The Past is Only the Future with the Lights On

You were the girl who broke Kendra's nose!

Know each other? Of course not. I would never forget a face like that. Wait-what? What am I saying? I mean sure, he's cute and all but - just stop thinking and answer his question!

I slowly shook my head. Was that supposed to be a pick-up line or something that I just screwed up?

Damn my obliviousness.

"Sorry to bother you then," he laughed his cute chuckle once more before walking to the back counter, leaving me sitting there with a slightly faster beating heart. That's odd. Brandon's kisses never even left me feeling like that, yet, here was a guy I didn't even know the name of and was to lame to actually speak to and I was having trouble breathing.
Oddly, as I began flipping through an old magazine that was set on the coffee table in front of me, I felt as if someone was watching me again. Instead of checking to see if anyone was looking at me, I shook it off and started looking at the various pictures in the magazine.

"Are you sure we've never met before?" the guys confused and thoughtful voice asked me about a minute later as he sat down on the couch opposite me, a coffee cup in his hand as his eyes studied my face, making me a tad self-conscience.

"I'm pretty sure. I've only been here for a couple of days now," I explained, reaching forward so I could grab my drink and take another sip.

"It's just, it's not everyday you see a girl with bright purple hair," he smiled.

I ran a hand through my straight hair, looking at it as black and purple strands stuck between my fingers.

"So you don’t go to Belleville then?" he continued.

I shook my head once more. "Well, at least not until tomorrow. I did play there last weekend for a soccer game though," I explained, smiling softly as replays of the fight played in my head.

"That's it!" he exclaimed suddenly, causing me to jump in my seat slightly at his loud outburst.

"What's it?" I asked as he smiled like a lunatic at me.

"You were the girl who broke Kendra's nose!"

I swear, my eyes doubled in size as he spoke those words.

"You were there? You don’t seem like the type of guy who would go to soccer games…" I noted, waving a hand over him.

"And you don't seem like the type of girl who plays soccer," he said in a mimicking voice, his hand actions mirroring mine.

I shrugged, not wanting to get into the details of my father with a stranger.

"No actually, you're right. I didn’t want to go, but my girlfriend dragged me with her so we could watch her best friend, Kendra play," he laughed.

My face went pale at his words. He had a girlfriend. That shouldn't surprise or even bother me because, well, just look at him, but for some odd, odd reason, it did.

"Right, well, my grandma wants me home soon…" I trailed off, saying the first excuse that came to mind to get me out of here, as I rose to my feet and picked my drink up as I replaced it with the magazine.

"Wait! I-I didn’t catch your name," he said, also standing up, that same smile still on his lips.
"KC,"I said, noticing his smile drop suddenly, before reappearing a second later.

"Well it was nice to meet you KC. I’m Frank and I would just like you to know that my buddy and I admire the hell out of you for doing what you did to Kendra," he said, sticking his tattooed hand out for me to shake as a laugh escaped my lips.

"It was nice to meet you, too, Frank. And thank you," I smiled, shaking his hand, acquiring the feeling of having a million volts of electricity coursing through my body at his touch.

What the hell? This was definitely not the KC I was used to. Perhaps this was Kelly, trying to break free after all of these years of being someone she wasn’t; KC.