The Past is Only the Future with the Lights On

Promises.

Pushing the large door open that had swung closed just seconds ago from Frank's exit, I was instantly met by the sight of his recognizable body, leaning casually against a row of lockers. A group of four or five freshman girls walked by at that moment, not bothering to hide the interest they found in the boy standing with his arms crossed over his red Smashing Pumpkins shirt and one of his white Etnies resting against the metal doors.

I helplessly smiled as we met each others stares and he returned the smile, oblivious to the eyes he'd caught, either that or uninterested.

I continued walking towards him, his arms immediately snaking around my waist once I was in arms reach of him and pulled me as close as possible to his body, not that I was complaining. Bringing my hands to his chest, I started playing with the strings of his black zipper hoodie, nearly forgetting that Frank brought me out here to talk to me.

"I wanted to talk to you about your birthday," he said softly, not breaking our stare as he tucked some loose strands of hair behind my ear.

"I told you, I don't want anything," I shook my head.

It seemed like every time he brought up this subject, I would just try to get out of it. I was never the type of person to make a big deal of my birthday anyways.

"Yeah, well, I didn't listen to you," he laughed.

I rested my head on his shoulder, shaking my head in a disapproving manner, all the while unable to wipe the smile off my face. I was flattered Frank found my birthday to be a major priority of his.

If one of the guys had said that, I probably would have smacked them and demanded that they brought it back. I wouldn't have felt this grateful.

"Hey," he continued to speak in that velvety smooth voice, placing one of his rough hands gently under my chin, connecting our eyes once more. "I need you to make me a couple promises."

I didn't even take the time to think about my answer. My response left my lips the second he shut his mouth, making him smile.

"Anything."

"I'm leaving right after lunch to -" I didn't allow him to finish.

"What? Why?" He put a finger on my lips, quickly silencing me.

"If you hadn't interrupted me, I would have told you," he chucked, removing his hand from my lips to rest back on my waist. "I've got some plans regarding your present to tend to," he said so professionally I couldn't help but laugh under my breath. "And then I'm going to Newark to visit my dad. But I told him how important it was that I saw you tomorrow, so I'm coming home tomorrow night."

My smile dropped. I wouldn't see him until the night of my birthday…but that's so far away! "And what exactly were these promises you wanted me to make?" I asked, disappointment clear in my voice.

He gave me a sympathetic look, his hands moving up and down my back soothingly. "Tomorrow, when D and the guys come by, try to have a good time, and don't be too much of a pain in the ass than necessary for them just because I'm not there."

As much as I wanted to disagree with him and tell him I wouldn't do that, I couldn't. It would be a lie - even I knew that. So I simply nodded.

"And another thing," he started, "don't automatically say no to your present, okay? Just…just think about it first… Will you do those two things for me?"

Despite the fact that I was thoroughly confused and wanted desperately to know what this secret present was, but knew that he'd never tell me if I asked, I smiled half-heartedly and nodded.

Of course, just then, the bell rang, bringing me back to reality. Now, instead of walking with Frankie and hanging out with him for the nest two periods, I'd have to say goodbye to him until tomorrow night.

This was quite the sucky plan, in my opinion anyways. I was positive my views on this would change once Frank gave me whatever my present was, because Frank never ceased to amaze me, it was just for the time being that I disliked this.

Brushing his hand across my cheek, his face holding some kind of pain, or like he was unsure of what to do next. So he settled for a hug, tugging me into his tight embrace, pulling away to place his lips where his fingers previously were.

"Stay strong 'til tomorrow, 'kay?" he teased with a smirk, receiving a light smack in the chest from my hand.

"And am I to assume you won't be affected at all by this?" I asked, placing my hands on my hips.

The hallway was now filled with students, mainly coming from the cafeteria.

"Are you kidding?" he asked me, surprised. "I think I might just have to cry myself to sleep tonight."

We laughed, as I felt an arm drape over my shoulders. Glancing to my left, I saw a beaming Dahlia, before turning back to Frank.

"Try to stay strong 'til tomorrow, Frankie," I said, using the same tone he'd used, this time having him stick his tongue out at me as I walked away with Mikey and Dahlia.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hiya all.
:]
No more til the end of the week.
Sorrry.
Now I'm headin off for thee Valley lol
Hope you guys are having an awesome summer.
Comment?