Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

fifty-six

I got to the arena so early, the parking lot was empty. I grabbed my belongings and went inside to get my ticket. I knew Kris would have one sent to the will call booth the second he waked in the door. I quickly texted Vero to see if she was going to be at the game and walked to the window.

"Is there a ticket here for Brylyn Macabbey?" I asked the lady.

"I'll check," she smiled at me and turned to check who she had tickets for. She came back to the window with an envelope in her hand. "I do have tickets for Brylyn. Do you have id?"

"Of course," I said, pulling out my photo id and handing it to her.

She quickly scanned my information and then handed me the envelope and my id. "Thank-you."

"And thank-you," I said before taking the stuff and walking away. I decided to walk around the arena while I waited for the game to start. I didn't look at where the seat was, but I knew that if Kris had his way the seat would be good.

After walking around for a bit, my phone started vibrating. I pulled it out of my pocket to see a message from Vero saying that she had to work so she wouldn't be there. I sent a message back and decided to find my seat, seeing as people were starting to arrive.

I looked at the ticket and noticed that the seat was right beside the Penguins player box. I shook my head and smiled at the fact that the seat was my favorite place to sit.

I quickly walked to the seat and sat there watching the boys warm-up. They were taking shots on Marc-Andre. While I sat and watched, I started to daydream about going back to school and opening up my own restaurant.

I was shaken out of my thoughts when someone sat down beside me.

"Lyn? Is that you?" A familiar voice asked.

I slowly turned in my seat, dreading that the person beside me was the person I thought it was.

"Lyn, it is you," the man looked at me. "How have you been?"

I felt my heart speed up and my breathing became staggered. "What do you want Adrian?"

"I just came to watch a game," Adrian replied.

"You don't even live in Pittsburgh," I said. I was trying to calm myself down. Today was probably the worst day for him to show up again.

"As a matter of fact, I do," Adrian smirked. "I moved over Christmas."

I looked out onto the ice to see the boys getting ready for the puck to drop. I looked at the bench beside me and noticed Jordan giving me a weird look. I knew my face probably had fright written all over it but there was no way for me to tell Jordan what was going on.

"What have you been up to?" Adrian asked, pulling my attention back to him.

"I've been busy doing stuff," I told him. It was none of his business what I was doing and I wasn't about ready to tell him.

"How's work?" Adrian pried.

"Great," I replied, trying to focus on the game.

"And how is living with that hockey player?" He asked. "What's his name? Kurt?"

"How do you know who I live with?" I asked, keeping my eyes on the play in front of me.

"I just know these things," he shrugged. "What about that one you are dating? Mark or Mario?"

"What about him?" I glanced at Adrian and noticed all his attention was on me.

"Would he even notice you were gone?" He whispered, leaning closer to me.

"Without a doubt," I nodded slightly.

"Well we will have to see if you are telling the truth," Adrian whispered in my ear, making me shiver.

I moved away from him and looked at the bench again. This time I saw Max and Jordan looking at me before Max hopped onto the ice for his shift.

Max's line scored the first goal of the game, the excitement gave Adrian perfect timing to grab my wrist and give me a small tug.

I could feel tears forming in my eyes as I glanced at the bench one last time before Adrian started pulling me away from the seats.

I wasn't sure if anyone saw, but I was sure hoping Jordan had been continuing to watch me.