Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

forty-nine

The next morning, I woke up next to Max. I rolled over and looked at the time. "Max," I said, shaking him so that he would wake up. "Max, wake up."

"What?" Max muttered and rolled over to look at me. "Why are you waking me up? I was having this amazing dream that you and I-"

"Max, you have practice in like half an hour," I interrupted.

"Shit," Max muttered, jumping out of bed and grabbing some clothes to put on.

Five minutes later, Max was heading out the door for practice and I was calling Vero to see if she wanted to go shopping.

"I'll pick you up in half an hour, ok?" Vero said.

"Deal," I said, before hanging up my phone. I quickly showered and threw on my jeans that I was wearing last night. I looked through Max's clothes and grabbed one of his button-down shirts. I sent Vero a text, asking her to bring a belt along. I pulled my hair loosely into a messy bun. I grabbed my iPod, phone and wallet, just as the doorbell rang. I made my way to the door and opened it to find Vero standing there holding a wide brown belt.

"Thanks," I smiled, taking the belt and wrapping it around my waist.

"No problem," Vero said. "Are you ready to go?"

"Definitely," I replied, locking the door before following her to her car.

"So, you and Max, how's that going?" Vero asked, as she pulled away from the house and drove toward a mall.

"You know, same old same old," I shrugged, but I could wipe the stupid smile off my face.

"Oh really?" Vero glanced at me with a raised eyebrow. "Is that why you are smiling like a crazy lady?"

"I am not," I said. I was still unable to wipe the grin off my face.

"Yes you are," Vero chuckled.

"Fine," I said. "But really, it's nothing important."

"Right," Vero said. "You're grinning the same way I did after the first time Marc and I-" Vero stopped mid-sentence as if she figured something out. "You slept with him."

"I always sleep in the same bed as him when I go over," I told her, even though I knew what she meant.

"Not what I mean," Vero shook her head slightly. "You two had sex."

I felt my face get hot as my cheeks flushed. I still couldn't help but grin like crazy.

"Oh my God," Vero said with a huge smile on her face. "It's about time."

"Excuse me?" I said, taken aback by her comment.

"It's just you guys are perfect for each other," Vero tried to explain. "I really don't know why you guys didn't sleep together sooner. You guys were made for each other."

"Thanks, I think," I was frowning a bit, but I shrugged it off.

Vero parked her car and the two of us got out. "So what are we shopping for?" Vero asked.

"Clothes," I said. "I need some nice stuff to wear at Max's for Christmas."

"Oh, going to meet the parents?" Vero smirked.

"Shut up," I glared at her. "It can't be that bad. Can it?"

"No probably not," Vero laughed. "Max's parents are probably great people, just like Max."

"I just want them to like me," I said, looking at Vero.

"How can they not?" Vero asked.

"Well to start, I'm six years younger than Max," I told her. "And second, I am, how do you put it, unique."

"You are unique," Vero said. "But that's why they are going to like you."

"I sure hope you are right," I said, as we walked into the mall.

Three hours later, Vero and I finished shopping. I had picked out a few outfits for Christmas at Max's, including a couple of vintage pullovers, a mustard yellow blazer, a polka-dot dress, a few pairs of jeans and a few graphic tee-shirts.