Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

fifty-one

The rest of the drive to the Talbot's place was silent. When Mr. Talbot parked the vehicle, Max practically dragged me out of it. He grabbed our bags and lead me into the house and up to his room. He closed the door behind us and gave me a small hug.

"Are you ok?" he asked.

"Yes," I replied with a slight frown.

"I mean, did what my mom say bother you?" Max asked.

"I little bit," I admitted. "But, Max, it's not a big deal. I'm not worried about it. Most people who hear the story probably think the same thing."

"It was uncalled for," Max said. "I can't believe she said that." He shook his head and sat down on his bed.

"It's ok," I said, sitting beside him. "Do you think I can have a bath?"

"Of course," Max smiled. "The bathroom is across the hall."

"Thanks," I said, grabbing my towel and iPod before heading to the bathroom. I ran a nice hot bath and got in. I put in my earphones and let the lyrics to Ransom, by Drake and Lil Wayne, fill my ears.

About half way through the song, there was a knock at the door. "Hello?" I asked.

"Brylyn, it's Max," I heard Max say.

"You can come in," I said, pulling the shower curtain across so that I wasn't seen. I heard the door open and then close.

"So I was downstairs, talking to my mom," Max said.

"Max," I started.

"Listen," Max interrupted. "We are all going out for supper. It's an apology for what she said."

"She doesn't have to," I said.

"I know," Max said. "But she feels bad."

"Ok, what time are we going?" I asked.

"One hour," Max said before leaving.

"Perfect," I said with a sigh. I went back to listening to my iPod.

~~~~~

An hour later, I was dressed in a pair of boyfriend fit jeans and a white tank top with my mustard yellow blazer. I put on my yellow sneakers and made my way downstairs.

"Brylyn," Max said when he saw me. "You look great."

"Thanks," I said with a smile.

"You ready to go?" he asked, walking up to me and pulling my into him.

"I sure am," I said before he gave me a peck on the lips.

"Let's go," Max said, leading me to the door. "Mom and Dad are waiting."

I followed Max out to the vehicle and slid into the back seat.

"Brylyn," Max's mother started to say.

I stopped her, shaking my head. "Don't mention it. It's ok, really."

She just nodded and looked out the front window as Mr. Talbot drove away from the house.

"So where are we headed?" I asked.

"Dundee's Deli and Bar," Mr. Talbot said. "I hope that is ok."

"It sounds wonderful," I smiled. Max gave me a wink and grabbed my hand. I shook my head at him. "What kind of food does it serve?"

"Steak, burgers, salad, fries, stuff like that," Mrs. Talbot said. "You're not a vegetarian, are you?"

"Not even close," I said. "I love meat."

"Merveilleux," she said.