The Past is Only the Future with the Lights On

Leave it to Kelly.

Cuddled up on the living room couch next to the boy who had literally just made me the happiest girl in the world, both of us too lazy to walk up the staircase, we sat laughing at our stupidity over the past month. Honestly, why did we always act so childish when we fought? We got over them and were friends again each time. I guess we're just teenagers.

Every couple of minutes, Frank would apologize for 'being such an ass'. And I would tell him not to fret. We were only human. And us humans made mistakes.

Funny how I was thinking this way now, eh? A couple hours ago I never wanted to talk to him again, now we're practically having clothed secks on my couch.

I'd even kissed him. I suppose he really was a necessity to my happiness. It was just something I didn't easily admit.

Thinking of that kiss opened more thoughts of a previous kiss. One I'd buried from my mind for the longest time. Now felt like a good time to bring it up, though. With Frank and I talking and joking, no harm could be done.

Another funny thing is how I'm wrong a majority of the time.

"Frank?" I said, tracing the Night of the Living Dead design on his shirt with my index finger.

"Hmmm?" he mumbled, resting his cheek on top of my head.

"Uhm - why - why did you kiss me that day in the rain?"

I really did need to work on keeping my mouth shut and thoughts to myself. His arms, once securely wrapped around my body, slid limply down my side. Confused, I let go of him as well and sat back a bit so I could see his face better. His expression had almost turned mad, and I couldn't understand why.

"Just leave it to Kelly to ruin a perfect moment," he attempted to laugh, though I could still see the trouble in his eyes.

"I'm just curious. I've got the right to know, don't I?" I asked, taking his hand in mine.

He sighed, closing his eyes before looking in the opposite direction.

"I can't tell you," he finally said, his words confusing me as they rolled off his tongue.

Why was he suddenly acting all dramatic about this? It really was no big deal. We'd kissed plenty times before. I was just honestly curious to his reasoning for this kiss in particular.

By the time I'd fully registered what he'd said, and was about to continue interrogating him, he was looking at me again. "Why did you tell me you wanted me out of your life?"

So he thinks he can pull that card on me to get out of answering his own question, does he? Oh, how wrong he is.

The question still managed to catch me off guard though. How do I respond to that? 'Oh, I was just looking for a way to hurt you, and those just happened to be the words that left my mouth.' No. I don't think so.

"I was pissed, Frank. You really hurt me," I said, noticing his jaw tighten as he stared out in front of him at nothing. I wondered what was going on in his head at that moment. What was he thinking? "It was the heat of the moment, I guess."

His expression turned thoughtful for a second before he looked at me again. "That's what the kiss was, too; heat of the moment."

I couldn't tell if he was telling me the truth or not, which was odd. It was normally easy for me to read him, on account of how well I knew him. But now he'd either gotten good at bluffing, or he was just better at hiding things from me.

Either way, I would eventually find out the truth. I mean, just two seconds ago, he wouldn't tell me why he kissed me, and now, suddenly, he has an excuse?

I wasn't falling for it;just for him. But I'd find out sooner or later. I'd make sure of it.

But, while I had this boy back in my arms - quite literally too; he'd finally wrapped his arms back around me - and we were together, I was going to make the most of this time.

"I hate fighting with you, Kells. It's terrible," he mumbled into my hair.

I smiled, planting a few small, innocent kisses on his neck. "I know, but we always get through them together, so I don't think we have anything to worry about," I whispered against his skin, hearing a light moan come from the back of his throat.

This is how I loved things. It was times like this that actually made me want to get out of bed in the morning. And it was this boy that I wanted to see lying next to me when I opened my eyes.