The Past is Only the Future with the Lights On

Pretty. Odd.

Image

This ^^^ reminds me of the characters of this. Ya know, Frank, Kelly, and Skyler :]
So I thought I'd put it here... :D Sorry its a bit blurry...


“Are you sure you can’t stay for the weekend? My grandma already said it was fine. She’s cool with it,” I told my boyfriend of nearly a month, resting my head on his shoulder and pouting as he adjusted his arms under my legs so they were more comfortable supporting me on his back.

He laughed and lightly shook his head. “I’m sorry, doll. I told you. It’s my cousin’s birthday. How about I stop by tomorrow?” He looked at me and smiled, which I simply followed with a weak smile and nod.

Skyler and I finished our walk to my house in silence, aside from his constant humming of a song I couldn’t recognize, and the scraping of his tearing Vans against the cool pavement beneath us.

Last week, my dad called my grandma, asking her to babysit Hannah for the weekend so he and Jenny could do a little last minute wedding shopping and planning, considering they decided to move the wedding to May; which was just short of three weeks away. And, naturally, my grandma agreed. Like she took me in, she would never even think about hesitating to take her soon-to-be-granddaughter in – even if it was only for a few days.

So, I decided, since she’d be staying with us for the weekend, I would invite all of my friends to stay for the weekend as well, as a chance for Hannah to meet the people I loved most. And so far, Skyler was the only one who wouldn’t be able to stay for the whole weekend. I could already tell this would be a crazy experience for the child, though.

“You wanna at least come in and hang out for a while? I know grandma would appreciate it,” I teased him, in reference to how my grandma instantly fell in love with this boy when I brought him over for dinner one night when he’d first asked me out.

He laughed and nodded his head. “I think I can manage that,” he said, walking up the steps to my porch.

Before setting me down, I kissed his cheek thankfully and then pulled him into the house. The sweet scent of baking cookies soon filled our nostrils, and we followed it into the kitchen, hand in hand. We didn’t even have time to fully make it into the doorway before I was nearly trampled over by a little girl, attacking me with a hug.

“Kelly!” Hannah exclaimed, grinning excitedly from ear to ear.

“Hannah Banana!” I said, just as enthusiastically, back to her. She giggled and it was then that I noticed that her face and clothes were covered in flour. For the first time, I looked up at my grandma, who was standing at the sink with her head turned to us, washing her hands, which also happened to have quite a bit of flour on them as well. “You and grandma been bakin’, huh?”

Her face lit up and she nodded her head eagerly. “Chocolate chip cookies!” she stated. The three of us continued into the kitchen, little Hannah finally realizing there was a boy following me; a boy she did not recognize as one of my besties I’d described to her. “Who’s this goof, Kelly?”

I practically snorted when she said this, turning to Skyler, who was pretending to be offended, and had his jaw dropped.

Wrapping my arm around his waist, I pulled him close to me. “This is my boyfriend, Skyler. Skyler, this is my soon-to-be-step sister, Hannah.” I smiled between the two of them, watching as they exchanged smiles of their own, Hannah’s clearly embarrassed.

“Don’t mind her, Skyler,” grandma pitched in, finally walking over to us. “I’m sure you’ll come to find sooner or later that she’s no worse than this one here,” she said, waving a hand over me.

Now it was my turn to pretend that I was insulted by her words. But it didn’t really bother me that they were correct in every way possible.

“So how are ya, Skyler?” grandma asked him, sitting down in the nook of our kitchen and motioning for us to follow. Obviously, we obliged to her command and all four of us sat around the small table to converse.

It was nice that my grandma approved of him and all, but she really didn’t need to talk to him all the time. But, for some reason, she absolutely loved doing such thing. So I just let them. I figured, after they exchanged a few words, she’d be done, and we could go.

Never underestimate old Italian ladies. Fifteen minutes later they’re still at it. And Skyler, being the nice guy he is, doesn’t mind it. Well, if he does, he sure is good at hiding it.
“Cookies?!” we suddenly heard, shutting the old woman up mid-sentence. We all looked up at the doorway, seeing some familiar faces shuffle in.

Unable to hide my excitement, I jumped from my chair, running over to the closest person in the room; which just so happened to be Gee, the person who had just had the sudden outburst.

“Hey guys!” I said, giving them all tight, bear hugs. It had been quite some time since I’d seen the guys, so having them here now was nice. They happily exchanged the ‘hellos’ and hugs with me, too.

Frank, Dahlia, and Mikey walked into the room not too long after the others. I noticed everyone was carrying a bag of some sort – mainly backpacks. “Oh, you guys can just drop all of your stuff off in my room if you like,” I told them. They nodded and, one by one, began making their way up the stairs to my bedroom. Frank and Mikey, who were trailing behind everyone, seeming to be in a deep – and quiet – conversation, hadn’t even looked at me once they were inside my house, which I found odd.

They didn’t want hugs?

A hand grabbed my shoulder from behind, making me instinctively turn around, my eyes connecting with a pair of emerald ones.

“You guys have a good time, okay?” Skyler said, pulling me into a hug.

“We will,” I told him with a smile, then looked over at my grandma, back by the oven with Hannah watching her every move, and whispered, “Sorry ‘bout that. She’s Italian. She can’t help how much she talks,” I joked.

He laughed and shook his head. “No worries. It doesn’t bother me.”

I smiled half-heartedly at him, thinking for the millionth time about how he was too good for me. Seriously. He was far too polite, well-mannered, sweet, and all around awesome for someone like me. He deserved better.

He leaned in and gently pecked my lips. Each time we kissed, I anticipated the tightened stomach. The electric volts. Something to show me I was over ‘you-know-who.’

But nothing ever happened. It was almost just like kissing a close friend of mine – a close friend that I didn’t have feelings for. But each time, I would just shrug it off. Thinking it was just a side effect of being wrapped around Frank’s little finger for so long. The feelings would develop. I just had to give it some time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wooooow. its been way too long.
But my interweb is still down.
and I just spent freaking like, forty minutes retyping all of this onto my sister's computer and don't really feel like spell checking it
:P
So you're all very welcome.
i was just gonna wait until I fixed my internet and finished this story completely,
but I figured whatevs.
what else do I have to do?
Other than study for my AP test tomorrow.
Lol
So here ya go.
Leave some comments?
Not sure when I'll update again...

I know there's better things out there,
But you're my everything.