Status: Completed! :) Sequel is up now! ^_^

Please Don't Cross Me, I Asked Nicely

Chapter 35

A couple of hours later, Vic, Nick, and I were all packed and ready to leave our school. Mel decided not to leave since she'd be extremely swamped with work if she left with us.

“I hope she's OK”, Vic said in a quiet tone.

I nodded once, but didn't speak once we were seated on the plane. I was too distracted. Too busy thinking about how Mom had to be OK and how whatever happened, that she would fight no matter what...



We made it to Jacksonville in about 7 hours' time, me nearly running out of the airport.

“Rose. Rose!” Nick called.

I ignored him, continuing my brisk pace, not thinking about him or Vic. I found a taxi and told him the address, waiting impatiently for Nick and Vic to catch up.

About five minutes later, they arrived, hand in hand to the cab breathing heavily. Nick obviously pulled her the entire way. Slow pokes.



I stared out at the familiar scenery as the ride home commenced. Nick kept shooting me concerned looks. I was blocking him out entirely. My mind was solely on Mom. She had to be OK. She just had to be.

Through the grueling minutes of silence after Vic fell asleep, Nick finally spoke.

“Why did you leave me and Vic at the airport?” he whispered.

Almost left you. I didn't leave you”, I corrected.

“And that! What's with the attitude?” he asked in an annoyed tone.

“The faster I get to my mom, the less tense I'll be”, I retorted.

Nick sighed angrily, but didn't push the subject. At the time, I didn't care. I only wanted my mom, whatever it was, to make it through.



Thirty minutes later, we arrived to Mercy Hospital, carrying our luggage as well. Mercy Hospital was a private hospital that only certain people can be seen. I went to the front desk, asking for her room number, even pulling out my state ID to verify I was her daughter. The security was really tight, almost not allowing Nick to come with us.

Once I spotted Dad after we reached the second floor in the waiting room, he spotted us, hugging me first, then Vic (whom was in tears) much longer. I rolled my eyes. He looked at Nick, completely torn.

“Who is this, Rosalina, Vic? I trust he's your boyfriend, Victoria?” he assumed.

“Um, no, sir. I'm Rose's boyfriend, Nick. It's nice to meet you, sir”, Nick said politely, taking a step closer to shake his hand.

“Rosalina, you mean? You can't be serious”, Dad replied.

“Um, yes, sir. I am. I'm happy to be with Rose”, he stressed, wrapping an arm around my waist.

“Hmm.. That's, er, nice”, Dad said uncertainly.

“W-Where's Mom?” Vic asked, a tear sliding down her cheek.

“Sh-she's in room 214, Vicky, but-”

My ears didn't want to hear what Dad had to say. I felt my feet take off, everything around me a blur except the room door numbers. I found 214, turning the door knob, seeing my mom laying in the bed, breathing tubes in her nose in a hospital gown. Her long, brown hair was in a bun, but her head turned in my direction at the sound of the door. Her brown eyes met my own.

“Oh, Rosie”, she said weakly.

I looked at my mother. Her skin wasn't full of the tan color I was used to. It was pale all over and her eyes, her eyes didn't shine like they used to. They were dull and lifeless, not full of energy and light like how they used to be. She looked tired, exhausted in general.

“M-Mom, why are you here?” I asked.

I heard more footsteps as she stared back at me.

“Honey-”, she began, but Vic cut across her.

“Rose, what are you doing? Mom needs her rest”, she scolded.

“Leave me alone, Vic!” I yelled.

“No, I won't! You can't just come in here and interrogate Mom!” she argued.

“I told you, Vic, stay out of this”, I said coldly to her.

“Don't talk to your sister like that, Rosalina. You know better!” Dad exclaimed angrily.

“Victor”, Mom began, “it's OK. Rose is like me. I know how she feels. I'll answer your question, Rose. My beautiful Rose. I-I have leukemia.”
♠ ♠ ♠
New update, as promised! I don't know when I'll be updating again because I have to go and buy my books for college. Eeeep! I'm SO excited!!

Anyways, what did you guys think? Did you see that coming?

Please, please check out World Watchers, my newest story. It's purely original fiction. :)

Please don't forget to comment and subscribe.