Status: I'm sorry for the long hiatus. My muse was dead for so long! I'll see what I can do about continuing this story.

What Difference Will It Make?

Let’s Skip to the Middle part 1/2

“No one keeps a secret so well as a child”- Victor Hugo

Shadow Potter POV

Mud gushed under my clothed feet as I walked in the forest searching for Amaya. Allow me to introduce myself. The name’s Shadow Potter at age ten, soon to be eleven and my only friend and pet snake is Amaya. I’ve had thoughts to fled the wretched orphanage, but know better than to for I would never survive. Oh yes, to understand this prospect, I’ll add in another strange thing; I can speak to snakes.

Now returning to the story. I stopped in the usual clearing and looked down, left, right, forward, behind myself and finally, knowing Amaya’s strange habit, looked up. There, I found her hanging from a branch, snickering. Mind you, she’s not like other snakes. The most intelligent Black Mamba you’ll ever know (if you ever get the courage to get close to one) and the only one that understands English. Yes, she understands English. The only problem is that you can’t hear her reply if you can’t speak to snakes like me and it’s quite amusing to hear her comments on people.

“Miss me master?” She asked, keeping up a sneer. She also has a tendency to call me master after... no wait, that’s another story.

“How many times have I told you not to call me master! It offends this friendship.” I called out to her, telling the truth and only the truth, for I’m not much good when it comes to lying unless it’s absolutely necessary.

“My most humble apologies Shadow,” Amaya said sarcastically as I rolled my eyes. “But I love to play around. Then again, I am strangely covered with big violet spots today and feel very weak.” She croaked. Oh no! I completely forgot. When I saved Amaya it created a special bond in which we are mortally connected. I call her my heart, but not my soul. You’ll find out why soon. I am roughly beaten every other night for disobeying the smallest rule for I go to an orphanage with a military sergeant, but it’s nowhere near as bad as that boy gets it. Oops, I wasn’t supposed to say that. I’ll keep the whole story for later, but for now, let’s stick to the topic.

“Dear Amaya, this is my fault! I should’ve payed more attention to the rules so that you would not be injured!” I cried out, feeling sorely guilty and at fault.

“You broke the rules to see me, and I do not object, but next time, try and feign sleep. My back is killing me!” She said as I giggled.

“But snakes don’t have proper backs.” I said, giggling uncontrollably now.


“Silence!” She yelled as I shut my mouth immediately at her wrath. Rule number one: never disobey a snake who’s venom will kill you without an antidote known to man. “You know what I mean Shadow. Now go back. It may not be too late to save more to my poor back.” And like a true military soldier, I saluted her, sidestepped without a curve, and marched over to the orphanage which looks closer to a juvenile detention center.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

After miles of walking, I sneaked up the window and down the stairs hoping for something to eat. Then again, my luck is dreadful!

“Hello Shadow. Have a nice nap?” a voice dangerously familiar voice questions me. Gulp. I took a deep breath and turned to the other side of the kitchen to see none other than Sergeant Millers and pallid, greasy, raven black haired man with a rather thin and long nose dressed in all black.

“‘Ello sir. Nice to see you. I had a lovely nap thank you for asking. I was just searching for a snack for all that sleeping had hungered me.” I was really pushing it. I hadn’t had breakfast or lunch and it was five o’clock in the evening.

“You can always fill your stomach later,” Gah! If I wait any longer I’ll be reduced to eating myself. I’ve gone a while without eating, but beatings and ridiculously long walks tend to tire you, “but right now I wish for you to meet a visitor of yours. You two have an hour together, is that understood?” The mysterious man and I nodded in unison. “Good then. I will be in my office if you need my assistance.” And off he went. You know, he always tells people that he will be in his office if we need any help, but he never is. I wonder....

“Hello Shadow. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Severus Snape. I know you have many more questions, but this is a rather long story and I prefer you sit down.” I was confused, careful, yet rather curious. I decided that I’ll take my chances and see why and what this man has to say.

“Well Shadow, if I said that I was a friend of James’, that is to say your father’s, I would be lying. I was, infact, one his most hated people for my friend for my close friendship to Lily, your mother. So you can see that it had quite shocked me when he told me that I was your godfather.” I stared at him in shock. He is my godfather. I had so many questions bubbling in my head. If he were my godfather, why was I at an orphanage? What does he know about my parents? Why would my father make him my godfather? It just didn’t make any sense. Before I could ask him any of these questions though, he raised a hand to stop me as I opened my mouth.

I know that you have many questions Shadow, but maybe this should answer some of them. The day your father made me your godfather, he was in tears. At first, I thought it a trick, but then, seeing him letting his guard down like this as he never had before, I listened. He told me about Lily having a breech. How his daughter, that is to say you, wouldn’t have been able to survive because Lily had given birth to twins, yes twins.” He confirmed and continued seeing my expression. “To continue, I must first give you this note. Please do not run away. I have no intention to harm you.” This came as a great shock to me. Why would he harm me? I let him go on and he handed me a letter. Curious, I turned it over to break open the seal and did just that. I got out a letter with an extra note which i decided to leave for later and read the first one.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL
of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock
Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Miss. Potter,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.
Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.
Yours Sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall


Minerva Mcgonagall
Deputy Headmistress
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you very much for the comments! I'm going to keep one chapter per comment unless something changes which means part one and two wont be far apart. Thank you yet again.