Ramona says forcing a smile. Joey swallows hard, he'd never told Ramona about Brooke.

"Oh remember those times in graphic design." Brooke reminisces, "Not to mention those parties."
"Yeah-ha-ha." Joey says feeling the blood rushing to his face.
"Great times."
"Well Brooke, it's been lovely having meeting you," Ramona says between gritted teeth, "But we have to be going, a million errands to run and just not enough time."
"Right, I'm supposed to be heading to meet Daniel, my husband, for lunch."
"Alright, see ya." Joey says as he and Ramona walk briskly along.

Ramona stays tight lipped for another two blocks.
"Listen, I'm sorry I never told you about Brooke its just-"
"You're a cheating scumbag with shit for brains?" she provides.
"It was when we were broken up!" he retorts.
"We were broken up a month and half! Boy you move on fast from your fucking high school sweet heart!"
"It doesn't matter, we're together now."
"Yes it does matter Joseph! You are the only guy that I've ever been with and you had this secret girlfriend!"
"I NEVER SLEPT WITH HER!" he exclaims, "Yeah, we went out a couple of times."
"How far did you get with her then?" Ramona asks crossing her arms.
"Ramona!"
"Answer the question!"
"We made out, I didn't get under her bra or anything, just made out. Okay?"
"Let's just go home." she pouts.
"I'm sorry I never told you about her, but she meant nothing."
"She better have not."
"I love you, I married you, I only want to be with you."
"Joseph, just take me home." she says in a way that shows she's forgiving him but grudging for a bit.

"I wanna break up." Josh says apologetically, "Its just too weird going out with you, we're more like brothers." Travis's face drops.
"I guess I can understand that." he mumbles in return, "So you're getting back together with Denisse."
"Urgh, yeah." Josh groans with guilt, "I love her you know?"
"But if you broke up before then-"
"It was her parents that made her break up with me, you know, the whole blow job thing."
"Yeah." Travis says looking away, "Still friends?"
"Till death." Josh says with a wink.

"STELLA!!!" Jake screeches across the apartment, "She baby talked!"
"What?" Stella gasps, bursting out of the washroom with half her hair straight the other half still a frizzy mess.
"Grronnngheerr." Audrey drools.
"Awe!" Stella shrieks, "That's adorable."

"Well I have to get to class now." Jakob sighs as he hands his daughter over to Stella but not before playing a kiss on her forehead.
"What time will you be home?" Stella asks as she adjusts Audrey in her arms.
"Err, late, around nine." Jakob mumbles, "I might be home for like half an hour to grab some supper though."
"Alright." she sighs, it was hard not having him home. He really had his plate full with both school and work but she knew things would get better in June once he graduated.