Status: I'm sorry for the long hiatus. My muse was dead for so long! I'll see what I can do about continuing this story.

What Difference Will It Make?

Diagon Alley

“The more you explain it, the more I don’t understand it.” Mark Twain

Shadow Pov

It’s been three days since the ball and four days left before school begins. Guess what? Sev actually congratulated my performance. Apparently, everyone had been acting that they didn’t know what was going on, and that it was indeed a trick played by Tom. Stupid, good-for-nothing, low-life, bastard! He actually wanted to see what my temper could do to me, and before he could have a taste of what happened to Draco (not that I think any woman would do IT with him. I’d personally rather eat Amaya) Sev had gotten me out of there, and here I am, reading a book on my bed.

“Shadow!” Sev called, and my body shot up immediately. He doesn’t ask for me often unless for meals because we both prefer our space. We just had lunch a good hour ago, so what does he need?

“Yeah Sev?” I replied, utterly confused.

“Term starts in four days. You need to get all you supplies. Today we’re off to Diagon Alley. I’d get ready if I were you.” He said, clearly excited about going, and who am I to ruin his fun? He left and I quickly got dressed.

“I’m ready!” I called out as I sprinted downstairs. That man’s always ready, so it was no use waiting for him.

To my immense discomfort, we appearated out. “Sorry, but it’s the easiest and least suspicious way.” Sev apologized. It took me a moment to realize where we were, and I was utterly shocked. Why in the world would he take me to a bar?

“This way.” He said and led me inside. There were many people there. Some didn’t even notice us come in, others threw us dirty looks. Sev ignored him, so I thought might as well, but that didn’t mean we liked. When we secluded our selves from the others, I asked him why everyone had looked at us like that.

“I guess it was because I was in Slytherin or maybe the fact that I seemed interested in the Dark Arts when I was younger, but you being with me will give you a bad reputation.” He said, eyes looking a bit sad. I noticed the past tense, and considering how sincere he sounded, didn’t question.

“Come along now, we’ve got much to do.” Sev said, a smile on his face from remembering why we were here.

“Wow.” I said in a low whisper.

“Yes. Welcome to the wizarding community.” Sev said almost proudly, and I definitely couldn’t blame him. The place was absolutely amazing! My nostrils were filled with both smells delightful and bitter, as my ears with unnatural sounds, and eyes with spectacular sights. A potion supply shop here, a broom store there, a book shop near, and in the heart a castle that read Gringotts Bank.

“We’ll start at the bank. You father left you a lot of money.” I looked at him confused. Just my father, not my mother?

“Sev, what about my mother. I notice that you didn’t say parents.” I queried with my angled, medium eyebrows formed a V below my hairline.

“Stories there are many, but now its definitely not the time for them. First we shop, then we exchange our pasts. Alright?” He replied. I was hesitant, but knew it was the only chance I’d get. Might as well take it I thought as I nodded. I was so engrossed that I didn’t notice us going into the bank, and that’s saying something. It was magnificent with its crystal chandeliers and golden lined walls. The strangest thing would’ve have been, no competition, the creatures that worked there.

“They’re goblins and very protective of their treasures. Humans do work for Gringotts but not in the vaults.” He whispered quietly into my ear.

“Do you have a key?” A voice from above startled me, but Sev didn’t seem the least disturbed and held out a key.

“Very well.” The same gravelly voice said and led us to something that looked a lot like a mineshaft. There was one of those mine cars and Sev sat in it as I followed suit. The goblin, without any warning, bucked the cart forward and we plummeted into what seemed to be a roller coaster ride. I thought I was going to be sick, considering the fact that I’m dangerously afraid of heights, but Sev didn’t seem distraught, unless you don’t count the fact that his face had gone a bit pale and his lip were clamped together.

Finally, we came to a halt in front of a vault that had the numbers 746 on them. The goblin drew put the key in a slot and drew his nail along the length of the door as Sev bowed his head down to whisper in my ear.

“Never try that for yourself. Humans will be sucked in and they only check every ten or so years.” His voice seemed a bit shaky, and I supposed it must’ve been from the ride. I shuddered. Imagined living in there for ten years! No food, no water. I expect they only found the bones and remains.

Inside were coins stacked up. More money than I’d ever seen in my entire life! I looked at Sev in confusion. When he said that my father left me money, I never imagined this much! He simply smiled, pulled out a bag and filled it with gold, silver, and copper coins.

The ride back was silent, mostly because we were trying not to throw up, and when we got out we didn’t speak until we’d left Gringotts.

“Since it’s you bank account you’ll need the keys,” He put the keys in my hand and I put it in my pocket, “and you’ll need to know how much is which. The copper ones are called Knuts, the silver ones Sickles, and the gold ones Galleons. It takes 29 Knuts to make a Sickle, 493 to make a Galleon, and 17 Sickles to make a Galleon. You got that?” He said, deliberately slow to help me process everything. It wasn’t that hard when you got it into your mind, and off we went.