Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

forty-four

"Why would she do that?" Max asked. I had told everyone about my encounter with my mother and now we were on the plane ride back to Pittsburgh.

"I don't know," I replied. "But there was definitely something she wanted to talk about. I could see it in her eyes."

"So you are going to call her?" Max clarified.

"Yea, I have to," I nodded.

"Do you want me to come with you to talk to her?" Max asked. I could tell he wanted to help as much as he could and that he didn't want to see me get hurt.

"As much as I would love that, you probably shouldn't," I said. "I mean, what if you being there stops her from saying what she needs to say?"

"That's understandable," Max said. "If you need anything, I'll be a phone call away. Tanger will be there too."

"I know," I smiled up at him.

"Where are you meeting her?" Max asked.

"I don't know," I shrugged. "I guess Letang's place would be best. I'll just kick him out for a few hours. He can hang out with Jordan or Sid or something."

"I see," Max said, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. "Want to go out for supper tonight?"

I smiled. "With you? Of course." I leaned me head against his shoulder.

"Call me when you are free," Max told me.

"I will," I said as the plane got ready to land.

~~~~~

"Mom, I'm in Pittsburgh," I said into my phone. "That's where I live."

"Since when?" my mom asked.

"Since the middle of June," I replied. I was getting annoyed that she kept asking random questions. "Are you going to come here to talk or not?"

"Your father and I will see what we can do," she replied. "Maybe there is a last minute flight we can catch."

"Ok," I said, rolling my eyes. "Let me know when you get in?"

"We will, sweet heart," my mom said.

"Bye," I said and hung up my phone.

"You ok?" Kris asked walking into my room.

"Just peachy," I said, sarcastically.

"Woah," Kris said, raising his hands as if he was surrendering.

"Sorry," I mumbled, as Kris sat beside me on my bed. "She is just so frustrating. I wish she would just say or do whatever the hell she came to say or do and then leave me alone."

"It's going to be ok," Kris said, rubbing my back.

"How do you know?" I asked.

"Because you have Sid, Jord, Flower, Geno, TK, Max and me that care about you very much," Kris replied. "We will make sure nothing happens to you."

"Aww, Letang, that's the sweetest thing you've ever told me," I smiled.

"I try," Kris laughed. "I'm going to go watch a movie, care to join?"

"Sure thing," I replied, following him to the living room.