The Past is Only the Future with the Lights On

Nothing happened.

"So you like Mikey, huh?" I asked Dahlia once we'd made our way out of geometry.

I wasn't too sure where we were going, because I still didn't know where they ate lunch at, but I figured if I followed Dahlia, I'd soon find out.

"Huh-What?!"

"Don't try and act dumb with me," I smiled, linking my arm with hers in a friendly manner.
A body soon separated us, their arms draping over both mine and Dahlia's shoulders.
"I see how we are, Dahlia. You've got a new friend and don’t need to wait for me anymore. That's fine, I guess. I'll just find someone else. . ." Frank trailed, off looking down at his feet as he walked and pretended to sniffle.

"Shut up, Frank," Dahlia sighed in annoyance, but part of me thought she was happy for Frank showing up.

"Have you found your locker yet, Kelly?" Frank turned to me, showing me his warm smile as he ignored Dahlia's comment.

I shook my head, noticing his smile become wider.

"Great! I'll show you!" he said happily, removing his arms from our shoulders so he could grab my wrist, electric shocks of excitement being produced at his touch.
I looked back at Dahlia and gave her the best wave I could while being pulled down the hallway in the direction I remembered to be the office by Frank.

"Do you know what locker you are?" he asked, slowing his pace so he was walking next to me, but keeping his firm, yet gentle, hold on my wrist.

"Err. . .375, I think," I said, trying to recall what the top of my schedule said.

"Oh goodie! You're right next to me," he grinned as he looked at me, for some odd reason causing a whirl of butterflies to begin flapping around my stomach.

We passed a couple more classrooms before Frank stopped us, a row of burgundy painted lockers right in front of us. I read the tiny silver plates screwed onto the doors of the lockers, my eyes resting on one that read '375' just before me.

"Thanks," I said, pulling out my schedule to get my combination for the locker.

"No problem. And about the note I passed yo-" he started, referring to him making up to me for Taylor and Kendra this morning, when he was cut off by the slut herself.

"Frankie? I thought I made it clear this morning that I didn’t want you near her. Did you see what she did to Kendra?"

It was my first day here and I already wanted to shove something down this girl's throat to shut her up.

"I'm sorry, Tay. She's my friend. If you don’t want me hanging out with her, then. . .I don’t want you hanging out with Kendra," Frank argued, throwing me back with his statement.

Friend? I just met him the other day and he already thought of me as a friend?

I slowly stepped backwards, having already put my crap in my locker, turning back around once I was about ten feet away from them. I really didn’t want to be part of a fight today - or worse; the cause of a fight.

just as I was turning around to walk forwards again, I bumped heads with someone.
"Shit! Sorry," I started immediately apologizing for my lack of direction as I rubbed my already throbbing head with the palm of my hand.

"It's okay. I wasn't looking at where I was going. . ." The guy trailed off after our eyes connected.

Staring back at me with his beautiful green eyes was "Mr. Jones," his hand also rubbing his beanie covered head as a nervous laugh escaped his lips.

I quickly looked down, being the lame ass I was, and noticed he had dropped his skateboard.

"Sorry," I mumbled once more, kneeling down to pick it up.

"Its cool," he said, smiling as I handed him his board back. "Thanks."

I nodded, looking over his shoulder, only to see Mikey and Dahlia walking towards two large doors near the end of the hall.

If I hurry I might be able to catch them.

"You're the new girl in my geometry class, right?" he asked, squinting his eyes slightly at me.

Once again, I nodded. Had I lost my ability to speak or something?

"Well, I'm Skyler," he smiled, sticking out his right hand for me to shake.

"Kelly," I said, returning the smile as I shook his hand.

And at that moment, something odd happened.

Nothing happened.

When I shook Frank's hand for the first time, hell, when I first looked at him, bats would start flapping around my stomach.

But that doesn’t mean anything, right? He probably just makes me nervous when I'm around him, for some odd reason.

I shook the confusing thoughts from my head, feeling a familiar hand grasp my shoulder; the same hand that caused the nervous bats.

"Why'd you leave?" Frank asked, paying no attention to Sklyer as he turned me around so I was facing him.

"I wanted to eat," I shrugged, even convincing myself with my quickly thought up lie. Well, at least half a lie. I was hungry.

"Well it was nice to meet you, Kelly. I guess I'll see ya later," said Skyler, walking past Frank and I with a small smile.

"You were talking to Skyler?" asked Frank, curiosity lingering in his voice as we made our way down the hall and in the direction I had seen Mikey and Dahlia walking in not two minutes ago, those two large doors growing bigger with each step we took.

"Yes, why?" I glanced over at him with a small smirk on my lips.

"No reason. Just asking. You know how 'nosey' I can get," Frank joked, smirking as well.
He held open one of the doors for me, revealing an extremely large cafeteria.

Around thirty long, rectangular lunch tables were set up in rows, people sitting in various places at them and on the bleachers along the back wall according to the appropriate 'cliques.'

I guess, while allowing my eyes to explore the large building, I had stopped walking, because Frank's hand lightly grasped my wrist for the second time today and my feet began moving again.

"Hey Frank?" I asked, grabbing his attention as we weaved through tables and people. "Is everything alright with you and Taylor?"

"Of course. Why would you ask that?" he inquired.

"It's just, I seem to be getting in the way of you two or something. . ." I trailed off, his hand releasing my wrist as we stopped at a table, Mikey and Dahlia sitting across from each other at it and too engrossed in a conversation to notice our presence until we sat down next to them, Dahlia still looking a bit paranoid, but not as noticeable.

"Don't worry about it," he waved a hand at me, using his other to steal a chip from Mikey next to him.

"Well. . . Thanks for kinda sticking up for me, then," I smiled, receiving a smile and nod from Frank.