Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

fifty-four

"You have to come out tonight," Kris said. He was standing outside my bedroom door. "You are always working."

"Letang, you know I have to work tonight," I said through my door. "It's a Saturday. Besides, don't you guys have a game tonight?"

"We are going out after the game," Kris informed me.

"Even if you lose?"

"Even if we lose. It's New Year's Eve, you know."

"I know that it's New year's Eve. There's one reason I don't want to go out."

"Because it's the biggest party of the year?" Kris asked.

"Exactly," I rolled my eyes. "No, because I don't do partying, if you haven't noticed."

"Oh, I've noticed," Kris said. "And we are going to change that."

"I doubt it," I said, opening my bedroom door. I was dressed in my work clothes. "Do you think you can find a ride to the rink?"

"Probably," Kris said. "But why would I want to if I have a car?"

"Can I borrow your car?" I asked, walking to the kitchen and grabbing a water from the fridge. "I have to be at work early."

"On one condition," Kris said, a smirk forming on his face.

"And what would that be?" I asked.

"You come out tonight," the smirk still planted on his face.

"Letang," I said, ready to argue.

"No partying, no car," Kris smiled and started walking away.

"Fine, but I have nothing to wear," I said.

"That's ok," Kris said, handing me his keys. "Staalsy and I will take care of it."

"That's exactly what I'm afraid of," I muttered.

"What time are you done work?" Kris asked.

"Eleven," I replied.

"Come to the arena after," Kris said.

"Ok," I nodded before walking out the door. I made my way to the parking lot and got into Kris' car before driving of in the direction of work.

I was about half way to work, when my phone started ringing. I glanced at it and noticed it was work calling. I pulled over and answered my phone.

"Hello," I said into the phone.

"Brylyn, hi, it's Barb," my boss said.

"Hey Barb, what's up? I was just on my way," I told her.

"I have a family emergency," Barb said. "I'm shutting down the restaurant until Thursday because I have to go out of town."

"Oh, ok," I said. "Are you alright?"

"Yes, my dad is in the hospital though," Barb replied. "I'll let you know if I'm going to be longer."

"Ok," I nodded, even though she couldn't see. "I hope your father is ok."

"Thanks, Brylyn," Barb said before hanging up.

I sighed and turned the car back in the direction of Kris' place.

When I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed Jordan's SUV parked beside Kris' parking stall. "Great," I muttered as I got out of the car and made my way to the elevator.