Status: Completed! :) Sequel is up now! ^_^

Please Don't Cross Me, I Asked Nicely

Chapter 41

A few days rolled around and it was November 5th and I was already scared out of my mind. Mom wasn't feeling as good as she was a few days previously. Both Vic and Dad still had hope that she'd make another 180 back to full health, but that gut feeling I had before came back, stronger than ever.

“Are you alright, Rosie?” Nick asked, tucking a piece of hair behind my right ear.

He, Mel, and I were currently sitting in English class working on our group project; act out a scene from The Odyssey. Needless to say, we were procrastinating on it. My mind was elsewhere as I quickly noticed two pairs of eyes staring at me for my response.

“It's just...my mom, you know?” I got out. I didn't know how to explain it in order for them to comprehend it as well.

“You've gotta have faith, Rose”, Mel replied instantly.

Nick nodded his head in comprehension to me. He and I talked about my gut feeling numerous times over the past few days. Mel had been busy with school work more than anything, so she was often times out of our dorm than anything.

Mel opened her mouth to speak again, but Mr. Schick cut across her.

“Alright, guys! Time to wrap things up! Remember, those are due the day before Winter Break starts, so get a move on!” he teased.

Mel, Nick, and I gathered our things and headed for the door as the bell rung, another surprise waiting after we stepped out of the room. Victoria stood there, not with her flunkies, waiting for us. I was shocked to say the least. She was actually wearing the regular school uniform and only 2 in, black heels. Her hair was in curls again, but some was tied back as the rest flowed down her back. She had a bag identical to mine with her books inside of it. For once, Victoria was alone.

She bit her lip before speaking.

“Hi, Rose. Nick, Melanie”, she addressed politely in a soft tone. Mel and Nick nodded to her in return as I did the same. Her eyes were hazel instead of any other color and I instantly felt bad for her.

Ever since mom got sick and we got back to school, her friends seemed to have abandoned her. I didn't understand it at all nor did I really want to know what happened.

“So, what class do you guys have next period?” Vic asked as we continued walking at a slower pace than usual for her to catch up with us.

“Algebra 2”, I answered in a casual tone. Vic nodded in return as she understood instantly. I thought something over before speaking again.

“Are you heading to lunch?” I asked nervously. I could feel Nick and Mel's gaze burning into the back of my head. They must have thought I was crazy.

“Yeah, I am. But I have to drop my books off to my dorm first”, she answered slowly, looking down at her feet as she looked towards the dorm building.

We were already heading in that direction, but something urged me to do something I never did before.

“D-did you want us to wait for you?” I asked, biting my lip as I heard Mel sigh quietly in annoyance.

“That would be great!..But I know you guys don't like me and you have good reason not to after the things I did to you...especially you, Rose”, Vic replied sadly.

This time, Nick sighed and I looked at him for an answer. He stared back at me with sympathy, but it quickly turned into a blank expression. He didn't want his feelings to affect my decision.

“We don't mind. We have to head there ourselves, so it's no big”, I said in a civil tone.

“Thanks, guys”, Vic said in a kind tone before rushing up the stairs to her dorm.

Nick, Mel, and I didn't speak when we entered Mel and I's dorm. Nick had grown into the habit of leaving his things in our room since he and I have the same classes. Once the door closed behind us, Mel spoke first.

“What the hell is wrong with you? Are you high, Rose?” she exclaimed angrily.

“What? She had no one to sit with and all of her friends have deserted her! Give her a break, Mel!” I retorted taken aback.

“Seriously, Rose! Are you that stupid?” she asked as she changed her books in her bag, taking the English book out and quickly replacing it with our light Algebra 2 one.

“Stupid? How is that stupid?” I asked defensively.

“Because even after everything Vic did to you, you basically let her back in your life with open arms”, Nick answered for Mel.

Mel looked at Nick in shock for a moment before adding in a calmer tone, “I don't trust her.”

I sighed in frustration. They were basically ganging up on me.

“I'm sorry, but she's my sister. I've been where she's at right now. I know how difficult it is to not have any friends”, I replied in a calm tone as well.

“But it's because of her, Rose. That's all we're saying”, Mel said after a few moments.

“Nothing is going to happen, Mel, alright? I'm not going to let my guard down”, I stressed.

“That's the thing, babe”, Nick began slowly before my eyes turned to him. “You have been letting your guard down, ever since we were at your house.. I'm not saying you shouldn't be nice to Vic, but you should have some limits”, he concluded.

I stood in shock at him and Mel. Everything they'd said sounded ridiculous to me. I wasn't slacking on Vic for everything she did to me... It's just.. she needed someone now and that's my sister. I couldn't just abandon her. Mel's sigh brought me out of my thoughts.

“Do what you want to do, Rosalina. Just...please put our words into consideration, alright?” Mel said in a calm tone, wrapping her arms around me as she embraced me in a hug.

I didn't hug her back. I was pissed but moreso confused than anything.

She sighed once more before walking out of the door without so much as a backward glance. Nick walked to me, then kissed my forehead before he, too left the room.

I felt like falling onto my bed and blasting my Ipod, but I didn't. I changed my books, then headed out the door, locking it behind me.



When we reached the cafeteria with Vic, all eyes landed on us and I instantly felt uncomfortable. The table Vic usually occupied with her friends was full except one seat where she usually sat. There were about four girls and five boys at the table, including Brian and Jake.

Chatter instantly filled the air as Vic avoided their gaze. I was grateful when everyone went back to whatever they were doing before we entered. We got into the McDonald's line, ordering quickly, then sat at our usual table.

The tension filled the air as we all ate in silence. Mel didn't look at me or Vic, but her food more than anything. I looked at Nick as he looked at Vic. She was playing with her fries, not even taking a bite out of one of her McDoubles.

I sighed deeply as I continued eating my McChicken, not wanting to start a conversation. But Nick thought otherwise.

“Aren't you going to eat?” he asked Vic, staring intently at her. She stared up at him, before looking back at her food.

“Y-yeah. I just-I'm trying to get used to this”, she replied honestly as her eyes stayed hazel which surprised me by the minute.

“Used to what?” he asked, wrinkling his brows slightly as he analyzed her.

“This”, she said, pointing from us to her table and back again. “It's so...awkward”, she admitted.

“You'll get used to it. If they were your real friends, they'd accept and understand what you're going through”, Nick said blatantly.

I stared at Mel and I saw her staring at Nick as though she wanted to say something, but she never did. I frowned in confusion, but shook it off as the rest of lunch went by in silence.



Later that night, I couldn't sleep for anything. I'd woken up from a nightmare of crying but I didn't know why I was crying or where I was. I'd tried sleeping again around 2 AM but I had the same nightmare, this time, it scared me so bad that I woke up crying causing Mel to comfort me.

I didn't know what was wrong with me.

The next morning, I got dressed for class before the others and decided to walk around campus by myself. It was a cool morning, but I didn't care. I felt..lost. I didn't want to talk to Nick because he'd been sympathetic enough to me and surprisingly to Vic as well. Mel hadn't spoken to me ever since I told her about my nightmare, so I didn't want to bother her, either.

For once this year, I was alone. I had no one to talk to and my number one person was in the hospital. My feet led me to the gym for some reason and I shuttered as I passed the pool, thinking back to when Alyson pushed me into the Jonas' pool.

I laid on the cold, wooden floor staring at the ceiling as I thought about everything. Would things always be this way? Would I have to get used to hanging out with Vic? What was wrong with Mel? I wanted to ask her, but I decided against it.

I sighed as I felt sadness overcome me. No matter how much I tried not to feel sadness and only think optimistically, the sadness lingered. But what confused me more was the fact that I didn't know what I was sad about.

Mom was sick, yes, but she was still here. Nick and I were happy, well, content so there's no problem there. Vic was coming around somehow and Mel and I... I knew we were going to solve things out eventually.

I closed my eyes as I felt myself becoming sleepy but no matter how hard I fought, I ended up drifting off into a deep slumber.

”Rose, baby. Wake up.”

I jolted awake as I sat up more alert than ever. That was my mom's voice. But how? My eyes refocused on my surroundings and I realized I was still in the gym. I pulled out my phone, it reading 7:00 AM. I had 5 missed calls and 3 text messages. Two of the calls were from Nick, as were two from Mel, but the last one was from Vic.

I stood, checking my texts. The first one was from Mel.

Where r u Rose? Call me ASAP! You'd better not have gotten into any trouble!

I smiled as I read the next one, this time from Vic.

Rose, Nick and Mel told me you weren't in your dorm. Where are you? It's almost time to get up for class! Call them, please.

I sighed before reading the last one from Nick, a smile on my lips the entire time.

Rosie, where are you? Please call me and Mel. We're really worried. I hope you're OK. I love you.

I sighed once more before I headed out of the gym to my dorm once more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, guys! I'm finally back! My internet is up and running again so I'll be posting chapters weekly, hopefully. :) 1,921 words including the BB Codes, I think. ;) Man, I'm good.

I'm in a good mood, so I'll double post today. Sounds good?

Don't forget to comment in the comments section of this story.

By the way, I hope this story will end by chapter 60 at least, then the sequel will start, which I've already started on.

Again, don't forget to comment, guys!