The Past is Only the Future with the Lights On

Like...a date?

Turning the corner onto my street, bags in hand and a new layer of confidence from my new ‘do,’ I caught a glimpse of my left hand and could no longer hold back the smile I’d contained since I left Dahlia a few blocks ago. Not only was my bracelet on that hand, along with Frank’s charms, but the ring finger now occupied my one and only tattoo - and, damn, did it hurt! A small, thin band with the words ’Always and forever’ inscribed in the middle of it.

Much more meaningful than a leprechaun.

I continued walking down the street, passing Frank’s house with a sigh, then continuing to walk up my driveway.

I had to get ready to hang out with Skyler; or ’date’ with Skyler as D was calling it. Which is why she dragged me to the mall after school to buy an outfit and get my hair down.

And I never really got around to telling Frank about tonight…

“Well, well, well. Don’t we look more beautiful than usual?” Speak of the devil. Simply the sound of his voice put a grin on my face.

I turned my head and stopped in my tracks, seeing a beaming Frank standing on his porch, his arms crossed over his chest.

“You like it?” I asked, running my fingers through the new turquoise and purple strands on my head.

“Of course,” he replied immediately, making his way towards me. “I may need sunglasses to look at you from now on, but it looks good,” he teased, a laugh escaping my lips.

Only Frank could say something like that and still manage to flatter me.

“What’s all this for?” he asked with a small chuckle, waving a hand over my bags and hair, knowing I wasn’t much of the shopping type. “You and Dahlia buy a whole new wardrobe for you?”

“No,” I laughed almost nervously. This is it. Just tell him. It’s not that big of a deal anyways. “No, D just thought I should have some new clothes when I go out with Skyler tonight.” I chewed on my bottom lip, watching Frank’s face drop, then his expression turned confused.

“You’re going out with Skyler tonight?” he asked, his eyebrows knitting together. “Like…a date?”

Why did everyone just assume that this was a date when I told them? People do hang out, too, ya know.

“No, he’s just taking me out for my birthday,” I explained. Frank’s expression softened a bit, but not completely. “It’s only a one time thing. But I’ve gotta get ready…so I’ll talk to you later, ’kay?” I said, receiving a small nod in response from Frank.

I waved to him, then continued walking to my front door, noticing that Frank was still standing there where we’d just been talking, a thoughtful, almost angered expression on his face.

“Well…you have fun then,” I faintly heard him mumble before I stepped into my house, closing the door behind me and cutting Frank from my view.
♠ ♠ ♠
Exceptionally short update.
:[
So I shall post another after this one :D
Comments would be killer!!