Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

two

The game was great. Unfortunitely Carolina lost, but there is always next time, seeing as it was just the start of the season.

Nicola talked about the game the whole way back to her place, but once we got in the door she looked at me. "What brings you to Raleigh?" sh asked.

"I've been living in Charlotte for a couple years now." I started. "I was taking some culinary program at one of the universities. My boyfriend lived here in Raleigh. So I've been driving back and forth to visit him. Today I came to surprise him because I got off work early. I found him in bed with some blonde girl. So I freaked and left."

"Oh I'm sorry," she said.

"Don't worry about it," I shook my head. "A couple days earlier he beat me because I wouldn't sleep with him."

She just nodded. "So culinary arts?"

I chuckled, "yea, I've been wanting to get into a program to take culinary arts or culinary management or something like that. Turns out the program I was taking was not what I was expecting. I had to combine it with a science degree or something."

"You know," Nicola said, "there is a good program in Pittsburgh and there is a good one in New York, too."

"Really?" I asked. "How do you know?"

"I have friends who went into culinary arts."

"Hmm," I sat on her couch thinking. "I don't think I have enough money to rent and apartment and pay for school, otherwise I would go to New York."

"Why New York?" Nicola asked curiously.

"When I was looking into culinary programs, I found a good one in New York," I replied. "The only problem was paying for school and rent. I couldn't do it then and I still can't do it now."

Nicola nodded and grabbed her phone. She dialed a number. "Hey Cam," she said to the phone. "Does Eric have a brother that live in New York?"

I looked at her. I was curious what she was thinking.

"Great," she said. "My cousin, Brylyn, wants to go to culinary school there but can't afford rent and school. I just wanted to know if maybe his brother knew where she could find a good place for cheap."

There was murmuring from the phone.

"Lovely," she screeched. "I'll give him a call in a bit. Thanks Cam. Oh, by the way good game tonight. Better luck next time." She let Cam reply before hanging up the phone.

"Who's Cam?" I asked.

"Cam," she said looking at me, "is Cam Ward. You know, from the Hurricanes. We were friends in Saskatoon."

"Oh," I replied, "that's why his name sounded familiar. So Eric plays for the Hurricanes too?"

She laughed, "yes he does. And one of his brothers live in New York."

I just nodded.

"They are Staals," she said as if it would make sense to me.

I gave her a confused look, "Staals?"

"You don't follow hockey do you?" she asked.

I shook my head, "not much anymore. I used to watch it a lot, then I chose to go to school and didn't have time to watch it."

"Ok," she said, turning around and heading towards the kitchen. "I've got a phone call to make. You can make yourself comfortable. I wish I had an extra room, but I don't so hopefully the couch is ok."

I nodded and thanked her before she headed to the kitchen.