Status: Completed! :) Sequel is up now! ^_^

Please Don't Cross Me, I Asked Nicely

Chapter 23

I blinked in disbelief, barely able to allow Nick's words to sink in.

“But you're a great singer! Why would that-” I began, but he cut across me again.

“I was good at baseball, the best player on the team both Freshman and Sophomore year. That's why Joe asked me to get into the batting cage. At my old schools, a lot of girls liked me because of my baseball title. I took up Music Appreciation in middle school, so I knew my way with music besides my parents.”

“A girl came up to me as I fiddled with my guitar. She didn't think I could sing since I was simply strumming to whatever songs went through my head. Eventually, she asked me to sing... and I did.”

He paused before speaking again.

“It was a song that I wrote myself and the girl said my voice was horrible. Soon enough, rumors spread around school that I was going to give up baseball for music. Other people thought I was gay. It got to a point in which I was even bullied. Someone even threatened me that if I didn't choose baseball that they would kill me.”

“Jeez. It's just baseball and music. They're both great choices and loving both is understandable,” I admitted.

“I agree. Music is in my blood, so are sports. I can't just.. give up either of them,” Nick replied.

“But you did,” I said slowly.

He nodded in return.

“Me, too,” I mumbled.

“What?!” Nick asked in surprise, whipping his head towards my own.

“I-I play the guitar, too. I also love photography and singing even though I'm not very good at the singing part and-” but he cut across me once more.

“Wait. You sing?” he asked.

I bit my lip a little.

“Yeah. I do,” I answered now interested in my nails.

“Sing for me,” he whispered, suddenly very close to me.

“I-I-I-OK,” I sighed.

He handed me the guitar and I took it reluctantly. I began playing some chords to the song I was going to sing, my eyes on Nick's face.

“The truth is, I've sung before, too, in middle school. Vic was jealous as usual, so when I performed at our talent show, she'd already planned out everything. She convinced the entire student body to no matter what, start booing once I finished my performance. I didn't know about it until I performed. From that day on, I swore to never sing in front of an audience or for anyone besides Jake since he was my best friend.”

I wrote this song for him even though I can't stand him now.

Nick nodded, coaxing me to play.

You reel me in with your smile.
You made me melt with your voice.
I wasn't gonna for a while,
just to find that I'm your seventh choice.
And I don't wanna pay the cost,
but it'd be best if you'd get lost,
cause we know you'll never change.

Don't say that you need me,
and don't play these games with my mind.
You better get out of my head,
cause you're wastin' your time.
Don't say it's forever,
and don't play cause you had your shot.
You better stop messing around,
cause you're gonna get caught


I thought of everything Brian did to me. He made me fall in love with him by telling me everything I wanted to hear before getting what he wanted from me.

You promise me I'll have your time,
I guess I'm not the only one.
But see it's my heart on the line this time!
I'm your number one,
now we're done!

Don't say that you need me,
and don't play these games with my mind.
You better get out of my head,
cause you're wastin' your time.
Don't say it's forever,
and don't play cause you had your shot.
You better stop messing around,
cause you're gonna get caught.


I thought about how he played me and left me only to go after Vic. I couldn't bear it.

Don't even try to get me back (you won't get me back, you won't get me back)
don't forget about our past (I won't forget, no!)
Never had the guts to leave now you're making it
Now you're making it that much easier for me to see

Don't say that you're sorry
for breaking every inch of my heart
I should've known from the start now
it's time to get lost!

Don't say that you need me,
and don't play these games with my mind.
You better get out of my head,
cause you're wastin' your time.
Don't say it's forever,
and don't play cause you had your shot.
You better stop messing around,
cause you're gonna get caught.

You'd better stop messin' around
cause you're gonna get caught!


I finished the final chord, a tear escaping my eyes.

“S-sorry. I-”

But just as suddenly, I felt a pair of warm lips on my own. Fireworks exploded in my mind. My eyes fluttered closed as Nick and I's lips moved in sync. Somehow, I ended up on my back, hitting the grass softly. The guitar also ended next to me on my left. I guess Nick moved it since I surely didn't touch it. He hovered over me breathing a little heavily. Then, he pulled away a little, caressing my cheek with his right, slightly calloused hand while using his left to support himself up.

“You don't have to cry anymore, Rose. I understand what you've gone though. I-I feel like you understand me more than anyone I've ever known or met in my entire life. I don't want to seem like I'm desperate or anything, but you're a beautiful, intelligent young woman with an amazing personality. You have sort of an interesting and very unique way of thinking compared to most girls and that draws me in. I just want to ask... Rosalina, will you be my girlfriend?”

I was speechless. I honestly didn't know what to say. I wanted to say yes. Hell, my gut wanted me to say yes, but... a part of me felt like it'd create drama if I listened to that side. Would Victoria go after Nick? Yes. Hell yes. But would Nick give a shit? Probably, more than likely, not. Aww, what the hell?

“Yes.” I answered.

“It's OK. I understand why you- Wait. You-you said yes!” he exclaimed happily.

I burst out laughing causing Nick to blush.

“You expected me to say no?” I asked once my laughter died away 30 seconds later.

Nick chuckled nervously.

“Well, you seem kind of like you have a lot of standards that are just hard to find in any guy, so...”

“Nick!” I exclaimed in embarrassment.

“I'm kidding,” he said, removing my hands from my face before he placed a kiss to my forehead.

Once again, my eyes fluttered closed. I just loved the feeling of his lips on my skin, but just as I enjoyed the feeling, Vic's threat from earlier rang in my ears.

”I want Nick and you're going to help me get him.”

I sighed mentally. Now had to be the time to tell Nick.

“Nick, I have to tell you something,” I said in a serious tone.

He pulled away, sitting up like before as I did the same.

“I'm listening,” he said just as serious, his face going blank, emotionless.

Did he do this a lot?

“The thing is.. Vic is-well, she wants you, too. Earlier at lunch, she asked what I knew about you. She even expected me to help her get to you,” I began.

“I see,” he said, looking away from me.

“But I said no,” I replied quickly.

Nick's head whipped over to me as his eyes bored into my own.

“Why?” he asked, tilting his head a little.

I bit my lip, not wanting to tell him the truth. Oh well.

“Because I like you, too, and... even if I didn't or if Vic wasn't my sister, I wouldn't want her to hurt you, too. Her only goal is to hurt me in the end above everything and everyone else,” I answered honestly.

“It's funny. I didn't think things would be this difficult,” he replied, running a hand through his curls.

He stood abruptly, catching me completely off guard. Nick even began pacing a little bit. I stood, too, watching him, my heart thumping harder in my chest as I watched him nervously. He had a hard, concentrated look on his face as though he were deciding something.

“Are you formulating some kind of plan, Jonas?” I asked with a brow raised, a slight smile on my lips.

“Yes. One that involves us being a couple, but not telling Vic,” he answered, still pacing.

“So you want to lie to everyone about us?” I asked, hurt by the thought.

A sigh escaped his lips.

“Not everyone, especially not Mel or my brothers,” he replied, staring at me again.

Finally.

“But what about our parents? If I tell Dad, he'll tell Vic and then-” but Nick cut across me again.

“I don't know, Rosie. I just don't know,” he replied.

“Rosie?” I asked, my voice choking up a little.

“Is it bad that I called you Rosie or something?” he asked, sensing my pain somehow.

“No, it's fine. My mom calls me Rosie, that's all. My dad only calls me Rosa or Rosalina, barely Rose,” I said in a quiet tone.

“Wow,” Nick replied in shock.

“Yeah. Anyways, we're going to keep us a secret?” I asked, wanting desperately to change the subject.

“Only if you want to, but the student body isn't that naive”, he pointed out. Damn it. He got me there.

“True... But I know how Vic is,” I tried.

Nick walked to me until there wasn't any space between us, placing his hands on my hips.

“Then, just explain to her that we're dating when you're ready. I'm only interested in Rosalina, not Victoria,” he said in a low tone.

A small smile graced his lips and soon, one formed on my own.

“Aww, come on. I know you can smile better than that,” he coaxed lightly.

My smile widened as a laugh escaped my lips.

“There it is,” he said with a playful gasp.

I placed my hands on his chest.

“Don't push your luck, mister,” I said trying to pull away from him. I failed miserably.

“Uh, uh, uh. I can attempt to push my luck if I paid you with a kiss, right?” he asked with a smirk.

I smiled playfully.

“I don't know. We'll have to see, now won't we?” I teased.

“I don't mind testing that theory,” he replied before placing a passionate kiss to my lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
First of all, I'd like to say, I DO NOT own the song Rose sung in this chapter. The song that was used for this chapter is called Gonna Get Caught by Demi Lovato.

Second of all, I'd like to also say..........

Hello, my lovelies! :D I'm SOOOOO sorry for the this late update. I worked my butt off for the past couple of weeks to pull this chapter out.

I wanted the first kiss between Nick and Rose to be quick, simple, and sweet. Obviously, both of these characters are already opening up to each other a little bit.

So, what do you think about Nick and Rose keeping their relationship a secret? Do you think it will work out or will it all fall apart?

I love building suspense. LOL

Anyways, the next chapter will take place a few days before Nick's birthday, so it'll be kind of filler-ish, but VERY important, OK?

Also, chapter 25 will be Nick's 17th birthday, so a LOT might happen. I don't know when this story will end, but there's A LOT more to come. I just have to decide how I'm going to lead it to one of the first major dramatic points (besides Victoria's obsession with taking everything and everyone from Rose).

OK. Enough of my rambling.

As always, please don't forget to comment and subscribe. ^_^