Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

thirty-three

I looked around and saw my pots and pans and other kitchen stuff spread across the dining room and kitchen. I felt Max put his hands on my shoulders. I shook his hands off and slowly made my way down the hall towards my bedroom. Max followed. When we got there, the door was closed. I looked at Max. My eyes were filled with fear and my heart was racing. I slowly opened the door to find all of my clothes thrown around my room and my laptop sitting on the floor. I gasped. Max put his arms around my waist and pulled me into him. "We need to call the police," I whispered, my voice was shaky.

"Definitely," Max agreed.

I pulled out my phone and dialed the police. "Hello, I'm Brylyn Macabbey. I just got home from an afternoon out, my door was unlocked when I got home and I found all of my belongings thrown around my house. Do you have someone who can come check my place? Or someone who can figure out what happened?"

"Sure," the lady on the other end said. "I just need some information."

I told her everything she needed to know before hanging up my phone. I turned to Max. "You better get going," I told him.

"No way," Max shook his head. "I'm not leaving you here alone."

"Max, the police are on their way," I said. "I'm calling into work and telling them I won't make it, but you have to get to practice or training camp or whatever."

"I'm not leaving until the police get here," Max told me. "I'll call Sid and tell him I'll be late." Max pulled out his phone and dialed a number.

"I did that same thing, calling work. "Hey, Barb, it's Brylyn," I said once my boss answered.

"Brylyn, you know you work in half an hour," Barb said.

"About that, my apartment was broken into, the police are on their way over. I don't think I'll make it into work tonight." I told her. "I hope that's alright. If I had a car, I would tell you I would be late, but my car broke down Saturday night after work so I can't even do that."

"Oh dear," Barb exclaimed. "Darling, don't worry about it. Was anything taken? Are you ok?"

"As far as I know, nothing was taken," I explained. I heard a knock at the door and turned to see Max answer it. "And I'm fine, I was out when it happened. The God for that."

"Agreed," Barb said. "I'll see you tomorrow, ok?"

"Thank-you so much, Barb," I said. "And I'll see you tomorrow." I hung up the phone and made my way to where Max was talking to the police.

"We just walked in and everything was like this," Max was explaining. "We didn't touch anything, but we did go to her room to see if someone was in there. There was no-one, but there was a huge mess just like this one."

The officer nodded. "Is this your apartment?" he asked, turning to me.

"It is," I said with a nod.

"Did you lock the door before you left?" the officer questioned.

"I did," I told him. "I always do."

"Are you sure you didn't forget?"

"I know for a fact I didn't forget."

"Does anyone else have a key?"

"Yes, my best friend has one."

"Does your best friend have a name?"

"Kris Letang." I was starting to get annoyed. "If you are thinking he did it, then you are terribly mistaken."

"How so?"

"Letang cares about me greatly, plus he knows I have nothing. I am pretty sure the person you are looking for was looking for something."

"I guess we will have to see what Mr Letang's alibi is," the officer said. "I'll get a couple of other officers to come and see if they can find any evidence, but in the meantime, I have to go find Mr Letang."

I stared at the officer as he left. Shock was written all over my face.

Max rubbed my arm. "You and I both know Tanger didn't do it. Don't worry, he will be ok."

I turned to Max. I could feel tears forming in my eyes. For the first time since I was a little girl, I felt the need to be hugged. Max pulled me into him and rubbed my back, telling me everything would be alright.

I couldn't help but think that Kris might not have a good alibi or, one way or another, he would be charged with breaking and entering and what ever else the police decided to charge him with.

I let my tears fall as I thought about Kris going to jail and how it would have been all my fault.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just realized that I used the same name for Brylyn's boss and her mom, oops. Oh well.