The Past is Only the Future with the Lights On

I referred to it as hell.

Physical Education. Most just called it P.E. But I referred to it as hell. The only good part about it is I have three of my new friends (actually, only friends. . .) in it with me. And because my last name started with an 'H' and, as I found out today, Frank's last name started with an 'I,' we got to stand right next to each other in the beginning of class for role call.

I'm not sure why that made me so happy. . .

Fourth period, however, I was actually looking forward to for real reasons. Although there was still a certain someone in there with me, that wasn't the reason I looked forward to it so much. He had a girlfriend anyways.

Music History. Possibly the best class ever added to the whole "school system" thing. And they even hired a fun teacher, Mr. Grimes, to educate us.

I think I finally found my reason to come to school.

As I walked through the front door of my grandma's house, having just said my good-bye's to Frank and Mikey outside, I dropped my messenger bag at the bottom of the stairs and skipped to the kitchen (yes, you read that right. I skipped. Get over it.)

Sure enough, my grandma was stood at the kitchen sink, sleeves rolled up to her boney elbows as she scrubbed her frail hands at a dirty dish.

"Hey grandma," I smiled, walking beside her and resting my elbows on the counter, noticing a plate of freshly made chocolate chip cookies in front of me.

"Hey darling. How was your first day? Did you meet Frankie?" she asked, glancing at me as my hand reached forward and grabbed a cookie on top of the pile.

"Yeah, I actually met him yesterday while I was at Exotic Java," I explained, seeing her nod out of the corner of my eye before sinking my teeth into the chewy treat. "And school was fine." I already have two enemies, but other than that, fine.

The sound of the ringing phone silenced both of us from continuing with our conversation about my new education.

"I'll get it," I said, swallowing what cookie I had in my mouth and setting the remainder of It on the counter.

I shuffled my feet across the linoleum flooring of the kitchen, stopping at the phone hung up on a wall above one of counters.

"Hello?" I said into the phone, picking it up off the receiver and placing it to my ear.

"Hey. . .Kelly?" Dahlia's familiar voice, slightly shaky, breathed into the other end.

"Hey, what's up? How'd you get my number?" I asked, hoping I wasn't sounding rude or anything as that question popped in my head and seemed to spill from my lips.

"Oh, I asked Frank for it. . .I hope you don't mind?"

"Of course not. You'd probably end up with it sooner or later anyways," I laughed, hearing a weak chuckle come from her as well. "Are you okay?"

"Uhm. . .yeah - I mean no - I mean. . . I don’t know," she sighed. "I was just thinking about what you said earlier. . ."

I immediately knew she was talking about Mikey and what I had said to her in geometry earlier.

"Yeah. . .?" I smiled into the phone, silently urging her to continue.

". . .I guess. . . I do kinda like Mikey. . ." She finally got out.

"I know," I stated simply.

"Is it really that obvious?"

"To me. But not to the guys. . .at least I don't think so. Guys are usually clueless about that kinda stuff. I'm sure they're no different," I shrugged, even though she couldn't see me.

"So what should I do? I mean, I've been keeping this to myself for a couple of years now. I didn’t want to ruin what we had, ya know? So I'm not quite sure what to do. . ." She sighed once more.

"A couple years, huh? . . . I actually think you should tell him. It’s the only way to see if he feels the same way."

"Wait - I thought you liked him, too," she pointed out, causing an amused laugh to escape my lips.

"Of course not. I just met him today, anyways. I was just trying to get it out of you that you liked him. . . I know. . . I'm a genius," I smiled, hearing her laugh.

"Thanks, Kel. I can already tell we'll get along just fine," Dahlia said before the sound of the dial tone filled my ears.