Status: I'm sorry for the long hiatus. My muse was dead for so long! I'll see what I can do about continuing this story.

What Difference Will It Make?

Unrested Sleep

“Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.” Dion Boucicault

Shadow POV

I sat there, waiting for the people I know to go up. I smiled reassuringly at Neville and he nervously mimicked me. Putting the hat on, I could tell that he was scared shitless. Just then, the hat yelled Gryffindorr. I smiled again and chuckled softly when he left the stool with the hat and blushed a bright red.

Soon after came Luna. I was curious to see what she’d get into. The hat marveled over her thoughts and finally yelled, “Ravenclaw!” I clapped, much to the disappointment of many Slytherins.

After quite a few others came the one I had unconsciously been waiting for. “Potter, Harry!” Called out Professor McGonagall and I heard many mummers about him, but my attention was set on him. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Sev give me a sad smile, but I barely noticed it. The hat speculated nearly as long as it had for me on Harry, and finally, it came to a decision. Gryffindorr! It cried and I was the only Slytherin clapping along with the rest of the school. Many more came like Harry’s friend, Ron Weasely.

Then, the old man I now recognized as Albus Dumbledore, got up and beamed at the crowd of students. He seemed rather pleased and joyful about all of us.

“Welcome,” He began, “ Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

“Thank You!” I clapped. Honestly, if people could get behind that mind of his, they’d see that he was a genius. Oh, I might’ve also forgotten to mention that if I wanted to, I could enter a person’s past. Not completely, but enough. He is absolutely amazing,

Suddenly, food appeared. I hadn’t seen this much food even on Thanksgiving at the center! I took some chicken, potatoes, carrots, and a peppermint humbug for the end.

From across the room, I saw the ghost, Nearly Headless Nick, or Sir Nicolas as he liked to be called, talk to Harry. I smiled and continued eating when another ghost appeared next to me whom I recognized as the Bloody Baron.

“Good evening miss.” He spoke to me. He seemed friendly enough.

“Good evening Baron. You enjoying the ceremony?” I asked?

“My dear, this ceremony never gets old. You like peppermint humbugs?” He asked, looking at my plate.

“I only eat them in the end. Suck on them really since I have no intention of breaking my teeth.” I replied while he had an amused expression on his face.

“Very well little dear. If you need anything you can always talk to me. Good bye.” He seemed nice. After we were all done eating, dessert appeared and I chose a chocolate éclair as they have always been my favorite and watched the hall.

Then, I had a sudden pain in my forehead, and looking at Harry I decided it was because of his mark. He was looking at Sev. I was confused. Sev wouldn’t cause that. I could sense it.

Finally, the desserts disappeared as well and the hall became silent.

“Ahem- just a few more words now that we are all fed and watered. I have a few start-of-term notices to give you.

“First years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. And a few of our older students would do well to remember that as well.” His eyes sparkled in the direction of a pair of twins who I supposed didn’t follow the rules often.

“I have also been asked by Mr.Filch, the caretaker, to remind you that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors.” Too many loopholes.

“Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of the term. Anyone interested in playing for their House teams should contact Madam Hooch.” What in the world is Quidditch?

“And finally, I must tell you that this year, the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a very painful death.” Harry laughed and was one of the very few who did. I didn’t because I saw the dangers in there, but not what they were guarding.

“And now, before we go to bed, let us sing the school song!” He cried out. Sev was wearing a rather strained smile at this and I forced myself not to laugh out loud.

Dumbledore flicked his wand and a ribbon slithered out of it holding the words of the hymn.

“Everybody pick their favorite tunes and off we go!” Dumbledore said, smiling.

I picked a soft tune that wasn’t too fast or slow, but rolled off my tongue perfectly. It went:

“Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling
With some interesting stuff,
For now they’re bare and full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff,
So teach us things worth knowing,
Bring back what we’ve forgot,
Just do your best, we’ll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot.”


I must say that it was a rather strange song as the twins ended last with an incredibly slow funeral march. When we were finished, he clapped the loudest.

“Ah, music,” He began, wiping his eyes, “A magic beyond all we do here! And now, bedtime. Off you trot!”

I followed the rather rude Slytherin prefect, Mowsley, to the dungeons. There, a password was asked by a rather ghoulish man.

“Pure-blood.” Replied Mowsley and I made sure to remember that.

He pointed us to the correct dorms and I stayed awake and followed Harry’s dreams. He wore Professor Quirrell’s turban that kept talking to him and telling him to transfer into Slytherin. He told it that he didn’t want to be in Slytherin and it got much too heavy. He tried to pull it off, but there was Malfoy laughing and then he turned into an evil looking Sev and there was a burst of green light.

Since I saw nothing, I supposed that he had woken up, and slowly, I went into a deep nightmare in which I couldn’t wake up from. I dreamt about Professor Quirrell killing Harry, fighting for a red stone, in front of a strange mirror, in a peculiar chamber..
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry that there are only fillers right now. I promise it get better. I'm pretty sure the next one is going to be split up in two since I don't wan't to make it too long, but I'll post them on the same day since it's the same chapter really.
Oh yeah, a question answered in comments. Which story should I pay the most attention on? I'm going to finish Demon Twins soon anyways, so that one's out of the question. I think if i focus on a specific story, It'll be done quicker. Witch's Brew (which is most likely to have quicker updates) or What Difference Will it Make which may be slower, but I have everything planned out so it should be quicker than usual.
I won't make any updates on anything other than Demon Twins until it's decided