Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

fifty

"Hurry up, Brylyn, we have to be at the airport in an hour," Max said. He was standing in my bedroom doorway.

"Je me depeche," I muttered. I was throwing things around my room, trying to find my passport.

"You know I speak french, right?" Max said, a smile creeping to his face.

"Pouvez-vous m'aider?" I asked, looking at Max before starting to tear apart the contents of my desk.

"Of course," Max nodded, starting to look through my things. "Although, it is way more fun to watch you panic."

"Whatever," I muttered. "Yes!"

"What?" Max looked at me.

"I found it," I smiled. "Let's go."

"Finally," Max said as we got up and headed to the door. We were on our way to the airport so that we could go see Max's family for Christmas.

I was still nervous about meeting them, but tried not to show it.

"You ok?" Max asked as we boarded the plane.

"What?" I said, looking at him. "Oh, yea, I'm great."

"Are you sure?" Max questioned, a frown forming on his face.

"Yea," I nodded. "I guess I'm just nervous."

"My parents will love you," Max smiled down at me. He had about seven inches on my five foot three stature.

"You sound like Vero," I commented. "I'm still nervous. I mean, what if they don't? What if I say or do something that makes them not like me?"

"You won't," Max said. "I know you and I know that you are very careful. Well sometimes."

"Thanks," I said, rolling my eyes.

~~~~~

Four hours later, we got off the plane and grabbed our luggage. Max led me to a friendly looking couple, who I assumed were his parents.

"Mom, Dad, this is my girlfriend, Brylyn," Max said.

"Nice to me you," I smiled shaking their hands.

"Likewise," his mother said. "Are you from Pittsburgh?"

"No," I replied, shaking my head. "I'm from Maple Creek, Saskatchewan."

"I see," his mother nodded. Max and I put our things in the vehicle and got in the back seat. "What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a chef," I replied.

"Where do you work?" Max's father asked.

"Le Pommier Bistro Francais," I told him.

"Oh, impressive," he said, pulling out of the parking lot. He had a smile on his face.

"I was thinking about going back to school and taking culinary management," I said. "But I'm not sure yet."

"Really?" Max asked.

"Yes," I nodded and looked at him. "I was thinking about it last week when you guys were on your road trip."

"That's awesome," Max smiled. "You should definitely go."

"Trying to get rid of me?" I joked.

"Never," Max faked being shocked. "Seriously though, you should go. I think you deserve it."

"Why is that?" Max's mother asked.

"Brylyn works so hard," Max said. "She never misses work, unless it is something extremely important. She loves what she does and she's really good at it. You should taste her cooking, it's amazing."

"Oh," his mother said. "Next time we are in Pittsburgh, we will have to stop by the restaurant."

"That would be nice," I smiled.

"So why aren't you with your family for Christmas?" Max's mother asked.

"Mom!" Max scolded. "How can you ask that?"

"I was just wondering," his mother said innocently. "Not many people like to be away from their family during the holidays."

"It's fine, Max," I said, placing a hand on his shoulder to calm him down. "If you must know, I was adopted by my biological mother's sister and family holidays and get togethers bother her because her sister passed away when I was born."

"That's a little selfish of her, don't you think?" Max's mother commented.

My jaw dropped and I looked at her. I was a little insulted by what she had said about my mother. I turned to look at Max. His face was red and his breathing was deep, as if he was trying to calm himself. He glanced at me and I bit my lip.