Status: I'm sorry for the long hiatus. My muse was dead for so long! I'll see what I can do about continuing this story.

What Difference Will It Make?

Grif, No Wait Slytherin!

“Some people are so afraid to die that they never begin to live.” Henry Van Dyke

I pushed the thought of being in front of so many people and regained my calm. Well, it lasted long enough.

I nearly had a heart attack and Luna gasped behind me as about a good twenty pearly and partially see-through ghosts fell in through the back wall. A fat and short monk was saying: “Forgive and forget, I say, we ought to give him a second chance-”

“My dear Friar, haven’t we given Peeves all the chances he deserves? He gives us all a bad name and you know, he’s not really even a ghost- I say, what are you doing here?” One of the ghosts who was wearing a pair of rather gay tights asked as he finally noticed us. Of course, nobody answered him.

“New students!” said the Friar, smiling around at them. “About to be sorted, I suppose?” Luna and I were two of the few who were brave enough to nod.

“Hope to see you in Hufflepuff!” He said, “My old house, you know.” He definitely seemed pleasant enough to be in Hufflepuff.

“Move along now,” McGonagall said sharply, coming in, “The Sorting Ceremony’s about to start.” As she said this, the ghosts slowly went out.

“Now form a line and follow me.” She instructed.

We passed through another pair of double doors and entered the Great Hall. I held in a gasp as I took in the arrangement of thousands upon thousands of candles floating in midair, the four immensely long tables, the enchanted sky, and the table for the teachers. There, I saw Sev, or as I was to call him now, Professor Snape.

Suddenly, everyone started to watch the hat and I widened my eyes as it began to sing.

“Oh, you may not think I’m pretty,
But don’t judge on what you see,
I’ll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.
You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I’m the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I cap them all.
There’s nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can’t see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindorr,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve and chivalry
Set Gryffindorrs apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
and unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you’ve got a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You’ll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don’t be afraid!
And don’t get in a flap!
You’re in safe hands (though I have none)
For I’m a Thinking Cap!"


The entire hall applauded as the hat finished it’s song. It bowed to each of the four tables and became silent and still yet again. Yes! We just have to try on the hat, nothing more.

Professor McGonagall came up with a scroll of parchment in her hand, and spoke, “When I call your name you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted. Abbott, Hannah!” She called up the blonde pigtailed girl who Luna, Justin, and I had sat with. Hannah put the hat on and it fell on her eyes with a pause.

“Hufflepuff!” The hat bellowed. I heard some go into each and after a rather unpleasant girl named Millicent Bulstrode got into Slytherin, She called my name, or rather, my fake name.

“De liana, Shadow!” She called as I quickly and quietly walked up the stairs, onto the stool, and put on the hat.

‘Ah, a Potter. Don’t worry dear, this is all in your thoughts. You may just be the most difficult one in all my years. You are as intelligent as perhaps Ravenclaw herself! Nicer than most I see; brave when you want to be, and along with that sly and cunning. Where to put you, where to put you. Ohh, I’ve got it!’

“Grif - No wait....” The sorting hat said and every single person in the hall gasped. I was confused, it wanted to put me in Grifffindorr, so why didn’t it?

‘I sense your confusion. You don’t want Slytherin, but I will tell you now, that we all need you there. I’m sorry.’ At this, my eyes widened. Oh no....

“.....Slytherin!” He yelled, and before I pulled off the hat, I heard another soft sorry, and masked the emotions on my face as I strolled onto the Slytherin table. They made a bit more than a little room for me and the eldest man at the head of the table started an applause to end the tension and everyone joined in. Sev looked as confused as the rest, but spared a small smile in my direction. Why did this have to be so complicated?
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm mostly making fillers until I get to more exciting parts of the story. i know everything that's going to happen in the story but the trouble is writing the chapters down.