Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

fiveteen

I had no idea where I was going, but I knew that if I stuck around for the guys to leave it would be awkward. "Why do I always run?" I yelled looking up at the sky with my arms out. It would have been the perfect movie scene if it had started raining.

I continued to walk in the direction that Kris and I had come from when we went to Max's. I hoped that this would lead me somewhere familiar.

I couldn't help but think about what had happened back at Max's. I was really embarrassed by my outburst, but I knew it was something that would have happened eventually. Part of me wanted to go back and apologize, while another part of me wanted to find a hotel and spend the night.

Around an hour later, I decided to head back to Max's and apologize for my outburst and for leaving.

When I got to the front door, I knocked lightly. I almost hoped that Max had gone to bed and wouldn't answer the door.

Suddenly the porch light came on and the door opened to reveal Max. He had a scared expression on his face, but when he saw it was me he smiled and pulled me into a hug.

"Brylyn, where have you been?" Max asked pulling away from me. "We've been worried."

"Are they still here?" I asked quietly.

"No," Max said shaking his head. "Staalsy, Tanger and TK went to Tanger's to see if you were there and Marc had to go back to the hotel. He really didn't want to. He feels really bad."

"Oh," I said with a nod. Then I looked at my feet. "Do you think I could crash on your couch for the night?"

"Of course," Max nodded before stepping aside to let me into the house. "But you can stay in the guest room. It's the second door on the right down the hall. Just go and get comfortable or whatever. I'm going to call the guys and not to worry about you."

"Thanks, Max," I said before walking to the room he told me to go to. The only thing in the room was a bed, but I didn't mind. I went to the bathroom to wash my face before I headed to bed.

I heard Max telling who ever was on the other end that I was fine and that I was crashing there for the night.

I quickly washed my face and made my way to the guest room. I crawled into the bed and laid there hoping I would fall asleep. Almost three hours later, I got up because I couldn't sleep and made my way to the living room, where I found Max sitting watching TV.

"What are you doing up still?" I asked.

"I could ask you the same thing," Max said. "I couldn't sleep. "

"Me either," I said sitting down beside him. "Look, Max, I'm really sorry about early. You guys really didn't need to hear that."

"Brylyn," Max said tearing his off the TV and looking at me with a sincere look. "It's fine, really. No-one is mad at you, if that's what you think. Kris explained everything about the prank to Marc, Jordan and TK. They thought it was kind of funny. He also said to give you time before you go spilling your guts. He really cares about you, Brylyn."

"I know," I smiled. "I care about him too, but now that I've had time to think, I don't think Kris and I could ever be in a real relationship. It was awkward when we kissed, at least for me." I looked at Max to see him smiling. "What?"

"He said the same thing," Max said. "He thought the kiss was awkward and said that the two of you should stay friends."

I laughed a bit. "He's practically my best friend. He knows a lot more about me than anyone else in my life, including my parents. My parents didn't even know I lived in North Carolina."

"That's too bad," Max said leaning back against the couch. "I have a feeling you are a wonderful person to get to know."

"Not really," I replied with a shake of my head. "My past is full of drama that no-one wants to hear about."

"I'd like to hear it," Max said. "I've got time, that is if you feel like sharing. I'm not going to make you."

"For some reason I feel like sharing," I looked at him. "Where to start?"

"How about at the beginning," Max offered. "Tell me about where you grew up and then just go from there."

I nodded before launching into the long story about my life. I told him eveything I told Kris, plus a little bit about my high school years. I also told him about how my family doesn't stay intouch, but the number never changes so I can always call if I need something. I told him about how this past Christmas was my first family type Christmas in five years. I told him about my last birthday celebration, it was when I turned 16. I told him about everything.

For some reason I felt safe around Max. I felt like he needed to know everything about me. I also had a feeling that he didn't really care what my life was like, he just wanted to know more about me.

By the time my story was finished, I was exhausted. Max had a few nice comments about what I had told him.

After his comments, we sat there in a comfortable silence, watching whatever was on the TV. I leaned my head against Max's shoulder, and since he didn't argue, I kept it there. I felt my eyes get heavy and before I knew it I had fallen into a deep sleep.