Status: Completed! :) Sequel is up now! ^_^

Please Don't Cross Me, I Asked Nicely

Chapter 44

A few weeks passed and once again, we were packing to go leave the campus for winter break. I had slowly accepted the fact that my mom was dead and was in better, lighter moods than I was before Nick sung Take A Breath to me.

To sum up everything that'd happened so far, would take forever, so, I'll give you the short version. First of all, Joe and Mel have officially stopped talking to each other for some reason which is definitely bothering me. At first they were fine but ever since a couple of weeks ago, they've just stopped. I don't know what's wrong with them. Nick keeps talking to Vic to comfort her as well as me. I haven't had anymore odd encounters with Jake and Brian apparently transferred from New Preston altogether.

Things have been pretty peaceful, but I just couldn't get this odd feeling out of my stomach. It wasn't the feeling like the one I had when mom was alive and sick, it was more like...I don't know, an anxious feeling, I suppose?

For the next few days or so, we were going to be at the Jonas', which to my surprise, everyone, including Joe, Danielle, and Mel are going as well as the gang as Nick likes to call them. I'd been wondering what things would be like after we leave the Jonas' and spend the rest of the holidays in New York.

I was nervous to say the least because I'd never been to New York and because it would be an extended amount of time that I'd have to spend around Alyson. My mind soon landed on my own family.

A part of me hoped Victoria would be OK as well as Dad, but as another part of me knew that wasn't going to happen. Dad hasn't really spoken to me since mom's funeral at all which hurt, a lot. Victoria's friends still haven't spoken to her since she started hanging out with us, which I'll admit, is still weird to me.

Speaking of Victoria, she's becoming nicer and stopped wearing the slutty clothing she used to. Let's just say, she's covering it all up nowadays. Its odd, yet relieving to see my sister be...my sister again. I still haven't officially hung out with her alone which is more than likely due to my protective, defensive nature considering the numerous other times that we hung out and weren't on good terms.

But something was off, though and I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

I stared at a picture of Nick and I on my cell phone for the umpteenth time wondering why this picture bothered me. In the picture, Nick was wearing the usual dark blue denim jeans, black and white converses, and a white t-shirt with a long-sleeve red, white, and black plaid shirt smiling towards the auditorium stage as I did the same in my light blue jeans, black Airwalks, and purple and grey tank top. My hair was down and parted to the left, slightly turned under at the ends.

The picture didn't capture what we were looking at, but I remembered that day. It was a few weeks ago when we were planning on how to perform our scene from The Odyssey and Mel was on stage explaining her idea of how we should perform it step by step but at the time, she was goofing off, causing both Nick and I to smile.

Victoria was with us, too, and somehow grabbed Nick's phone, somehow snapping a picture of us but by the time we'd noticed, she'd already took the picture gaining both of our attentions. After that, it led to me chasing her around the auditorium with Mel quickly helping me, but in the end, we'd laughed a good deal that evening.

I think that was the first time I actually relaxed around Vic now that I thought about it.

“What's up?” Mel asked, bringing me out of my thoughts. I tore my eyes from the photo quickly and looked at her.

She was wearing blue skinny jeans, black mid-calf boots, and a long-sleeve black blouse. Her hair was down and in curls with a black ribbon in her hair. She plopped down next to me, sitting Indian style once more.

“I don't know. I just..have this weird feeling, you know?” I got out. I didn't know how to explain it.

“Weird feeling? Like what?” she asked raising her brows in confusion.

“I've thought about how Nick has been getting closer to Victoria and it just..bothers me a little bit”, I said with certainty.

Mel turned her face away from me, staring into my closet as her face was emotionless. For the first time, I couldn't read what she was thinking.

“Nick's a nice guy, Rose. You can't think things like that. I mean, yeah, it's Vic, but you have to trust Nick to notice if he's being too nice to her”, she said after what seemed like forever.

“I do trust him. I just..don't know right now. I don't know. Maybe I'm over-thinking it”, I rambled, laughing a little in spite of myself.

“Yeah, maybe you are”, Mel agreed with a laugh and smile that didn't reach her eyes and I instantly knew something was wrong.

“What are you thinking?” I asked suddenly. She bit her lip before speaking.

“Maybe...maybe you're not over-thinking it”, she answered in a calm tone and I wrinkled my own brows in confusion.

“W-what are you saying?” I asked, feeling the alertness and anger rise in me. Mel sighed deeply before answering me.

“Look, Rose, you know you're my best friend and you know that I'll always be honest with you no matter what, so, try not to get hurt by what I say, OK?” she began, but I cut across her.

“Are you saying that something is going on between Nick and my sister?!” I exclaimed.

“I'm not saying there is and I'm not saying there isn't, but just...watch him, OK?” she warned after a few moments.

This wasn't like Mel. The Mel I knew wouldn't put these types of thoughts into my head. Mel would be optimistic and tell me that I'm over thinking it and leave things at that. Why would she say otherwise?

“And just what is that supposed to mean, Mel? That I shouldn't trust Nick?” I asked, my voice rising.

“I'm not saying that. I'm saying that you should be careful. I've seen this happen plenty of times, Rose and I-I just don't want you to get your hopes up or turn a blind eye and something happens and you're the one hurt in the end”, she replied in the same calm tone, but I saw the sadness in her eyes.

“So, that's it? I'm just supposed to put up my barriers after everything just because Nick is a little friendly towards Vic? I'm sorry, but I trust Nick and I believe he wouldn't do that to me”, I said, standing suddenly as I packed more things in to my open suitcase which lay on the floor.

I heard Mel sigh once more before she walked into the bathroom, closing the door behind her. I dropped to my knees as I felt my heart ache a little as doubt began clouding my thoughts.

Should I listen to Mel? Or should I just trust Nick and Victoria? I was so confused.



A few hours later, we were packed and ready to leave the school, but my mind just wouldn't stop clouding my judgment. I'd been in a sort of daze for the past few minutes as I thought everything over for the umpteenth time. Surprisingly, Nick hadn't called or even texted me nor I to him.

Mel hadn't said anything else since our... “discussion” and I hadn't heard from Vic, either.

A knock brought me out of my thoughts as I grabbed one of my two suitcases and headed for the door, opening it to reveal a shock to me.

Victoria and Nick were at the door with their suitcases ready to go.

“What the hell?” were the first words out of my mouth before I could stop myself as I stared incredulously at the both of them.

“I figured you'd want your sister and best friend around you for the holidays since you've grown closer now”, Nick answered slightly taken aback.

Victoria's eyes were blue as she wore a huge, white overcoat with fur around the collar and hood along with a jean skirt, black leggings, and white boots that also had fur on them. Nick was dressed in the usual dark blue denim jeans, black ankle boots, and a huge, black overcoat as well as black gloves whereas Vic had white gloves.

Three of Vic's pink suitcases were on her right as two of Nick's black suitcases were on his left.

I scoffed a little as I shot him a look, but composed myself before responding.

“It's not that I don't want to hang out with Vic, it's just I thought this was going to be an....exclusive trip”, I replied as politely as I could without exploding with anger.

“It's OK, Rose. I understand... I just-wanted to hang out with you guys this winter since we've all gotten closer and all”, Vic said in a sad tone and I saw it in her face. She turned to grab her things and was about to pull out her plane ticket when I spoke, unable to help myself.

“No, stop. It's OK. You can come”, I rambled, regret flowing through me.

“Really?!” she asked excitedly.

I stared from Nick emotionless face to Vic's happy one and back again before responding.

“Yeah”, I said after a while.

“Yes! I'm going to New Yooork!” Vic cheered before grabbing her suitcase and heading down the hall before anyone could stop her.

“That was nice of you, Rose. Honestly, I thought you'd be mad-”, Nick began, but I cut across him.

“Oh, I'm mad, alright! How could you do that to me? How could just buy her a plane ticket and tell her she could come without even asking me?!” I exclaimed, my voice rising.

“Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know I had to ask you. I thought it'd be OK since she's your sister!” he exclaimed just as angrily, his words dripping with sarcasm.

“Who's coming with us?” Mel asked in confusion.

“Freakin' Victoria!” I exclaimed, throwing my hands in the air as I grabbed my things, too.

“Wait, who?” Mel asked, looking from me to Nick and back again.

“Victoria”, Nick answered. I saw his lip twitch slightly before he answered. What was he getting upset for?

“OK, hold on, what?! Why is Victoria coming with us? Wasn't she supposed to go back to Florida for the break? I thought New York was going to be a get together for your family and close friends”, Mel said heatedly.

It surprised me to see Mel arguing with Nick for the first time. Mel and Nick never argued.

Nick bit the inside of his bottom lip before speaking.

“Come on, guys. It's just Vic. It's no big deal. She's Rose's sister for crying out loud!” Nick stressed.

“That's the problem, genius! Victoria is Rose's sister! After everything they've been through over the years, you decide to just up and invite her to come with us?” Mel asked incredulously.

Soon enough, I saw Mel's point. It was odd for Nick to want Victoria to come with us.

“Again, it's no big deal. Plus, it's too late now. Everyone's already ready to go”, he replied heatedly.

Bullshit. I thought. I knew he was just making excuses. I saw Nick biting his lip again.

I knew he wanted to say more as did Mel, but I held a hand up to the both of them as I grabbed my things.

“Let's just talk about this later”, I said in a cold tone before walking out of the door, leaving both of them speechless.

I allowed my feet to carry me to the car, surprised to see a white van being driven by Joe in the school parking lot. Vic was already there, twirling her hair in her fingers, obviously hitting on him. Jeez. Some things never change.

“Rosie!” Joe called, noticing me as he picked me up and twirling me around for a minute in a crushing hug.

“H-ey, Joe”, I got out as he put me down.

“So, Rose, you never told me Nick had a brother”, Vic said in a sly tone, eyeing him as though he were a piece of meat.

“I didn't think you'd be interested, Victoria”, I said in a stern tone, glaring at her.

Joe gave me a questioning look before diverting his attention to Nick and Mel as they approached us.

“Yo, Nick! Mel!” he got out, his breath getting caught in his throat when he said “Mel”.

“Joe, how's it going, bro?” Nick asked, hugging his brother.

“Never better. Just got some things to think about”, he answered smoothly, staring intently at Mel as she placed her suitcases in the van.

“Look, why don't we get inside? It's getting colder by the minute”, Vic said, disrupting his thoughts. I wanted to laugh, but I knew it'd be inappropriate.

“You're right”, Nick agreed quickly, causing me to raise a brow in suspicion.

“I call shotgun!” Vic called before anyone else could.

“Uh....”, Joe said uncertainly, looking from Vic to Mel and back again. Mel stared at the van, avoiding everyone's gaze and I saw sadness overcome Joe.

It quickly vanished as he flashed a fake smile, nodding to Victoria before he walked to the van, opening the door for her.

I felt bad for Joe. Mel just had no idea. No idea at all.

I placed my suitcases into the trunk of the van as Nick did the same, surprising me even more since he didn't bother asking to do it instead of me. He only waited for me to finish before closing the doors and hurt me further by sitting behind Victoria. I sat behind Joe as Mel sat all the way in the back alone.

This was going to be a long winter break.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, now Nick is starting to change and the drama begins! lol

In a good mood again since I have the rest of the week off before my summer term for college begins. :)

The next update will be on Friday, so stay tuned!

Please don't forget to comment and subscribe.