Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

fifty-two

"You said you were a chef?" Mr. Talbot asked. We had just ordered our food.

"Yes," I nodded. "I love working in the restaurant. It's only a few hours a night and I work every day except Sunday, but I'm not complaining."

"Very nice," he said with a smile. "And you want to go back to school?"

"I do," I nodded. "I would really like to take culinary management and then maybe open up my own restaurant. I was looking at the programs that they offer at the school I took my culinary arts at and I was thinking that maybe I would take a combined program."

"Really?" Max asked.

"Yea," I said. "I mean if I can go for one semester and get my culinary management and pastry and baking arts programs in at the same time it will save me time and I'll be back in Pittsburgh sooner."

"I like that idea," Max smiled. "Merci," he said to the waiter.

"Merci," I said to the waiter as he placed the food in front of me.

"What do you want to do once you are done school?" Mrs. Talbot asked.

"I really want to open up a small coffee shop or something small like that," I said. "Nothing too crazy."

"You want this store in Pittsburgh?" Max's mom asked.

"I was thinking about Pittsburgh," I told her. "Or maybe somewhere just outside of the 'Burgh. - really don't know yet. I've only been thinking about going back to school for a couple months now. You three are the first people I've mentioned it to. I haven't even told Letang, and I tell him just about everything."

"Letang?" Max's mom looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Kris Letang," I said. "I share a place with him."

"Oh," she frowned a bit.

"It's kind of a temporary situation," I said with a shrug. "I had a break in and a threatening note taped to the door of my old apartment, so Letang offered me a place where everyone knew I would be safe."

Mrs. Talbot just nodded and dropped the subject.

The rest of the supper went smoothly as the Talbot's got to know me. I was never really big on people asking me questions, but I knew they meant well.

~~~~~

I called Kris on Christmas to see how his holiday was and to wish him a Merry Christmas.

"How's meeting the parents?" Kris asked.

"It's good," I told him. "Awkward at times, but I mean that's only normal right?"

"Of course," Kris chuckled.

"They asked like every question in the book," I said.

"That's understandable," Kris said. "They just want to make sure Max's lover isn't just in it for the money."

"Thank-you for putting it that way," I said with a laugh. "Truthfully, if I was after someone's money, why would I go through the trouble of going to school and wanting to go back?"

"People are weird," Kris said. "Wait, did you just say you wanted to go back to school?"

"Uh, yea," I said. "I've been thinking about it for a month or so. I'm thinking maybe I'll go back and take the culinary management and pasty and baking arts programs."

"That's cool," Kris said.

"Brylyn," I heard Max call from downstairs.

"Letang, I have to go, Max is calling for me," I told him.

"Ok well, Merry Christmas," Kris said.

"Same to you," I replied before hanging up my phone and heading down stairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
So my computer is down and it's a little bit difficult to update off my blackberry but I'll see what I can do