Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

thirty-four

Two hours later, a couple of officers had came and left. Max refused to leave my side; no matter how much I argued. We were now sitting in his living room, waiting for any news. There was a knock at the door. Max got up and answered the door. He came back to the living room, followed by Sidney, Marc-Andre and Jordan.

My eyes must have flashed fear because Marc-Andre and Max were at my side in a second. "He's going to be alright," Max said, his voice was soft.

"How do you know?" I snapped, and then whispered an apology.

"It's fine," Max said.

"Tanger is fine," Sidney told me. "There was a bit of an argument when the officers showed up at the rink, but he's a strong kid. He's got a sensible head on his shoulders."

I smiled a bit at what Sidney had told me, but I couldn't get the guilty feeling out of stomach. "I just feel so guilty," I whispered.

"Tout sera correct," Marc-Andre said in a soothing voice. He rubbed my back as I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Where is Vero?" I asked him.

"At home," Marc-Andre replied. "Do you want me to call her?"

I nodded and lifted my head off of his shoulder. I looked down at my feet. I was scared for Kris. I didn't want him to take the blame for something he didn't do. Suddenly the door burst open, jolting me from my thoughts. I looked over towards the doorway and saw Kris walking in. His face was concerned and guilty.

"I'm so sorry," Kris said kneeling in front of me. He placed his hands on my knees. "I'm so stupid."

I looked at him. "What do you mean?"

"I went to your place earlier today," Kris told me. His eyes held guilt. "When I left, I totally forgot to lock the door. I am so sorry, I'm responsible for someone destroying your apartment."

"Letang," I said, looking in his eyes. "I don't blame you. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Are you ok?"

Kris nodded. "Are you ok?"

"I-I don't know," I stuttered. "Yea, I think I'm just rattled. Are you going to jail?"

"No," Kris said, a small smile forming on his face.

Relief washed over me. I wrapped my arms around Kris's neck and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Thank God. I was so scared, I thought I was sending you to jail."

"Brylyn," Jordan spoke for the first time since they arrived. "I don't think you should go back to your apartment. At least not tonight. The person might come back."

"Jordan's right," Kris said, looking at me. "You can stay with me if you want, or with Max. I'm sure he wouldn't mind."

"I think I want to go to Marc-Andre's," I said, then I looked at Marc-Andre. "I mean, if it's ok with you. I want to see Vero and talk with her."

"Of course," Marc-Andre nodded. "Anything, I'm sure Vero would rather here this all from you."

I frowned a bit. "I thought you called her."

"I didn't get a chance," Marc-Andre shrugged. "Kris showed up."

I nodded. "Do you think she will let me borrow something to sleep in?"

"I think so," Marc-Andre chuckled. "Just say the word and we will go."

I nodded and stood up, making my way over to where Jordan and Sidney were standing. I gave them each a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I then walked over to Kris and gave him a quick hug. "Sorry," I muttered. Then I looked at the others. "Do you think you guys could give Max and I a minute?"

The boys nodded and left the room. I turned to Max, who looked a little stressed. "You ok?" I asked.

He looked up at me and smiled. "Yea, I'm fine."

I sat down beside him and leaned my head against him. He wrapped an arm around my waist and gave my a kiss on the top of my head.

"Thank-you," I said. "You know, for not leaving and being there when I needed you."

"Always," Max said.

I turned my head a little to look at him. His face was completely serious. I gave him a small smile. "Thank-you," I whispered.

"You're welcome," Max whispered back as we moved closer together. Our lips finally met. Just as soon as the kiss began, it ended. I looked at Max, who was looking deep into my eyes.

"It's about time," Kris said from the doorway. Max and I looked over to find Sidney, Kris, Marc-Andre and Jordan standing there with huge goofy grins on their faces.

I shook my head as I stood up. I said goodbye to the boys and followed Marc-Andre out to his car. All I could think about was that Max and I had kissed and that Vero was going to go crazy when she found out.

The thought caused me to giggle a bit, resulting in Marc-Andre giving me a weird look.

I shrugged my shoulders and went back to day-dreaming.