The Past is Only the Future with the Lights On

She must have amnesia or something.

"You don't have enough self-control, KC."

"You’re getting out of hand, KC."

"How could you let a boy ruin your chances at something so important, KC?"

"This is for your own good, KC."

Personally, I've started to take a disliking to my name.

And my father.

And soccer.

And Brandon.

And Monica.

I get into one fight during a soccer game I didn't even want to play in and suddenly I'm out of control. Well, you know what? Maybe I'd have some self-control if certain people (*cough* dad *cough*) actually listened to and cared about me. Instead of forcing me to play soccer after I'd just found out my boyfriend of three and a half years was cheating on me with my best friend since fourth grade (she was my best friend since 4th grade, that's not how long he'd been cheating on me. . . just to clear that up :]).

But noooo. KC's feelings don't matter. So long as father's happy, right?

Well, I made sure father wasn't happy. By getting in that one, some what bloody fight, I managed to get myself kicked off the team, only three games into the season, too. Which, in the end, turned out to be bad on my part, as well.

You see, during this time of year, mid-September, I'm on the school soccer team, or, at least, would be. And it was after that game that my loving father decided it would be best if I moved the couple of hours to live with my grandma in Belleville, home of Belleville High.

The school that currently hated my guts for getting a little bit of blood on their soccer uniforms.

Two more days until I started school, too. And starting at a new school and having enemies before even stepping foot onto the campus, is not a good thing.

But that’s okay, I guess. I already have a plan for the rest of this school year, or until my dad decides I can come "home." And that plan is:

Avoid girls' soccer team at all costs;

Only make a couple loose friends so that I'm not a total loner and that way if I do go back to my "home" in Bridgewater, it won't be as hard to say goodbye;

And, lastly, no boyfriends. Period. I don't need another boy destroying me.

"My Lord! Is that my little Kelly?" my grandma squealed in her over excited voice as she practically ran out of her cute little house to greet me in the driveway, using my actual first name.

"Hey grandma," I smiled, fighting the urge to cringe, as I stepped out of my car and, almost immediately, felt her two thin, fragile arms wrap around my short frame.

"I'm so glad you're staying with me. I've missed you so much." My grandma may have been a lonely, old lady, but right now, she was reminding me more of a teenage girl.

"How long has it been?" she asked, finally pulling away, allowing me to breathe.

Four years. Almost five. Did you forget about the funeral? "Too long," I answered with a sigh. Normally, I would have replied with some smart ass remark, but seeing as how this was my grandmother and she was kind enough to let me stay with her, I figured I should be a little nice to the woman. "I'm actually gong by KC now." In fact, I was the last time we saw each other. She must have amnesia or something.

She smiled and nodded her head, her once black hair noticeably graying since our last visit.
"Well let’s not stand out here all day. I've got the coffee pot goin', so we can just go inside and catch up for a while and then bring your things in," she offered.

How could I say no to coffee?

So here we are, two hours and several cups of coffee later. Who knew old, Italian ladies could talk so much?

"Oh, would you look at the time?" grandma said, glancing at the hummingbird clock above the sink in the kitchen. That's one thing I learned about the woman sat across from me in these last couple of hours; she has a slight obsession with birds - namely hummingbirds. "Why don’t you start bringing your things in? Before it gets dark."

It was only four o'clock in the afternoon. I really doubt the sun will be setting anytime soon, grams. Still, I rose from my seated position at the dining table, my legs and butt slightly numb from sitting so long, as I made my way to the front door.

"Oh, Kel-I mean…KC?" I spun around so I was facing her, her tiny frame reaching over the table to collect the two, dirty coffee mugs. A small smile formed on my lips, telling her she had my attention to continue.

"If you need help, I can call Linda. I'm sure her boy wouldn't mind helping you out." I didn't hesitate to answer her kind gesture.

"No, I've got it. I didn't bring much, so I can handle it. Thanks, though," I said, shooting her a thankful smile, watching her nod in the corner of my eye as I turned on my heel once more and continued on my way to my already unlocked car. Locking the car doors. That would be something new to me. In my old town, I could go pretty much anywhere and not worry about locking the doors, but this town, just by looking at it, didn't seem too safe to be leaving car doors unlocked. Or maybe I’m just a paranoid freak. I like the second one better.

Bringing my things in really didn't take too long. After all, I had only packed two boxes and three backpacks full of my belongings. Normally, I would have had much more to bring in, but seeing as how a lot of my things were from three certain people I currently - and most likely, always would - hate, I tried to leave all of those things in Bridgewater.

I had never stepped foot into this house before today, so as I brought my things in, I set them down in the entrance before I'd go back out for more.

Once I had all of my belongings inside, I finally got the tour of the house. This house was definitely larger than her last house, the one I was familiar with. The whole downstairs had pretty much the same theme, hummingbirds and flowers. Everything from the kitchen to the bathroom. Even the living room. Upstairs, however, was a different story. The master bedroom (my grandma’s bedroom) was, surprisingly, the only themed room (practically everything was an off-white and had some kind of red rose design on it). Then there were two empty bedrooms and another bathroom. My room (grandma let me choose which of the two I wanted and then told me she'd let me pick out some paint for the walls) was at the very end of the long, picture filled hallway. Privacy. Something I valued with all my heart. I as even given the upstairs bathroom for my use only, seeing as how I'd be the only one using it anyways, for even more privacy.

I think I'll do just fine here.