Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

forty-six

"You're adopted."

"Get out," I said, calmly.

"What?" my mom was shocked.

"Get the fuck out of this apartment," I repeated. My voice was calm, but the rest of my body was angry.

My parents looked at me, their faces wore expressions of fright. They made their way to the door and left, quietly closing the door behind them.

I sighed and pulled out my phone. It rang a couple times before someone answered. "Max," I whispered into the phone.

"Brylyn, are you ok?" Max asked, his voice sounded worried.

"Yes, I am," I replied. "I just need someone here with me."

"I'll be right over," Max said.

"Is Letang there?" I asked, before he hung up.

"He is," Max replied.

"Can you ask him to drive by and see if he can find my parents?" I questioned. "Maybe he can drop them off at a hotel."

"I'll let him know," Max said. "I'll see you soon."

"Thanks, Max," I said, before hanging up the phone. I made my way to my room and laid down on the bed. I looked at the ceiling, as if I was expecting it to answer all my questions. I knew I should have asked my parents before I kicked them out, but my shock and anger overtook me first.

I continued to lie on my bed until someone knocked on the door. I slowly got up from my bed and made my way to the door. I checked the peephole and saw Max standing there. I quickly opened the door and pulled him inside.

"You ok?" Max asked. He inspected my face. "You sounded mad on the phone."

"I am," I nodded. "Well, it's more like I was. I'm starting to relax."

"What happened?" Max asked, as he followed me to my room.

"My parents came," I replied.

"I know that," Max smirked and shook his head. "Tanger told me."

"They told some pretty shocking news," I told him. I sat down on my bed and patted the spot beside me. "Come sit."

Max sat down beside me and looked at me. "Are you going to tell me?"

"I probably should," I said. I continued to sit there, staring straight ahead. Max didn't say anything, he just sat beside me. I knew he didn't want to push me. "I was adopted," I whispered.

"Come again?" Max was taken aback.

"I was adopted," I said, this time my voice was strong.

"They only told you now?" Max asked.

"I guess so," I nodded. "That explains why we weren't very close, I guess."

"Yea but still, to wait twenty-one years and then tell you, that's crazy," Max said. "Why aren't you balling or kicking furniture in or something?"

I laughed. "There really isn't a reason to cry and the furniture isn't mine. If Letang came home to broken furniture, he'd kick my ass back to New York."

"True," Max smiled down at me.

"Thank-you for coming," I said.

"Your welcome," Max said, putting his arm around me and pulling me closer. He gave me a quick kiss. "Why did I come again? I mean, you're making jokes and stuff, you're not crying, you're not pissed, so what is the purpose of me being here?"

"I needed someone," I frowned.

"I know, I'm just bugging you," Max said, with a wink. "So are you going to talk to them?"

"Who?" I asked.

"Your parents," Max clarified.

"Oh, yea, I kind of have to."

"Why?"

"I might have kicked them out the second they told me."

"Really Brylyn? You kicked them out of the apartment?"

"Yea, I feel bad though. I never let them explain anything. I never asked questions either and I have a few that won't leave me alone."

"I'll come with you," Max offered.

"I don't know, Max," I said. "You don't really need to."

"I want to," Max said. He pulled me into his lap and kissed me.