Status: Completed! :) Sequel is up now! ^_^

Please Don't Cross Me, I Asked Nicely

Chapter 14

Nick and I walked back to our respective dorms, groaning as we climbed the steps.

“Jeez. These books are killing me!” I groaned.

“I know, right? These books are ridiculous in size”, he agreed.

We eventually said our goodbyes when we reached our dorms and managed to unlock our doors. I sighed, picking up my English III book before proceeding out of my dorm.

I placed it into my messenger bag, groaning again as I locked the door behind me.

Once I turned around, I heard the locking of Nick's door. I smiled as he walked me to our class.

We reached the 2nd floor of the A building in record time. This classroom had 4 desks pushed together as groups. There were 8 groups in the class. We spotted Mel, immediately sitting in her group before anyone else could. I realized a white paper sat in the middle of each group.

It read:

Only 3 people are allowed in each group. Please write your name(s) on this sheet.

I smiled. Mel giggled with excitement, writing her name first. I wrote mine next, with Nick following suit afterward.

The bell rung and our teacher entered the room. He was bald, about 5 foot 9 or 10. I'd seen him before, but never had his class. He wore a dark blue shirt that had red, green, and yellow thin stripes on the torso area, beige pants, and brown shoes.

He stood to the front of the class, since his desk was near the back.

“Hey, guys. My name is Mr. Schick. Don't make fun of my name since it's similar to the shaving razor. Trust me, I'm not related to that guy”, he began.

The class laughed, even Nick.

“Anyway, as many of you know, today is going to be an extended day since most of you are returning students while others are new here. So, would all new students, please raise their hands”, he said.

Nick, Mel, and 5 others in the class raised their hands. I realized 3 people whom I despise were in here. Vic and the two girls that were with her a few days previously.

I nudged Mel, then Nick once they placed their hands down.

“What?” Mel mouthed. Nick raised a brow.

Vic's eyes landed on mine. She whispered to the other 2 and they stared at me. Nick and Mel followed my gaze, Mel's mouth dropping open. Mr. Schick spoke once more.

“OK, just a few of you. I'm going to pass out my syllabus before I continue”, he said, swiftly walking to his desk as he picked up a stack of thin packets.

He gave 3 to each group. We received ours last since we were the last group.

Silent chatter filled the room as we read the syllabus.

“What is Vic doing here?” Mel asked a little angrily.

“I don't know, but this always happens. Vic and I always have at least one class together every year”, I answered.

Mr. Schick cleared his throat, holding a syllabus himself as he sat at his desk.

“Alright, guys, no more chatter. You know we're on a tight schedule today”, he said casually, yet firmly.

“Let's read this syllabus”, he began, “You'll need 5 materials for this class; pens, pencils, a spiral, a one inch binder, and loose-lead, college-ruled notebook paper. The pens need to be blue, black, and red ink only. The red pen will be used for correcting, editing, and checking or grading papers. You'll each grade someone else's paper when it comes down to tests, but your own for essays. I'll grade any and all group projects.”

The class nodded, except me. I expected this.

“Pencils must be#2. They will mainly be used on tests and writing drafts, etc. for essays. For scantron tests, you'll need a wooden, #2 pencil with a good eraser, strictly Ticonderoga. Mechanical pencils must also be #2, otherwise, they aren't permitted.”

“The spiral notebook is going to be used strictly for notes. You may use a blue or black pen to write your notes, but no pencil.”

“The loose-leaf paper will serve as a base for pre-notes which you may write your notes first on there instead of your spiral. You will also use the paper for your drafts, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, as well as editing for essays. By the way, all essays must be typed. The format is on your syllabus.”

“Your binder will consist of your spiral, notes, essays, and worksheets that are completed in this class. It all must be organized by date, with the syllabus always being the first piece in your binder.”

“Your grades will be based off of Overall Organization, Tests, Essays, and Group Projects. All of your drafts, etc. will be graded, well counted as extra credit, only two points each, sometimes three. Any questions?” he asked.

“Mr. Schick, what about groups and group projects?” one kid asked.

“The groups you are in now are permanent. You're all responsible for your own grades individually unless you have a group project. If one person doesn't do their part, you all lose that one-third of your grade on the overall project. Don't worry. You'll have time to do them, but that doesn't mean that you should procrastinate until the last minute”, he warned.

We all nodded in comprehension.

“OK. So, I'll explain what's going to happen now. In about five minutes, all new students will have a quick tour of the school, while the rest of you will head to lunch or your dorms until lunch starts in about an hour”, Mr. Schick began.

“So, I'm going to collect the papers from your groups and quickly verify that the new students are here”, he concluded, quickly pacing to each group as he collected the paper we wrote our names on earlier.

I sighed as the room once again went into a chatter.

“Rose! You didn't tell me this was going to happen!” Mel hissed.

I bit my lip as Nick's eyes met mine.

“It's fine, right, Mel?” he asked, not tearing his gaze from me.

Mel sighed.

“Fine. We'll see you in Algebra or lunch, OK?” she caved, seeing there was only a minute left before we were all dismissed.

When the bell rung, Mr. Schick spoke once more.

“OK. I only need Rosalina Sanchez to stay behind, if that's alright? The rest of you may leave.”

I sighed quietly.

Mel shot me a look. I shrugged at her. I didn't know why he wanted me to stay behind.

The class filed out. I only saw Vic practically “run” into Nick before the class was empty.

“Yes, Mr. Schick?” I asked as I walked to his desk.

“You do understand that this is English III and not English III Honors, correct?” he asked.

“Yes, sir. I didn't want another Honors class”, I replied.

“Well, according to my records, Rose, you made a B in that class, correct?” he asked.

I knew where he was going with this.

“Yes, sir”, I answered.

“Why didn't you sign up for A.P. Lit or English III Honors? Obviously, you have a talent with English, especially when it comes down to poems”, he said.

“Sir, with all due respect, I didn't want to deal with the workload. Yes, I have the potential, but I must have time to socialize as well”, I countered.

Mr. Schick smiled.

“You are a very intelligent young lady. Mrs. Thorne put me up to this. I'm sorry”, he admitted.

I laughed a little. Typical Thorne.

“It's fine. Is it alright for-”, I began, but he cut across me.

“Oh, of course. You're dismissed”, he said kindly.

I smiled and walked out of the classroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
I lost a subscriber! :0 That sucks so much.

It kind of dampened my spirit, but oh, well. These things happen.

Anyways, what did you guys think? Apparently, I was supposed to update yesterday, but I forgot to, so I'm updating now.

Please don't forget to comment and subscribe.