Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

twenty-five

Max pulled into an empty parking lot and parked his car. "We're here," he smiled.

"Is it even open?" I asked.

"It sure is," Max replied leading me to the front door. He held the door open for me and then followed my inside. The small cafe was filled with small, round table that were black. Each table had two red, plastic chairs pushed underneath. There were some tall bar stools against one side of the counter. "Not many people know about this place."

"I see," I nodded as I looked at the menu.

"Coffee?" Max asked.

"No," I shook my head. "Apple cider. Coffee will make me wacky and I want to sleep tonight."

"Coffee and an apple cider," Max smiled to the very tired looking waitress.

She nodded and told us our total. I handed her some cash, before Max could. She turned and started making our orders.

"So how was work?" Max asked, turning to me.

"It was good," I said. "I large group came in today, which made it even more fun."

"Really?" Max said. I could tell he was trying to keep from smiling.

"It was you guys, wasn't it?" My eyes got wide. "You guys put your name under Catary."

"You got us," Max laughed. "The food was delicious, by the way. Best meal I've had since you made those omelets for us."

"Thanks," I smiled and took my apple cider from the waitress. "And thank-you, Max."

We sat and talked for about an hour and a half before I realized the time. "Max, I should get home," I said to him.

"Ok," Max said. We got up and made our way to his car.

Once we were inside, I leaned my head against the window. "You know, I should have called Jord, he lives in my building," I verbalized my thoughts.

"Did you not hanging out with me?" Max asked. His voice had a hurt tone to it.

"What?" I looked over at him. "Are you crazy? I love hanging out with you. I just feel bad putting you through the trouble of driving me all the way from work to my place. It's way out of your way."

"Don't worry about it," Max said, his voice sincere.

"I can't help it," I sighed. "I just feel bad. I mean you have to go to my place and then turn around to go home."

"If it's really going to bother you, you can stay in my guest room tonight," Max offered.

"I'd be in the way," I shook my head.

"Of course you wouldn't," Max argued. "Besides, then I can drive you back to your car and we can figure out why it wouldn't start."

"I don't know, Max," I sighed.

"Please, Brylyn?" He glanced at me.

I knew I would give in eventually so I nodded my head. "Ok," I muttered.

Max smiled the rest of the way to his place. When we got there, I went straight to the bathroom to wash my face. Then I went to the living room, where I found Max. I sat down beside him. "Don't you have training camp or practice or something tomorrow morning?" I asked.

"Nope," Max shook his head. "It's tomorrow night at six."

"Oh," I said looking at the TV. Max was watching some movie I didn't really recognize.

"Are you going to sleep in that?" Max asked, a few minutes later.

I looked at what I was wearing. I had on a pair of jean shorts and a black tee-shirt. I shrugged. "It's not like I have a choice."

"You can borrow something," Max offered. "If you want I can grab you a pair of sweats or shorts or something."

"Really?" I looked at him to see if he was serious. "That would be great."

"No problem," Max said before getting up and making his way to his room. He came back out a few minutes later with a pair of blue shorts. He handed them to me and I went to the guest room to change.

The shorts were a little big, but I didn't care. I walked back out to the living room, but Max wasn't there anymore. The TV was still on so I sat down and started watching whatever movie was on.

"Want to watch a movie?" Max asked walking back into the room.

"This is a movie," I stated with a smirk.

"Ha ha," Max said. "Want to watch a different movie?"

"Sure," I shrugged. "I'll probably fall asleep half way through it."

"That's fine." Max picked out a movie and put it in the DVD player. Then he joined me on the couch. "I hope you like horror movies."

"They don't scare me," I told him. "But I don't mind them."

"Right," Max said. He sounded like he didn't believe me.

"Believe what you want," I shrugged as the movie started.

"I will," Max stated. "Now, shh, the movie is starting."

I chuckled a little while shaking my head. I suddenly felt very sleepy and fell asleep before the opening credits were done.