Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

twenty-seven

I spent the day hanging out with Max, since my car decided not to run. We got it towed and the mechanic said it would be a few days before it was fixed.

"This is going to cost me a fortune," I complained as Max drove. "Turn right here. What am I going to do? I don't have the kind of money to pay for my car to get fixed."

"What if-" Max started.

"No," I said. "Turn left. You are not paying for my car."

"How did you know I was going to say that?" Max asked, glancing at me.

"Everyone offers to pay for me," I stated. "Turn left here and park in front of the third building. I'm not a charity case, I don't need people to pay for me."

"Sorry," Max muttered while parking his car. "I was just-"

"Trying to help," I interrupted again. "I know. I appreciate it too, but I need to learn to fend for myself." I got out of the car, with Max following me. I walked into Dozen Bake Shop.

"Look," Max said as we walked in. He stopped, suddenly, and looked around. "What is this place?"

"It's a cafe," I told him. "Go sit down, I'll order."

"Here," Max said handing me cash before going to a booth in the back.

I walked up to the till and ordered two bran muffins, a chocolate chip muffin and a waffle casserole. I paid for our food before making my way to the table where Max was waiting. "It'll be here soon," I said as I sat down across from him.

"Ok," Max nodded. "Look, I just want you to be able to make some money before you have to spend it. I don't want to see you go broke."

"Thanks, Max," I smiled. "But I'm not letting you pay for my car."

"Let's make a deal," Max smirked. "How about if you complain ten more times about how much it will cost, then I get to pay?"

"Deal," I smiled. I knew I would probably lose, but I was going to try hard not to. "It just includes today right?"

"No," Max shook his head. "It goes right up until the car is fixed."

"Ok," I said as our food came. "Thanks," I smiled at the waitress.

"Wow this looks great," Max said.

"It is great," I said. "This is for you," I told him while pushing the waffle casserole and the chocolate chip muffin towards him.

"But you only have those two muffins," Max complained.

"I'm not a growing hockey player," I said. "Besides, I love bran muffins."

We ate and talked until two because that is when the store closed.

"Now what?" I asked.

"I don't know," Max replied. "I have to be at the rink around 5:30, so whatever you want to do to waste time until then is fine with me."

I raised an eyebrow. "You like shopping?" I asked.

"Not really," Max answered. "But we can go. Maybe we can find you a super cute outfit for tonight."

"Maybe," I said as my phone went off. "Hello?" I said into it.

"Hey Bry," I heard Kris say. "What are you up to?"

"Uh, Max and I are going to try to find me something to wear tonight," I told him.

"Oh, you and Max," Kris's voice sounded girlie and I could hear Jordan laughing in the background. "Are you having fun hanging out with Max?"

"Yes," I said. I was starting to get confused. "Why did you call?"

"To tell you about why you have a reason to party," Kris replied.

"Uh, ok," I frowned a bit, still confused.

"But first tell me what is up with you and Max," Kris said.

"There is nothing going on," I said. I saw Max give me a funny look. "Why would you think that?"

"Oh, no reason," Kris told me. "I mean you spent the night at his house and now you're going shopping. I just figured something was going on."

"Nope, nothing," I shook my head ever though he couldn't see.

"Well now that that is cleared up, let me tell you why you should party tonight." I could tell he was smiling. "A little birdie told me that Mr Talbot has a thing for you. And I know you have a thing for him back. So I'm thinking, we make him jealous."

I started laughing. "No way. One, there is no proof for what the birdie told you. Two, you are wrong, I do not have a thing for him. Three, I will not participate in your plan."

Max looked at me as he parked his car. His face had a look of shock and confusion. "Give me your phone," he hissed.

I handed him my phone. I frowned a bit.

"What did you tell her?" Max asked. He waited a few seconds before talking again. "How dare you tell her that." He sounded like he was going to kill. "Tanger just leave it alone, you heard what she said. she listed it as number two."

I sat there very confused. I wondered if Kris had told him the same thing he told me. I didn't know whether to get out of the car and go shopping or wait there until Max was done on my phone.

"Whatever," Max mumbled before hanging up and handing me my phone back.

"You ok?" I asked as we got out of the car and made our way to the stores.

"How about we talk about it later," Max suggested.

I nodded and followed him into a store.