Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

thirty-one

After that awkward moment with Max and Kris, I decided I should probably head home. When I got home, I decided to change into my bathing suit and sit out on my balcony, since it was beautiful out. I brought my iPod and phone with me and sat against the wall, since I didn't have a chair. I put my earphones in my ears and turned on my iPod. 'I Can't Fight This Feeling' by Chicago came through my earphones. I sighed and shook my head as the words started describing how I felt about Max. I didn't like to admit it, but I was definitely falling for Max.

I was listening to the lyrics, when my phone started vibrating. Quickly pausing the song, I looked at the caller id. "Hello, Max," I said into my phone.

"Uh, hey," Max replied. "I was thinking, maybe we could get some lunch, you know, together."

"Sure," I smiled.

"Great," Max said. "It's a date, I mean only if you want it to be."

"It's a date," I confirmed.

"I'll pick you up in ten minutes," Max told me. "Is that ok? If you're busy, I can make it half an hour."

"No, no," I shook my head. "Ten minutes is fine."

"See you soon," Max said.

"Later," I said, hanging up my phone. I picked up my iPod and made my way to my room to put some clothes on. I grabbed a pair of yellow jean Bermuda shorts and a grey v-neck. I left my bathing suit on underneath my clothes. I already had my hair in a ponytail, so I left it like that. I quickly grabbed my id, some cash, my phone and my iPod. I heard someone knock on the door and went to answer it, expecting Max.

Instead of Max standing on the other side of the door, I found Jordan looking at me. His face looked pained, but serious.

"Can I talk to you?" He asked, looking at me with pleading eyes.

"Um, sure," I replied. "Just let me call Max." I let him into the apartment before grabbing my phone. "Max?" I said once Max said hello.

"Yes?" Max said.

"Have you left?" I asked.

"I was just about to, why?" Max sounded like he was frowning.

"It's nothing serious, but do you think you could come in about half an hour instead?" I asked. "Jordan showed up at my door, he looks like shit."

"Hey," Jordan glared at me.

I shrugged. "Anyways, he wants to talk. Is that ok? It's totally fine if it's not. I can always stop by his place later."

"No, that's fine," Max replied. "I have to go fill my car with gas anyways. I'll be there in about half an hour then."

"Thanks so much, Max," I smiled. "I'll see you in a bit."

"See you," Max said before I hung up my phone. I turned to Jordan. "You ok?" I knew it was a stupid question, but I hoped it would help get him talking.

"Apparently, I look like shit, so I'm going to assume you know I'm not ok," Jordan replied, a small smirk came to his lips, but quickly disappeared.

"Jord, what's wrong? You weren't in a great mood last night," I said. I was starting to get concerned.

"It's really stupid," Jordan sighed.

"Tell me," I demanded. "I have things I want to do today, so please tell me."

"Fine," Jordan looked at me with anger in his eyes. "I was talking to Max and Tanger yesterday at practice. I mean, I've been curious since the day we met, but I found it rude to ask. Then I found out that you just told them. I thought we were friends, Brylyn."

I was totally confused. "We are friend, Jord. I'm really confused, what are we talking about?"

"I bet you even told Marc," Jordan mumbled.

"Jordan, you have to tell me what you are so mad about. Whatever it is, I'll tell you the truth." I was still confused, but what I said was sincere.

"This is going to sound rude, but how did you get the scars? You know, the ones on your face." Jordan almost whispered his question.

"That's what you want to know?" I asked. "Jord, why didn't you just ask before. I've never told you, because you never asked about my life. Letang asked about my life when we were at your parent's place for Christmas and Max asked me the same question the first time I fell asleep at his place." I looked at him, he looked like he was embarrassed. "Don't be embarrassed, Jord. It's fine. You really want to know that badly?"

"I do," Jordan nodded.

"When I was in my last relationship, Adrian, that was his name, wanted me to sleep with him. I didn't want to, so he hit me a couple times. I was lucky though. I only had scars on my face, no black eyes. I also had a couple bruised ribs, but I'm fine now."

"Oh, Brylyn," Jordan pulled me into a hug. I cringed. "I'm so sorry."

I looked at him. "Jord, want to let go?"

Jordan let go and gave me a funny look.

"Sorry," I said. "I just don't like hugs. I have people claustrophobia, so if I'm in a space with too many people, against a bus window with someone beside me, in the middle seat of a vehicle, or someone gives me a hug, my body starts to freak out."

"Sorry," Jordan said. "I didn't know."

I shook my head. "No-one knows, except you and me."

"Really?" Jordan's eyes lit up. "I'm the only other person who knows?"

I chuckled. "Yes, Jordan. Letang doesn't even know. I don't know how people don't know. I cringe every time I get a hug."

"That's true," Jordan said after thinking about it. "You always cringe, but I never thought anything of it."

"Well, now you know," I smiled.

"Yes I do," Jordan returned my smile. "I should go, Max will be here soon. Thanks for telling me those things. I won't tell anyone."

"Thanks Jord," I replied as he left. "And anytime you want to talk, I'm usually here."

He waved before walking into his apartment.

Just as I was about to close the door, I saw Max walk out of the elevator. I smiled as he walked to my door. "You ready?" he asked.

"Of course," I replied, grabbing my things and locking the door as we left.