Crazy Beginnings and Happy Endings

fifty-nine

When Jordan and Max were finished talking to Crystal, Kris went to give her a brief description of what happened in Pittsburgh.

"Are you ok?" Jordan asked, sitting beside me.

"Staalsy, she was just kidnapped and almost raped," Max said. "Do you think she is ok?"

"Oh, I guess not," Jordan looked down.

I chuckled a bit. "It's ok, Jord. I could be worse off, you know."

"I'm glad you aren't," Jordan said, looking at me.

I pulled him into an awkward side hug. "Sorry I ruined your New Year's Eve," I said.

"You didn't," Jordan said, shaking his head. I gave him a look. "Really, I would rather be here than at some club."

"Really?" I asked, skeptically. "You would rather be in a police station than at a club with some girl grinding on you?"

"Yes," Jordan said, quickly. "Wait, that's a trick question." He frowned and thought about what I asked. "You're mean."

"Thanks," I chuckled.

"It's good to see you're laughing," Max said, taking my hand in his.

"It's nice to be laughing, rather than scared for my life," I told him. I turned and looked in his eyes. I could tell all of his concern and worry was disappearing.

"Promise me something?" Max asked.

"Anything," I smiled.

"Never get kidnapped by an ex again, it's freaking scary," Max said, his tone serious.

"The only crazy ex I have is now in jail," I told him with a smile. "So I don't think that will be a problem."

"Good," Max returned my smile before giving me a kiss.

"Please don't," Jordan complained from beside me.

"Don't what?" I looked at him.

"Make out beside me," Jordan said. His face wore an expression of pure disgust.

"Oh, you mean like this?" I asked before turning to Max and planting my lips on his. Max smiled into the kiss and kept it going, knowing it would bother Jordan.

"Stop," Jordan whined.

"Please," Kris' voice came from behind us.

Max and I pulled apart and started laughing.

"Am I missing something?" Kris asked.

"Don't worry about it," I said, shaking my head. "Are we able to go now?"

"Yes," Crystal said, walking up to us. "I'll call you if I have any more questions."

"Ok, thanks," I said, shaking her hand.

"I'll call you when I know anything about the trial," Crystal added before the four of us left the station.

We got into Max's car and started our trip back to Pittsburgh. I started to feel drowsy and leaned my head against the window. I closed my eyes and before I knew it I drifted off.

~~~~~

I slowly opened my eyes and rolled over. I looked around the room and realized I was in Max's room. I noticed that Max wasn't in bed, so I got up and changed into a pair of his shorts and a tee-shirt. I made my way to the kitchen to get some breakfast and found Max standing at the stove. The smell of bacon and eggs filled my nostrils causing me to smile. I silently walked up behind Max and snaked my arms around his waist before resting my head on his back.

"Morning," Max said, turning so that he was facing me.

"Morning, love," I smiled up at him. "Breakfast smells good."

"Thanks," Max looked down at me. "I just hope it tastes good."

"It'll be great," I reassured him. "So, what are we doing today?"

"Whatever you want to do," Max replied. "I don't have practice, so we have all day."

"Can we go skating?" I asked while I grabbed a couple of plates from his cupboard.

"Sure," Max said. "You know how to skate?"

"Max, I come from Saskatchewan," I reminded him. "I used to skate on the frozen dugout at my grandfather farm."

"Just because you are from Saskatchewan doesn't mean you can skate," Max pointed out.

"It's not common unless you come from a city," I told him.

"Well how about after breakfast we go get you some warmer clothes and then go find a rink," Max suggested.

"Can we invite the others?" I asked.

"I don't see why not," Max said.

"Can we have a game of hockey?" I asked with a smile.

"Are you sure?" Max asked.

"Definitely," I smirked.

"Let me guess, you've played before?" Max asked.

"I have," I nodded and put food into my plate. "I used to play a bit in high school."

"What position?" Max asked. He sat down at the table and started eating.

"Goal," I shrugged, like it was no big deal. I dug into my food. "This is really good."

"Thanks," Max smiled. "You played goal?"

"A little bit," I nodded. "I probably wasn't that great. I never really had equipment that fit seeing as I didn't play much."

"Was it a women's league?" Max questioned.

"No," I shook my head. "It was the guy's high school team."

"Damn," Max said. "You must have been pretty good."

"Maybe, I don't really know," I said before finishing off my food. I got up and rinsed off my plate before putting it in the dishwasher. Max followed in suit.

"Do you want to play goal against the guys?" Max asked.

"Max, I don't have equipment," I looked at him like he was crazy.

"I'll call Flower and see if he has anything you can use," Max offered.

"Make sure you invite both him and Vero," I said before going to grab my clothes that I wore yesterday. "And call the rest of the guys."

"I will," Max said.