The Past is Only the Future with the Lights On

I don't talk to strangers.

"God dammit," I breathed out as I stumbled across my room and my foot collided with my desk chair, the only light coming from that of my ringing cell phone. I finally reached my phone, unable to read the ID through my blurred eyes.

"Hello?" I yawned into the phone.

"KC? Did I wake you?" Eew. Not the person I wanted to talk to right now - especially not in the middle of the night.

"It’s alright. What’s up, dad?" I rubbed at my eyes with the back of my hand, the blurriness leaving but the darkness remaining.

"I was just checking up on you. I forgot to call yesterday, and I also kinda forgot about the time distance. . . How are you?" In case you were wondering, my dad was on a business trip right now in some other country. Which is why I had to drive here by myself. Stupid faggot. Always found time to take off work when there was a soccer game at stake. But if it didn’t involve soccer, he couldn’t make it.

"Tired," I answered blatantly.

"Sorry, I’ll let you go back to sleep." Great, cuz it was so easy to fall asleep the first time, with worrying about school and this ‘Kendra’ chick. "Can’t wait to see you playing for Belleville." I could sense a smile in his voice before hearing the dial tone. No I love you or goodnight. Just buzzzzz.

Oh, you’d be surprised how long you can wait.

I closed my phone, checking to see that it was almost 3:30 in the morning on the outside screen of it before setting it back down on my desk.

No way was I going to be falling asleep any time soon. A walk seemed pretty inviting right about now, but that probably wouldn’t be the safest thing to do at this hour, in this city.
What was that I saw on the porch yesterday? A swing? That would do for now.

I pulled my arms through my black Green Day hoodie that just so happened to be hung over the back of my desk chair, not bothering to change out of my extremely short shorts or tank top.
Quietly opening my bedroom door, I tiptoed through the hallway, as to not wake up my grandma, and was even more careful going down the screeching stairs, finally coming across the front door. My Chuck’s were still in the entrance from when I got back from Exotic Java and just kicked them off, so I pulled those on to protect my red sock covered feet.

My pessimistic thoughts filled my head as I cautiously reached for the door knob, pulling it slowly open as my other hand fumbled for the light switch to the right and flipped the porch light on.

What if I go the rest of my high school without making any friends?
And the rest of my life is like that?

And I become the crazy old lady at the end of the block with twenty-seven cats?

Dramatic much?

I stepped out onto the wood flooring of the porch, discreetly pulling the door closed as I came up with a solution to my problems.

"I’ll get a dog, duh," I found myself saying aloud as I shuffled across the ground, the cool, night breeze gently slapping my face and bare legs, and sat on the porch swing, my legs immediately making a gentle back-and-forth movement so that the swing followed.
"But only one dog," I continued my ramble as I leaned against the back of the swing. I probably would have been able to fall asleep there if it weren't for my porch light, seeing as how all other lights, even street lights, were off. "That way I won’t become the crazy old lady at the end of the block with twenty-seven dogs." That's a little optimistic, right?

"Talking to our self, are we?" a confident, oddly familiar male voice asked, causing me to jump slightly and let out a light gasp.

I looked in the direction the voice came from, seeing a dark figure sitting on the porch swing belonging to the house on my left.

"Well I don’t talk to strangers," I spat back at the guy, ready to stand up and go back inside when his next remark stopped me.

"I'm not a stranger."